Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

I am curious about Luke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am curious about Luke.

Why is it that Luke talks about Simeon Anna Elizabeth and Zechariah? I do not mean to say that those stories are not useful or good. Far from that. Why Luke however? Mathew and Mark spoke to a primarily Hebrew audience. Why did Luke choose to tell of these things to theophilus?

I am most curious.
    sigpic

We can't exactly know what Luke was intending. But we can try to build a broader context based on what Luke talked about.

Much information about the Messiah (and the hope of Israel) had been expressed by Zechariah. There appears to be an interest in showing the Jewish context from which (and for which) the Messiah appeared. This would be important for non-Jewish people to understand. There likely would be an apologetic aspect -- to explain the Messianic message, now more popular among Gentiles, to the rest of the world. Without such context, Paul (or others) would have to confront more situations like Rom 11 where the Gentiles weren't thinking so highly of Jews.

Also, many miraculous and prophetic events were described. We see then that certain stirrings among the people had been created -- even before Jesus had begun public ministry. So the gospel message had basis for acceptance among Jews and among Gentiles.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 07-25-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

One of the first questions we ask when examining context: To whom was Luke writing?

Luke was writing to Theophilus about Jesus. Luke also wrote the book of Acts, also to Theophilus. I think that might be a key.

I think Luke was wanting Theophilus (most likely a Roman official) to understand that that this "new thing" (the Gospel of Jesus - which would become very disruptive as he records in Acts) was a fulfillment of OT prophecy, not a distortion of the Jewish faith. (All of those people are old, perhaps suggesting "the old way", and the birth of Jesus represented "the new way")

By the way, I heard somebody say of the Book of Luke and the Book of Acts that it's "the same guy telling the same guy about the same guy". (Luke telling Theophilus about Jesus)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        Much information about the Messiah (and the hope of Israel) had been expressed by Zechariah. There appears to be an interest in showing the Jewish context from which (and for which) the Messiah appeared. This would be important for non-Jewish people to understand.

Also, many miraculous and prophetic events were described. We see then that certain stirrings among the people had been created -- even before Jesus had begun public ministry.
        Makes sense. If you are talking to people who did not know the Torah you have to give a background.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          One of the first questions we ask when examining context: To whom was Luke writing?

Luke was writing to Theophilus about Jesus. Luke also wrote the book of Acts, also to Theophilus. I think that might be a key.

I think Luke was wanting Theophilus (most likely a Roman official) to understand that that this "new thing" (the Gospel of Jesus - which would become very disruptive as he records in Acts) was a fulfillment of OT prophecy, not a distortion of the Jewish faith. (All of those people are old, perhaps suggesting "the old way", and the birth of Jesus represented "the new way")

By the way, I heard somebody say of the Book of Luke and the Book of Acts that it's "the same guy telling the same guy about the same guy". (Luke telling Theophilus about Jesus)
          Thank you.
          sigpic

Comment

Cow Poke may be a bit more accurate in narrowing the discussion to the addressee of Luke's gospel. I have assumed a broader audience. It is hard to know why the gospel is written for Theophilus. And was Theophilus one who would purposely share this gospel with a broader crowd?

Comment

What got me thinking about this was I was reading Luke tonight. I know that prophecy is prevalent in all of the gospels John makes a lot of it. I know that each book in the bible was written to specific folks across several years.

I remember learning about jesus using the title son of man came from Daniel 7.

I must admit some books of the bible are far more familiar to me than others.
              sigpic

Comment

It is interesting that we dont really know who theophilus is.
                sigpic

Comment

I think there's a clue in Luke 2:19-20, "But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart." How would Luke have known that? Apparently Luke had some kind of connection with Mary, which would have helped to give him insight to events surrounding the birth of Jesus that the other authors didn't have.
                  When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    It is interesting that we dont really know who theophilus is.
                    I've heard everything from he was a Roman Official, a Jew from Alexandria, and even Paul's lawyer in Rome. There's even a school of thought that he was a Jewish High Priest, Theophilus ben Ananus.

I think the one thing we can agree on... Luke highly revered and respected him.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                      I think there's a clue in Luke 2:19-20, "But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart." How would Luke have known that? Apparently Luke had some kind of connection with Mary, which would have helped to give him insight to events surrounding the birth of Jesus that the other authors didn't have.
                      It certainly is possible. I know that in John I believe that they talk about how you could never have a big enough book to record the life of jesus. Still it is intriguing to imagine. Imagine the gospel writers with an industrial printer
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        It just occurred to me the other night.... think about the fact that Simeon did the blessing, then I can imagine him saying, "oh, Mary - by the way, this baby is destined for big trouble, and so are you".

As for how Simeon got the information about what Mary was thinking - the Bible says that the Holy Spirit was upon him, has visited him and told him he wouldn't die before seeing the Christ, and led him to the Temple for this event. It's entirely possible that the Holy Spirit told Simeon what was in Mary's heart.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                          It certainly is possible. I know that in John I believe that they talk about how you could never have a big enough book to record the life of jesus. Still it is intriguing to imagine. Imagine the gospel writers with an industrial printer

Scripture Verse: John 21:25

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I always just assumed that when Luke says Theophilus (god lover), he is not writing it to one specific individual but is simply speaking to the reader. As in, the "theophilus" is anyone who read the gospel wanting to learn about Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              Maybe it's just me, but I always just assumed that when Luke says Theophilus (god lover), he is not writing it to one specific individual but is simply speaking to the reader. As in, the "theophilus" is anyone who read the gospel wanting to learn about Jesus.
                              Nope - not just you. That's certainly another possibility. Just kinda odd that he wouldn't just say that.

Comment