Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NYPD Officers Doused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    In Chicago, a community block party had a pinata in the shape of an ICE agent. The group that brought it denied that this promotes violence against anybody. Yeah right.

https://www.newsweek.com/surprise-ic...-party-1450968
    One of our biggest pro-police advocates (a fellow police chaplain) is a black from New Orleans who grew up hating police, and with his friends, devising ways to harass them. They would actively phone in prank calls so they could commit crimes on the other end of the city, throw rocks at police cars from the woods, and generally show their contempt - but nowhere near as brazenly as we're seeing today. He says "even as a thug, I realized there was shame in what I was doing".

These people feel no shame.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      One of our biggest pro-police advocates (a fellow police chaplain) is a black from New Orleans who grew up hating police, and with his friends, devising ways to harass them. They would actively phone in prank calls so they could commit crimes on the other end of the city, throw rocks at police cars from the woods, and generally show their contempt - but nowhere near as brazenly as we're seeing today. He says "even as a thug, I realized there was shame in what I was doing".

These people feel no shame.
      Except when they have been arrested and stand before a judge at arraignment. You can be sure they will pretend to be contrite then.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Except when they have been arrested and stand before a judge at arraignment. You can be sure they will pretend to be contrite then.
        That's the sad part --- I'm not in court NEARLY as much as I used to be, but I do make appearances for various reasons related to people we're working with, and I'm amazed at the defiance of some of these thugs even in court.

When we were kids, and did stupid stuff, and got caught, we "fessed up" and "faced the music". These kids? Wow... they'll continue to lie, blame, pitch a fit, cuss.....
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          That's the sad part --- I'm not in court NEARLY as much as I used to be, but I do make appearances for various reasons related to people we're working with, and I'm amazed at the defiance of some of these thugs even in court.

When we were kids, and did stupid stuff, and got caught, we "fessed up" and "faced the music". These kids? Wow... they'll continue to lie, blame, pitch a fit, cuss.....
          They might do that once or twice, but once they find out the judge has no sympathy for jerks and sets a trial date, they tend to learn at least to pretend to be sorry.

I was sitting at a motion hour here one time, waiting for our trial to start, and they paraded prisoner after prisoner before the judge with their public defenders trying to get deferrals or dismissals, or drug treatment, etc. - nearly everyone was "I recognize what i did was wrong and I need help" - and generally the judges here are pretty lenient on first and even second time offenders, but there was this one girl, couldn't have been more than 20, and she apparently was there for skipping out on court ordered rehab for like the 2nd or third time. Judge was not happy with her. He basically set a trial date and said if she didn't show up he would issue a warrant on her. She was crying when they led her out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            They might do that once or twice, but once they find out the judge has no sympathy for jerks and sets a trial date, they tend to learn at least to pretend to be sorry.

I was sitting at a motion hour here one time, waiting for our trial to start, and they paraded prisoner after prisoner before the judge with their public defenders trying to get deferrals or dismissals, or drug treatment, etc. - nearly everyone was "I recognize what i did was wrong and I need help" - and generally the judges here are pretty lenient on first and even second time offenders, but there was this one girl, couldn't have been more than 20, and she apparently was there for skipping out on court ordered rehab for like the 2nd or third time. Judge was not happy with her. He basically set a trial date and said if she didn't show up he would issue a warrant on her. She was crying when they led her out.
            Around here there would be no chance of her missing trial since she would have had her bail revoked.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Around here there would be no chance of her missing trial since she would have had her bail revoked.
              I am assuming she didn't have any really big charges against her and the judge was going easy on her because of her age. But he was not happy with her at all. He was pretty stern and made her cry. I think he got through to her. At least I hope so.

Comment