Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Best Console options

  1. #1
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,281
    Amen (Given)
    2800
    Amen (Received)
    3097

    Best Console options

    My wife is wanting to get a new console for the family.
    We do still have my old PS2 (for Crash Nitrocart and Prince of Persian) , and a Nintendo Wii (although both are still in the storage unit after moving)

    Because I've done more pc gaming (and at that, RTS and Turn Based Strategy) than console gaming, I'm not up to speed on which is the best option between the Nintendo Switch (which I can play Civ VI on so a definite plus), XBox or PS4.
    Kids are aged 7, 8,10 and nearly 13 (all girls) so they need to have a decent catalogue of age appropriate games (and because will be on the TV, age appropriate for the 7 year old to watch)
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  2. #2
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,487
    Amen (Given)
    11871
    Amen (Received)
    25278
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    ...
    Kids are aged 7, 8,10 and nearly 13 (all girls)...
    You can help me write my book! "My Life in the Girls' Dormitory"
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  3. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
  4. #3
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,636
    Amen (Given)
    18777
    Amen (Received)
    3641
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    My wife is wanting to get a new console for the family.
    We do still have my old PS2 (for Crash Nitrocart and Prince of Persian) , and a Nintendo Wii (although both are still in the storage unit after moving)

    Because I've done more pc gaming (and at that, RTS and Turn Based Strategy) than console gaming, I'm not up to speed on which is the best option between the Nintendo Switch (which I can play Civ VI on so a definite plus), XBox or PS4.
    Kids are aged 7, 8,10 and nearly 13 (all girls) so they need to have a decent catalogue of age appropriate games (and because will be on the TV, age appropriate for the 7 year old to watch)
    Switch has far more family friendly* options, but also has portability. The others have family friendly stuff too, but usually not as high quality IMO. Oh, and Switch does have more of a focus on local co-op too. It also comes with two joycons out of the box. This means you can buy another pair to have 4 people playing at a significantly cheaper price than the other two.

    *They sell other stuff too on their e-shop, but the parental controls are something they go out of their way to advertise. I expect they are a bit stronger than the competition, especially knowing their history.
    Last edited by Cerebrum123; 07-27-2019 at 06:39 AM.

  5. Amen Raphael amen'd this post.
  6. #4
    tWebber ReformedApologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    239
    Amen (Given)
    36
    Amen (Received)
    83
    If you get an Xbox go with the 360.

  7. #5
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,857
    Amen (Given)
    4987
    Amen (Received)
    22099
    Nintendo usually has the more family friendly "cartoon" games. Xbox and PS2 usually seem to have the more violent shoot-em-up type games. at least that is my impression.

  8. Amen The Melody Maker, Raphael amen'd this post.
  9. #6
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,281
    Amen (Given)
    2800
    Amen (Received)
    3097
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Nintendo usually has the more family friendly "cartoon" games. Xbox and PS2 usually seem to have the more violent shoot-em-up type games. at least that is my impression.
    sounding more and more like it will be the Switch
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  10. #7
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,857
    Amen (Given)
    4987
    Amen (Received)
    22099
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    sounding more and more like it will be the Switch
    one thing to be aware of, there has been a lot of problems with the switch's controllers:

    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...results-are-in

  11. #8
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,636
    Amen (Given)
    18777
    Amen (Received)
    3641
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    one thing to be aware of, there has been a lot of problems with the switch's controllers:

    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...results-are-in
    They just announced repairing them for free. In my personal experience they have really good customer support too.

  12. #9
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,857
    Amen (Given)
    4987
    Amen (Received)
    22099
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    They just announced repairing them for free. In my personal experience they have really good customer support too.
    AFTER being sued for it? Doesn't sound like good support to me. Apparently they ignored the problem until the lawsuit.

  13. #10
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,636
    Amen (Given)
    18777
    Amen (Received)
    3641
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    AFTER being sued for it? Doesn't sound like good support to me. Apparently they ignored the problem until the lawsuit.
    They had an issue with connection on the controllers too, but they fixed mine for free right away. I got it back in less than a week. I'm guessing most of these controllers with drift were past their warranty as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •