Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Best Console options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Console options

My wife is wanting to get a new console for the family.
    We do still have my old PS2 (for Crash Nitrocart and Prince of Persian) , and a Nintendo Wii (although both are still in the storage unit after moving)

Because I've done more pc gaming (and at that, RTS and Turn Based Strategy) than console gaming, I'm not up to speed on which is the best option between the Nintendo Switch (which I can play Civ VI on so a definite plus), XBox or PS4.
    Kids are aged 7, 8,10 and nearly 13 (all girls) so they need to have a decent catalogue of age appropriate games (and because will be on the TV, age appropriate for the 7 year old to watch)
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    Kids are aged 7, 8,10 and nearly 13 (all girls)...
    You can help me write my book! "My Life in the Girls' Dormitory"
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My wife is wanting to get a new console for the family.
      We do still have my old PS2 (for Crash Nitrocart and Prince of Persian) , and a Nintendo Wii (although both are still in the storage unit after moving)

Because I've done more pc gaming (and at that, RTS and Turn Based Strategy) than console gaming, I'm not up to speed on which is the best option between the Nintendo Switch (which I can play Civ VI on so a definite plus), XBox or PS4.
      Kids are aged 7, 8,10 and nearly 13 (all girls) so they need to have a decent catalogue of age appropriate games (and because will be on the TV, age appropriate for the 7 year old to watch)
      Switch has far more family friendly* options, but also has portability. The others have family friendly stuff too, but usually not as high quality IMO. Oh, and Switch does have more of a focus on local co-op too. It also comes with two joycons out of the box. This means you can buy another pair to have 4 people playing at a significantly cheaper price than the other two.

*They sell other stuff too on their e-shop, but the parental controls are something they go out of their way to advertise. I expect they are a bit stronger than the competition, especially knowing their history.
      Last edited by Cerebrum123; 07-27-2019, 08:39 AM.

Comment

If you get an Xbox go with the 360.

Comment

Nintendo usually has the more family friendly "cartoon" games. Xbox and PS2 usually seem to have the more violent shoot-em-up type games. at least that is my impression.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Nintendo usually has the more family friendly "cartoon" games. Xbox and PS2 usually seem to have the more violent shoot-em-up type games. at least that is my impression.
            sounding more and more like it will be the Switch

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

sounding more and more like it will be the Switch
              one thing to be aware of, there has been a lot of problems with the switch's controllers:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...results-are-in

Comment

one thing to be aware of, there has been a lot of problems with the switch's controllers:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...results-are-in
                They just announced repairing them for free. In my personal experience they have really good customer support too.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  They just announced repairing them for free. In my personal experience they have really good customer support too.
                  AFTER being sued for it? Doesn't sound like good support to me. Apparently they ignored the problem until the lawsuit.

Comment

AFTER being sued for it? Doesn't sound like good support to me. Apparently they ignored the problem until the lawsuit.
                    They had an issue with connection on the controllers too, but they fixed mine for free right away. I got it back in less than a week. I'm guessing most of these controllers with drift were past their warranty as well.

Comment

That's very Apple like behaviour from Nintendo

-Ben Witherington III

Comment