Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court: The Wall Can Go Foward...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
    Sure.

However, if you help create a problem - and then 30 years later the consequence of that problem materialises in the form of people fleeing. I have little sympathy for a hard-line response from the US. Maybe don't interfere in these countries, or if you do, make sure that you leave them better than you found them so that people aren't motivated to flee. The number of people leaving stable countries in the region are not high.
    If there had been a hard line response thirty years ago, most of these governments might not have been so eager to experiment with their economies.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Right, so the plan is clearly moronic - since if they are being persecuted in their home country it is not a safe place to be or ask for asylum.
      You DO know what an embassy is, right?
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        You DO know what an embassy is, right?
        Or Consulates. Embassies (one each) tend to be in capital cities of countries, whereas Consulates (sometimes multiple per country) are located in tourist areas of those countries.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm glad we have the definition rather than your spin.

Right, temporary protection from someone standing in front of it with a net. Again, it seems like a good way to round people up - or make it impractical for people to ask for asylum in the US. Some of whom are genuine refugees seeking to escape persecution.
          Okay, so you DON'T know what an embassy is...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

MM already covered this - but no, this isn't the basis for asylum. Now, as for refugee status - no, still not there.
            Huh. Are you sure about that? Political opinion, check. Torture, check. Check.

Also, the persecution doesn't have to come from governments it seems. Gangs too, if they don't like your political opinion, for instance, and act to harm you, that too is sufficient.

Comment

It's a building considered home ground of a foreign country. However, outside of it, you're fair game. Much like Assange was, he didn't want to leave it for a reason - the net.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Or Consulates. Embassies (one each) tend to be in capital cities of countries, whereas Consulates (sometimes multiple per country) are located in tourist areas of those countries.
                I'm not sure that you have any idea what it feels like to be hunted by people that want to kill or torture you for your political opinions or beliefs. Do you seriously think that, if you're being hunted, you're going to go to a consulate, fill in a form, then head home for dinner?

Some really horrible things happen to people in some of these countries. Are you so hard-hearted to not be able to understand the horror of life as an innocent that falls into a category of persecution in an unstable country?

Comment

I'm picturing someone with an oversized dog catchers net ready to snare anybody seeking asylum at the embassy.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

My beef is the belief that the first safe place to apply is IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY. That is, moronic, by definition almost. The second issue is whether an embassy is actually able to provide these services, they certainly cannot protect people for any length of time - particularly if the person faces persecution if they are sent back to their country (i.e., outside the embassy). My third concern is whether the third countries that absorb these people are sufficiently safe / able to support people to actually wait out the process - which can last months to years. Many countries in the region already hold significant numbers of refugees from the region, this is troubling for the long-term stability of the region.
                    All Trump is saying is while we would prefer the refugees go to our embassy in your home country to ask for asylum there if they are afraid to do so and decide to make the trek then the refugee must ask for asylum in the first safe country we have an agreement with to help out any refugee which in this case is Guatemala. which is our law one we've had on the books for years. The UN even has such a law. Zara how do they get to the U.S walking from their home country in South America without going through Guatemala

So again what is your problem with the UN and U.S laws hmm?
                    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 07-28-2019, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                      do you know how to read Zara, Guatemala is not the home country it is the country those fleeing from their HOME countries start their trek to the U.S. So tell me what is your problem with htem applying in a country that is not htier home country but has an agreement with the U.S to provide a safe place for so called refugees to stay while being their application is being looked at.
                      I was responding to Sparko, not your question. So your response is effectively a strawman.

If you read the rest of my comment, since I even says what one of my problems with that could be. I.e., that 'agreement to provide a safe place' may not be worth the paper it is printed on, if it's not actually a safe place. Tell me, do you think Guatamala is a safe place? 'According to New Yorker magazine, in 2009, fewer civilians were reported killed in the war zone of Iraq than were shot, stabbed, or beaten to death in Guatemala, and 97% of homicides "remain unsolved."'
                      Last edited by Zara; 07-28-2019, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure that you have any idea what it feels like to be hunted by people that want to kill or torture you for your political opinions or beliefs. Do you seriously think that, if you're being hunted, you're going to go to a consulate, fill in a form, then head home for dinner?

Some really horrible things happen to people in some of these countries. Are you so hard-hearted to not be able to understand the horror of life as an innocent that falls into a category of persecution in an unstable country?
                        Wow, Zara -- get a grip! I simply posted some information about Embassies and Consulates. Are you so cold-hearted that you lash out at people who simply provide information?

You might try dialing down the drama and sanctimony just a tad.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wow, Zara -- get a grip! I simply posted some information about Embassies and Consulates. Are you so cold-hearted that you lash out at people who simply provide information?

You might try dialing down the drama and sanctimony just a tad.
                          Sorry, I was confused by why you were posting the information. I assumed it wasn't contextual less, and to show that these people could just go down the road to a consulate if they really wanted to ask for asylum. In general, also, it was more aimed at the general air of 'there is actually no problem', when there clearly is one. Since the rational argument appears to be falling on hard-hearts, I took a more direct approach.
                          Last edited by Zara; 07-28-2019, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry, it was more aimed at the general air of 'there is actually no problem', when there clearly is one. Since the rational argument appears to be falling on hard-hearts, I took a more direct approach.
                            Revealing your character in the process, I might add.

Comment

Revealing your character in the process, I might add.
                              Huh? Yeah, my character is to assume people don't understand what it's like to be persecuted. Since, people in this thread appear to not understand what it's actually like, to be persecuted.

Comment

Huh? Yeah, my character is to assume people don't understand what it's like to be persecuted. Since, people in this thread appear to not understand what it's actually like, to be persecuted.
                                You character seems to be that you are looking for a fight and don't care where you find it. But please, BATTLE ON! Maybe it will make you feel better while accomplishing absolutely nothing. THAT appears to be your character.

Comment