Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Racist Tweet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I grew up in the South. I've actually known real, live Yellow Dog Democrats. There is literally no way those folks would become Republicans - because the Republicans were the party of Reconstruction. Now, you Yankees might have to look up Reconstruction to get the reference - but no Southerner would need to. Being a Republican in the South was just a hair shy of being a traitor - well, we might put up with ya, but we weren't gonna like it.

Stop trying to rewrite history. The Democrats WERE the Southern party - the Dixiecrats were an offshoot that ran its course and went back to the Democratic party. Civil Rights did cause a rift in that party - but it didn't split until MUCH later and for different reasons.
    See my post #375

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Tea, the southern democrats became republicans because the democrat party supported and passed civil rights bills, first by Truman, and then by President Johnson. When Truman, a democrat, ran for the democratic nomination back in 1948 and introduced a pro civil rights platform, a faction of the party walked out and formed the Dixiecrats, held their own convention, and nominated Strom Thurmond to go up against Truman. Then 16 years later L.B. Johnson, another democrat, signed into law the civil rights act of 1964, and the voting right act of 1965, knowing at the time that by doing so the democrats were probably going to lose the south for generations to come. And that is exactly what happened. The southern democrats became republicans because of the democrat party's stance on civil rights.
      No, they most certainly did not. The shift to the Republican party doesn't occur until TWENTY years later. There was indeed trouble in the Democratic Party - had been for years - and Civil Rights did in fact play a major role in making it worse. BUT the South was so ridiculously Democrat that it literally didn't make that much of a difference - the worst some would do was split ticket but even that was rare. The Southern Democrats ran much more conservative, that's true - but they were to the right of Republicans at the time and wouldn't have been caught dead talking to one. They stayed in the party DESPITE the rift over Civil Rights.

Southern Democrats DESPISED the Republicans - the word Reconstruction MATTERS here. There was no way in the double hockey sticks that they would have become Republicans. Get over it - DID NOT HAPPEN.

The shift to the Republicans doesn't occur until the 1980's when the first Republican wins the first major election in something close to 100 years in the South. But the South still wasn't majority Republican until the mid/late 1990's.

Civil Rights was 1950's through the end of the 1960's. You might argue early Seventies but that doesn't change the fact that there is no such shift until the 1990's.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

No, they most certainly did not...
        Jim alone is correct - you're wrong, along with everybody else, and all credible news sources.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

See my post #375
          Already saw it - and you are flat out wrong.

You're now trying to tell a Southerner who lived through - and formally studied - the era what happened. That AIN'T gonna work.

This is probably because you're a Yankee - you guys really have no idea just how despised the Republicans were for Reconstruction - or how long it lasted. Yellow Dogs might hate the party leadership but they were not going to be Republicans in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Heck, even Wallace, who ran for president as a Dixiecrat, ran for governor his last term as a Democrat. Blacks in the South are still extremely strongly Democrat - and 90% of them voted for Wallace in that election (1984, if memory serves) - which would not have happened if he was a closet Republican.

Reality does not back you up here.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Jim alone is correct - you're wrong, along with everybody else, and all credible news sources.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I grew up in the South. I've actually known real, live Yellow Dog Democrats. There is literally no way those folks would become Republicans - because the Republicans were the party of Reconstruction. Now, you Yankees might have to look up Reconstruction to get the reference - but no Southerner would need to. Being a Republican in the South was just a hair shy of being a traitor - well, we might put up with ya, but we weren't gonna like it.

Stop trying to rewrite history. The Democrats WERE the Southern party - the Dixiecrats were an offshoot that ran its course and went back to the Democratic party. Civil Rights did cause a rift in that party - but it didn't split until MUCH later and for different reasons.
              So what Tea, you're going off in a tangent. My argument was simply that the democrat south went republican over the civil rights agenda of the democrat party. The Dixiecrats split from the democrats in 1948 over the civil rights platform of Truman, to aver that they went back to the democrat party is an unsubstantiated assertion. You don't know who went back or who didn't go back, but regardless of that the L.B. Johnson civil rights act in 64 and the voting rights act in 65 basically gave the south to Nixon. The point isn't the timeline, the point is that it was the democratic party's stance on civil rights that turned the south republican.

Comment

So what Tea, you're going off in a tangent. My argument was simply that the democrat south went republican over the civil rights agenda of the democrat party. The Dixiecrats split from the democrats in 1948 over the civil rights platform of Truman, to aver that they went back to the democrat party is an unsubstantiated assertion. You don't know who went back or who didn't go back, but regardless of that the L.B. Johnson civil rights act in 64 and the voting rights act in 65 basically gave the south to Nixon. The point isn't the timeline, the point is that it was the democratic party's stance on civil rights that turned the south republican.
                Excepting the part about being completely wrong, sure. The Civil Rights movement had been over for 20 years - it had done all the damage it was going to do. The leftward shift of the Democratic Party did what that rift totally failed to do - it caused the South to finally split with the Democratic party.

To actually go off on a tangent, the '64 CRA actually got some (very few) Southern Democrat votes.

CRA (votes in yea/nay format):
                Source: Wikipedia

The original House version:

• Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
                • Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)
                • Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
                • Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

The Senate version:

© Copyright Original Source

Source
                Notice that the Southern Republicans - all eleven of them - voted against.

Couldn't find the VRA voting record by state but I'd be surprised if any Southern states voted for something that punitive.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

When democrats were doing such things, they were dixiecrats, more commonly known today as republicans, that's why they switched to the republican party.
                  Interesting, since it was the Progressives, under President Woodrow Wilson, that brought segregation to the federal government. It was the Republicans that dismantled democrat racism. I know your puppet masters taught you that there was a ‘party switch’, but the lies are pretty transparent considering that Nixon played a major role in early civil rights laws and Regan was a Republican long before ‘the switch’ took place.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Some of us actually lived through those times and aren't fooled by the fairy tales that liberals tell each other.
                    The lie should be obvious for anyone with even a slight understanding of history. Accusing Nixon, a supporter of civil rights bills and critic of racism, of being a racist, is one of the easiest refuted statements by anyone with the slightest historical understanding. It’s amazing how democrats have convinced millions they were not the party of racism.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That's because you are woefully uninformed, MM. The south was mostly democrat in the past, but they didn't like the civil rights agenda of the democratic party. That's why the more racist southern democrats became mostly republican. Actually, that was the republican stratagy.
                      The south of the 21st century isn’t the south of the 60’s.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Tea, the southern democrats became republicans because the democrat party supported and passed civil rights bills, first by Truman, and then by President Johnson. When Truman, a democrat, ran for the democratic nomination back in 1948 and introduced a pro civil rights platform, a faction of the party walked out and formed the Dixiecrats, held their own convention, and nominated Strom Thurmond to go up against Truman. Then 16 years later L.B. Johnson, another democrat, signed into law the civil rights act of 1964, and the voting right act of 1965, knowing at the time that by doing so the democrats were probably going to lose the south for generations to come. And that is exactly what happened. The southern democrats became republicans because of the democrat party's stance on civil rights.
                        Read what LBJ’s biographer wrote about the reason LBJ signed the civil rights bill of 1964. LBJ was a terrible person that makes Trump almost look like a saint. You’re truly brainwashed, by your democrat overlords.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                          Read what LBJ’s biographer wrote about the reason LBJ signed the civil rights bill of 1964. LBJ was a terrible person that makes Trump almost look like a saint. You’re truly brainwashed, by your democrat overlords.
                          Yeah LBJ had a long history of opposing Civil Rights legislation (even including anti-lynching laws) but saw the writing on the wall.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                            Interesting, since it was the Progressives, under President Woodrow Wilson, that brought segregation to the federal government. It was the Republicans that dismantled democrat racism. I know your puppet masters taught you that there was a ‘party switch’, but the lies are pretty transparent considering that Nixon played a major role in early civil rights laws and Regan was a Republican long before ‘the switch’ took place.
                            By far the two most racist presidents we had were Wilson and LBJ.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              This is freakin GENIUS!!!!

I think Jim is giving Biden a run for his money!

(And well off black kids are less likely to end up poor than are poor white kids. )
                              I almost answered JimL's idiotic post, but then I decided "why bother?"

Rich kids are better off than poor kids. Great insight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I almost answered JimL's idiotic post, but then I decided "why bother?"

Rich kids are better off than poor kids. Great insight!
                                Absolutely brilliant.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment