Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Racist Tweet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Yeah, and the right the south was fighting for was the right to maintain slavery.

States rights was a canard, and everybody knows it!
    You're CRAZY! It was about STATES RIGHTS and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!!!!!

(Jim, this will be one of the very few times that I'm arguing from a sense of duty and frustration, not from fact)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You're CRAZY! It was about STATES RIGHTS and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!!!!!

(Jim, this will be one of the very few times that I'm arguing from a sense of duty and frustration, not from fact)
      You are both right!

The reason there was a war was because part of the USA decided to split off into their own country. The reason for that was to keep slavery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Concede what fell?

More than one historian has noted that while the South lost the war in many ways they won the peace.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You are both right!

The reason there was a war was because part of the USA decided to split off into their own country. The reason for that was to keep slavery.
          That's it in a shut nell!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            More than one historian has noted that while the South lost the war in many ways they won the peace.
            In what way? Slavery was abolished, and states' rights took a big hit.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Tea, that's not true, there was a republican party in the south, they weren't as popular as democrats, but they were there long before the civil rights movement ended as shown in your own 1964 CRA voting stats.
              She never said there weren't any Republicans

She said that their sudden rise in popularity began well after the Civil Rights era.

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Who's they. The Dixiecrats couldn't be considered democrats since they split from the democrats and their nominee (Truman) and nominated their own Presidential candidate (Strom Thurmond). And btw, though the Dixiecrats and Strom Thurmond lost the election, they got a substantial portion of the southern vote. Strom Thurmond himself became a republican 16 years later in defiance of Johnsons 1964 signing of the CRA. So to argue that "the south didn't begin revolting against and leaving the democrat party until long after the civil rights movement was over is ridiculous.
              Thurmond in many ways was the exception to the rule (there were a few others). The vast majority went right back into the Democrat fold and stayed there for the rest of their lives.

The fact is that if it weren't for the Republican Party almost none of the Civil Rights legislation from the 50s and 60s would have ever passed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                In what way? Slavery was abolished, and states' rights took a big hit.

Three times I wrote responses and three times my computer dumped them.

So I'll try one more time but this time briefly.

For one the South was, especially after Reconstruction successfully able to persistently defy the North's attempts to remake the South into a model of the North and completely rehabilitate former slaves. After Reconstruction blacks in the South were little better off than they had been during slavery days with the exception that they were now free -- or maybe it should be said freer. The South in many ways created a new form of slavery with the rise of the Jim Crow system which included the "Black Codes" (laws which tightly restricted what, where and even who blacks could be) and which were kept in place by poll taxes and tests designed to keep blacks from voting.

If you want a more detailed answer I suggest Googling "south lost the war but won the peace."

Comment

• The Typio From Recovery extension is your friend.

Comment

Three times I wrote responses and three times my computer dumped them.

So I'll try one more time but this time briefly.

For one the South was, especially after Reconstruction successfully able to persistently defy the North's attempts to remake the South into a model of the North and completely rehabilitate former slaves. After Reconstruction blacks in the South were little better off than they had been during slavery days with the exception that they were now free -- or maybe it should be said freer. The South in many ways created a new form of slavery with the rise of the Jim Crow system which included the "Black Codes" (laws which tightly restricted what, where and even who blacks could be) and which were kept in place by poll taxes and tests designed to keep blacks from voting.

If you want a more detailed answer I suggest Googling "south lost the war but won the peace."
                    Well, sorta. I don't think the North's goal during the war was Reconstruction/remaking the South into a model of the North, and the war at the very least halted the spread of slavery elsewhere. Further, Jim Crow didn't last forever. The idea that the south won the peace is a bit disingenuous, IMO.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Tea, that's not true, there was a republican party in the south, they weren't as popular as democrats, but they were there long before the civil rights movement ended as shown in your own 1964 CRA voting stats.
                      Yeah, we needed dog catchers... The Republicans held very few state, local or Federal offices in the South before the 1980's and did not dominate until the 1990's - well after the Civil Rights Movement had ended.

Then I'm not completely wrong.
                      Are too!

Who's they. The Dixiecrats couldn't be considered democrats since they split from the democrats and their nominee (Truman) and nominated their own Presidential candidate (Strom Thurmond). And btw, though the Dixiecrats and Strom Thurmond lost the election, they got a substantial portion of the southern vote. Strom Thurmond himself became a republican 16 years later in defiance of Johnsons 1964 signing of the CRA. So to argue that "the south didn't begin revolting against and leaving the democrat party until long after the civil rights movement was over is ridiculous.
                      You do know where Thurmond was from, right? One exception doesn't prove your 'they were all republicans' argument - not at all.

I fail to see how that answers to what I said. The overwhelming majority (95) of southern democrats voted against civil rights. Your argument, that well, (7) southern democrats voted for the CRA therefore............ what?
                      No, it wasn't.

I didn't argue that - I just pointed out it wasn't quite what you were portraying.

Again, that doesn't answer to what I said. Regardless of Reconstruction, the reason for the south becoming more republican, was, obviously was, the civil rights stance of the Democrats. I mean, it's history, Tea, look it up.
                      There is no 'regardless of Reconstruction' - one blankity-blank blank load of Southern history and polity revolves around Reconstruction. If you (general) don't understand that, you cannot understand the South.

Never said there was an alternative. If the south is racist and you want to get elected, then you must be a racist as well.
                      Except it's not quite that simple - but I'm not gonna waste time trying to get you (personal) to understand that you (general) can favor segregation and not hate black people.

Oh please, the VRA was completely necessary due to southern politicians blocking African Americans from voting, which they are still attempting to do by finding ways around the law.
                      Not the crappy way it was written, it wasn't.

No kidding, which is why the south, still kicking and screaming, went republican.
                      Not for another twenty years! It's history! Look it up!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        You are both right!

Which leaves the ultimate reason being that the south wanted to maintain the slave industry.

Comment

That's funny, the south won by losing.

Comment

That's funny, the south won by losing.
                            You ever been married?

Comment

She never said there weren't any Republicans

She said that their sudden rise in popularity began well after the Civil Rights era.
                              No, she said that republicans were hated in the south and that no one would call themselves a republican for fear of being shot, or something to that effect. So no, it wasn't a sudden rise, it was a slow and steady rise until the 1960's and the civil rights movement, school desegragation, The CRA, the VRA, Martin Luther King etc etc.

Thurmond in many ways was the exception to the rule (there were a few others). The vast majority went right back into the Democrat fold and stayed there for the rest of their lives.
                              The vast majority of who went back to the Democrat fold from where?
                              The fact is that if it weren't for the Republican Party almost none of the Civil Rights legislation from the 50s and 60s would have ever passed.
                              What is this, revisionist history, or is that what they teach you down south? The Dixiecrats revolted from the Dem. Party in 1948 because of the Democrats civil rights platform under Truman, and very few republicans voted for the CRA or the VRA passed by democrats in 1964 and 65.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                You ever been married?
                                Yeah, and you think that's actually what happened, that the south gave up the war they began in order to better get along with their northern foes?

Comment