Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Racist Tweet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Gone with the Wind

To Kill a Mockingbird

Reminds me of the Kermit the Frog bit where he almost got killed on his bicycle ---- "for a moment there, I thought I was GONE WITH THE SCHWINN!!!"
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The North - which they did. Armies of the period still provisioned off the land - a euphemism for stealing food from whomever they could.

Northern armies requisitioned houses and everything else. They burned what they couldn't take.

But that was war. Everyone knew what happened when wars were fought.

Reconstruction was a 10 year occupation - and it wasn't much better than the war itself.

You've never read To Kill a Mockingbird or seen Gone with the Wind, have you?
      Yeah, that was war, Tea. But war isn't what we were talking about, we were talking about what the reason for the war was in the first place. The reason for the war, from the souths perspective, was to maintain slavery, not to stop northern armies from taking their stuff.

Comment

Jefferson Davis had the same problem Lincoln did - most people weren't willing to fight to either free or keep slaves - making it REALLY difficult to field armies on that basis.

Multiple Southern states had counties secede from them - most of Northern Alabama considered it since none of them really grew cotton or had slaves. Winston County actually seceded.

So Davis argued states rights and Lincoln argued preserving the Union - until the fighting really started and winning became do or die.
        And do you know what "right" it was that the 'states rights south coalition' went to war over. That's right, the right to maintain slavery.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Let's take a look at what she actually said rather than your, um, "paraphrase":
          Now I can see why you didn't quote her. It wouldn't support your claim. Not even close to it. So you concocted your own twisted version of it instead. Naughty boy.

She never said it was a sudden rise. This again is your own twisted version. She said that you didn't see Republican membership start to substantially increase until well after the Civil Rights era and that it took place mainly in the 80s and 90s (over two decades).

Don't you have what it takes to counter what she says? Is this why you keep fabricating straw man arguments to battle with?

Um, look at what I what you said that I was responding to Since you are revealing an ability at reading comprehension akin to someone in a coma I highlighted the pertinent part for you. The Dixiecrats came from the Democrats not Republicans (note they aren't called Dixiecans) and returned to the Democrats -- including the very few like Thurmond who would later switch parties.

Technically I'm a "carpetbagger" having been born in Minnesota and lived in Michigan before spending the rest of my life (50+ years south of the Mason-Dixon line). Most of my early schooling (Elementary up into Junior High) was done right outside of Washington D.C. where the end all and be all was the federal government (when we learned to diagram a sentence it was usually from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence; when we got a word problem in math it was about appropriations, revenue and taxes).

Now, in the real world, it was the Democrats that led the record 74 day long Senate filibuster in opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Included among the organizers of the filibuster were several prominent and well-known Democrat standard-bearers including Robert Byrd (Senate Majority Leader, President pro tempore of the Senate[1] and former kleagle -- recruiter -- for the KKK who was still publicly using the n-word on national TV as late as 2001), J. William Fulbright (Arkansas Senator and mentor of Bill Clinton), Al Gore Sr. (Tennessee Senator and father of Al Gore Jr. who has been known to lie about his father’s vote[2]), Sam Ervin (North Carolina Senator of the Watergate hearings fame) and Richard Russell (Georgia Senator and another President pro tempore). A total of 21 Democrat Senators opposed the Civil Rights Act. The party was torn in half over the issue, with a full 40% of House Democrats voting against it.

OTOH, the Republicans backed the Civil Rights legislation. For example, 82% of Republicans in the Senate and 79% in the House voted for the Civil Rights Act. The no vote in both Houses consisted of 74% Democrats. Similar trends occurred with the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which was supported by 82% of the Republicans in the House, and by 94% of Senate Republicans.

Concerning the Voting Rights Act the same Democrat standard-bearers took their normal racist stands, this time with Senator Fulbright leading the opposition effort. It took the hard work of Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen and Republican Whip Thomas Kuchel to pass the Civil Rights Act (the former was presented a civil rights accomplishment award for the year by the NAACP in recognition of his efforts). Dirksen was also responsible for breaking the Democrat filibuster of the 1957 Civil Rights Act that was signed by Republican President Dwight Eisenhower. The fact is that if it weren’t for the Republican’s overwhelming support, all of these measures would have been defeated.

In fact, FWIU, of the 26 major civil rights votes from 1933 through the 1960’s civil rights era shows that Republicans favored civil rights in approximately 96% of the votes (whereas the Democrats opposed them in 80% of the votes).

Did you really think that you were going to bluff your way through this?

1. Third in the line of succession to the presidency behind the Vice President and Speaker of the House

2. In a speech on civil rights Al Gore claimed that,

"My commitment to civil rights is a deeply personal one. I watched my father when he was, a U.S. Senator from Tennessee, take courageous stands for civil rights. He opposed the poll tax in the ‘40s, and supported civil rights in the ‘50s, he supported voting rights in 1963, and was one of two Southern Senators to refuse to sign the hateful Southern Manifesto opposing integration in our schools. He lost his Senate seat because his [sic] stands.”

Apparently, Al Gore’s memory is a bit fuzzy. His father’s civil rights record is a tad less glorious than Al relates. For example, Al Gore Sr. voted AGAINST the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Al Gore Sr. participated in a 74-day filibuster to delay and weaken the legislation. Al Gore Sr. proposed an amendment to the Civil Rights Act that would have kept federal funds flowing to schools that defied court desegregation orders. The measure was defeated by a vote of 74 to 25 with only one Republican voted for it.
          Hey rogue, ya know how many southern republicans, whether in the House or the Senate voted for the CRA or the VRA in 64 and 65, I believe it was a great big 0. Nough said! The rest of your long winded post isn't worth wasting my time on.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            ...The rest of your long winded post isn't worth wasting my time on.
            Translation: Don't confuse me with the facts!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              No it means that the gist of his post was defeated. Southern republicans didn't support the civil rights act and the voting rights act and neither did republican Barry Goldwater who the south then voted for president. The south was basically run by white supremacists and they slowly abandoned the democratic party and their civil rights agenda from 1948 on through to the 60's.

Comment

No it means that the gist of his post was defeated.
                In your mind, Jim. In your mind.

Comment

Hey rogue, ya know how many southern republicans, whether in the House or the Senate voted for the CRA or the VRA in 64 and 65, I believe it was a great big 0. Nough said! The rest of your long winded post isn't worth wasting my time on.
                  I'm going to guess that, since rogue actually reads the posts in this thread, he's aware of that already. Can you be any more lazy?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No it means that the gist of his post was defeated. Southern republicans didn't support the civil rights act and the voting rights act and neither did republican Barry Goldwater who the south then voted for president. The south was basically run by white supremacists and they slowly abandoned the democratic party and their civil rights agenda from 1948 on through to the 60's.
                    Neither did Southern Democrats, genius. Teallaura (who actually lives in the deep South) has repeatedly corrected you on your erroneous timeline on when the South abandoned the Democratic party.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And the poor boy is so easily confused.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        I'm going to guess that, since rogue actually reads the posts in this thread, he's aware of that already. Can you be any more lazy?
                        Well if you read this thread then you'd know that rogue made a point of how it was republicans that supported the CRA and the VRA, but what he failed to mention was that southern republicans, all, every last one of them, voted against the democrat sponsered legislation. And that was the final straw for the white supremacist democrat party in the south. They were still white supremacists, but they began voting republican.

Comment

Neither did Southern Democrats, genius. Teallaura (who actually lives in the deep South) has repeatedly corrected you on your erroneous timeline on when the South abandoned the Democratic party.
                          And, an aside, abandonment of the Democratic Party continues based on their giant swerve to the left.

BET Founder: Democratic Party Has Moved "Too Far To The Left"

BET.jpg

CNBC: America’s political establishment is riven with partisanship that has become “very wicked and very mean,” said entrepreneur and media mogul Robert Johnson, who added that the Democratic Party has become too liberal for his liking.

“The party in my opinion, for me personally, has moved too far to the left,” Johnson, the founder of cable network BET and RLJ Companies business network, told CNBC’s Hadley Gamble Tuesday.
                          BET FOUNDER ROBERT JOHNSON: I give the president a lot of credit for moving the economy in a positive direction that's benefiting a large number of Americans. Overall, if you look at the U.S. economy, if you look at the number of people who are no longer looking for jobs but are now seeing the opportunity for job growth, you’ve got to give the president an A+ for that.

Comment

Well if you read this thread then you'd know that rogue made a point of how it was republicans that supported the CRA and the VRA, but what he failed to mention was that southern republicans, all, every last one of them, voted against the democrat sponsered legislation.
                            He didn't mention it because it wasn't especially relevant; there were very few Republicans in the South at that time.
                            And that was the final straw for the white supremacist democrat party in the south. They were still white supremacists, but they began voting republican.
                            This makes no sense, Jim. Are you even paying attention to Teallaura's posts in this thread? The white supremacist Democrats became Dixiecrats for a time, then went back to being Democrat. It wasn't until the next generation that the South started swinging Republican.

sigpic

Comment

Duh, no kidding Sherlock. There were only 11 republicans from the south in all of congress, 126 democrats. The CR legislation was democrat sponsered and nearly all the democrats voted agin! They went strickly against the democratic agenda and began to vote more and more republican from thence forth. Not that the republican party didn't take advantage of the white supremacist split in the democrat south, they capitalized on it.

Comment

And who was threatening to take away their possessions?
                                Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                Yeah, that was war, Tea. But war isn't what we were talking about, we were talking about what the reason for the war was in the first place. The reason for the war, from the souths perspective, was to maintain slavery, not to stop northern armies from taking their stuff.
                                You asked, I answered. If you didn't want to know, why did you ask?
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment