Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 501

Thread: Another Racist Tweet?

  1. #421
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    65,447
    Amen (Given)
    14192
    Amen (Received)
    29046
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yeah, and the right the south was fighting for was the right to maintain slavery.

    States rights was a canard, and everybody knows it!
    You're CRAZY! It was about STATES RIGHTS and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!!!!!



    (Jim, this will be one of the very few times that I'm arguing from a sense of duty and frustration, not from fact)
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

  2. #422
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,871
    Amen (Given)
    5617
    Amen (Received)
    23963
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You're CRAZY! It was about STATES RIGHTS and EVERYBODY KNOWS IT!!!!!



    (Jim, this will be one of the very few times that I'm arguing from a sense of duty and frustration, not from fact)
    You are both right!

    The reason there was a war was because part of the USA decided to split off into their own country. The reason for that was to keep slavery.

  3. #423
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,344
    Amen (Given)
    1236
    Amen (Received)
    22117
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Concede what fell?


    More than one historian has noted that while the South lost the war in many ways they won the peace.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  4. #424
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    65,447
    Amen (Given)
    14192
    Amen (Received)
    29046
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You are both right!

    The reason there was a war was because part of the USA decided to split off into their own country. The reason for that was to keep slavery.
    That's it in a shut nell!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since youíve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?Ē

  5. #425
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,151
    Amen (Given)
    6628
    Amen (Received)
    12501
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    More than one historian has noted that while the South lost the war in many ways they won the peace.
    In what way? Slavery was abolished, and states' rights took a big hit.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  6. #426
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,344
    Amen (Given)
    1236
    Amen (Received)
    22117
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Tea, that's not true, there was a republican party in the south, they weren't as popular as democrats, but they were there long before the civil rights movement ended as shown in your own 1964 CRA voting stats.
    She never said there weren't any Republicans

    She said that their sudden rise in popularity began well after the Civil Rights era.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Who's they. The Dixiecrats couldn't be considered democrats since they split from the democrats and their nominee (Truman) and nominated their own Presidential candidate (Strom Thurmond). And btw, though the Dixiecrats and Strom Thurmond lost the election, they got a substantial portion of the southern vote. Strom Thurmond himself became a republican 16 years later in defiance of Johnsons 1964 signing of the CRA. So to argue that "the south didn't begin revolting against and leaving the democrat party until long after the civil rights movement was over is ridiculous.
    Thurmond in many ways was the exception to the rule (there were a few others). The vast majority went right back into the Democrat fold and stayed there for the rest of their lives.

    The fact is that if it weren't for the Republican Party almost none of the Civil Rights legislation from the 50s and 60s would have ever passed.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  7. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  8. #427
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,344
    Amen (Given)
    1236
    Amen (Received)
    22117
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    In what way? Slavery was abolished, and states' rights took a big hit.


    Three times I wrote responses and three times my computer dumped them.

    So I'll try one more time but this time briefly.

    For one the South was, especially after Reconstruction successfully able to persistently defy the North's attempts to remake the South into a model of the North and completely rehabilitate former slaves. After Reconstruction blacks in the South were little better off than they had been during slavery days with the exception that they were now free -- or maybe it should be said freer. The South in many ways created a new form of slavery with the rise of the Jim Crow system which included the "Black Codes" (laws which tightly restricted what, where and even who blacks could be) and which were kept in place by poll taxes and tests designed to keep blacks from voting.

    If you want a more detailed answer I suggest Googling "south lost the war but won the peace."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  10. #428
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,628
    Amen (Given)
    7083
    Amen (Received)
    6751
    The Typio From Recovery extension is your friend.

  11. #429
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,151
    Amen (Given)
    6628
    Amen (Received)
    12501
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post


    Three times I wrote responses and three times my computer dumped them.

    So I'll try one more time but this time briefly.

    For one the South was, especially after Reconstruction successfully able to persistently defy the North's attempts to remake the South into a model of the North and completely rehabilitate former slaves. After Reconstruction blacks in the South were little better off than they had been during slavery days with the exception that they were now free -- or maybe it should be said freer. The South in many ways created a new form of slavery with the rise of the Jim Crow system which included the "Black Codes" (laws which tightly restricted what, where and even who blacks could be) and which were kept in place by poll taxes and tests designed to keep blacks from voting.

    If you want a more detailed answer I suggest Googling "south lost the war but won the peace."
    Well, sorta. I don't think the North's goal during the war was Reconstruction/remaking the South into a model of the North, and the war at the very least halted the spread of slavery elsewhere. Further, Jim Crow didn't last forever. The idea that the south won the peace is a bit disingenuous, IMO.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. Ė St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  12. #430
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Tea, that's not true, there was a republican party in the south, they weren't as popular as democrats, but they were there long before the civil rights movement ended as shown in your own 1964 CRA voting stats.
    Yeah, we needed dog catchers... The Republicans held very few state, local or Federal offices in the South before the 1980's and did not dominate until the 1990's - well after the Civil Rights Movement had ended.


    Then I'm not completely wrong.
    Are too!


    Who's they. The Dixiecrats couldn't be considered democrats since they split from the democrats and their nominee (Truman) and nominated their own Presidential candidate (Strom Thurmond). And btw, though the Dixiecrats and Strom Thurmond lost the election, they got a substantial portion of the southern vote. Strom Thurmond himself became a republican 16 years later in defiance of Johnsons 1964 signing of the CRA. So to argue that "the south didn't begin revolting against and leaving the democrat party until long after the civil rights movement was over is ridiculous.
    You do know where Thurmond was from, right? One exception doesn't prove your 'they were all republicans' argument - not at all.


    I fail to see how that answers to what I said. The overwhelming majority (95) of southern democrats voted against civil rights. Your argument, that well, (7) southern democrats voted for the CRA therefore............ what?
    No, it wasn't.

    I didn't argue that - I just pointed out it wasn't quite what you were portraying.


    Again, that doesn't answer to what I said. Regardless of Reconstruction, the reason for the south becoming more republican, was, obviously was, the civil rights stance of the Democrats. I mean, it's history, Tea, look it up.
    There is no 'regardless of Reconstruction' - one blankity-blank blank load of Southern history and polity revolves around Reconstruction. If you (general) don't understand that, you cannot understand the South.

    Never said there was an alternative. If the south is racist and you want to get elected, then you must be a racist as well.
    Except it's not quite that simple - but I'm not gonna waste time trying to get you (personal) to understand that you (general) can favor segregation and not hate black people.


    Oh please, the VRA was completely necessary due to southern politicians blocking African Americans from voting, which they are still attempting to do by finding ways around the law.
    Not the crappy way it was written, it wasn't.

    No kidding, which is why the south, still kicking and screaming, went republican.
    Not for another twenty years! It's history! Look it up!

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  13. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •