Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 501

Thread: Another Racist Tweet?

  1. #431
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,222
    Amen (Given)
    1640
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You are both right!

    The reason there was a war was because part of the USA decided to split off into their own country. The reason for that was to keep slavery.
    Which leaves the ultimate reason being that the south wanted to maintain the slave industry.

  2. #432
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,222
    Amen (Given)
    1640
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    More than one historian has noted that while the South lost the war in many ways they won the peace.
    That's funny, the south won by losing.

  3. #433
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,457
    Amen (Given)
    11861
    Amen (Received)
    25266
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    That's funny, the south won by losing.
    You ever been married?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  5. #434
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,222
    Amen (Given)
    1640
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    She never said there weren't any Republicans

    She said that their sudden rise in popularity began well after the Civil Rights era.
    No, she said that republicans were hated in the south and that no one would call themselves a republican for fear of being shot, or something to that effect. So no, it wasn't a sudden rise, it was a slow and steady rise until the 1960's and the civil rights movement, school desegragation, The CRA, the VRA, Martin Luther King etc etc.

    Thurmond in many ways was the exception to the rule (there were a few others). The vast majority went right back into the Democrat fold and stayed there for the rest of their lives.
    The vast majority of who went back to the Democrat fold from where?
    The fact is that if it weren't for the Republican Party almost none of the Civil Rights legislation from the 50s and 60s would have ever passed.
    What is this, revisionist history, or is that what they teach you down south? The Dixiecrats revolted from the Dem. Party in 1948 because of the Democrats civil rights platform under Truman, and very few republicans voted for the CRA or the VRA passed by democrats in 1964 and 65.

  6. #435
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,222
    Amen (Given)
    1640
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You ever been married?
    Yeah, and you think that's actually what happened, that the south gave up the war they began in order to better get along with their northern foes?

  7. #436
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,457
    Amen (Given)
    11861
    Amen (Received)
    25266
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yeah, and you think that's actually what happened, that the south gave up the war they began in order to better get along with their northern foes?
    It's humor, Jim. In marriage, you often win by losing.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. #437
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    13,222
    Amen (Given)
    1640
    Amen (Received)
    1451
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's humor, Jim. In marriage, you often win by losing.
    Right, I got that, but rogue wasn't being humorous, at least not intentionally so.

  9. #438
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,457
    Amen (Given)
    11861
    Amen (Received)
    25266
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Right, I got that, but rogue wasn't being humorous, at least not intentionally so.
    I was.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  10. #439
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,543
    Amen (Given)
    1091
    Amen (Received)
    18760
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    No, she said that republicans were hated in the south and that no one would call themselves a republican for fear of being shot, or something to that effect.
    Let's take a look at what she actually said rather than your, um, "paraphrase":

    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Reconstruction was over, that's true - but Southerners HADN'T forgotten - and the hatred of the Republicans ran so deep that it continued until the Civil Rights movement was over.

    I was THERE.
    Now I can see why you didn't quote her. It wouldn't support your claim. Not even close to it. So you concocted your own twisted version of it instead. Naughty boy.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    So no, it wasn't a sudden rise, it was a slow and steady rise until the 1960's and the civil rights movement, school desegragation, The CRA, the VRA, Martin Luther King etc etc.
    She never said it was a sudden rise. This again is your own twisted version. She said that you didn't see Republican membership start to substantially increase until well after the Civil Rights era and that it took place mainly in the 80s and 90s (over two decades).

    Don't you have what it takes to counter what she says? Is this why you keep fabricating straw man arguments to battle with?

    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The vast majority of who went back to the Democrat fold from where?
    Um, look at what I what you said that I was responding to
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The Dixiecrats couldn't be considered democrats since they split from the democrats and their nominee (Truman) and nominated their own Presidential candidate (Strom Thurmond). And btw, though the Dixiecrats and Strom Thurmond lost the election
    Since you are revealing an ability at reading comprehension akin to someone in a coma I highlighted the pertinent part for you. The Dixiecrats came from the Democrats not Republicans (note they aren't called Dixiecans) and returned to the Democrats -- including the very few like Thurmond who would later switch parties.

    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    What is this, revisionist history, or is that what they teach you down south? The Dixiecrats revolted from the Dem. Party in 1948 because of the Democrats civil rights platform under Truman, and very few republicans voted for the CRA or the VRA passed by democrats in 1964 and 65.
    Technically I'm a "carpetbagger" having been born in Minnesota and lived in Michigan before spending the rest of my life (50+ years south of the Mason-Dixon line). Most of my early schooling (Elementary up into Junior High) was done right outside of Washington D.C. where the end all and be all was the federal government (when we learned to diagram a sentence it was usually from the Constitution or Declaration of Independence; when we got a word problem in math it was about appropriations, revenue and taxes).

    Now, in the real world, it was the Democrats that led the record 74 day long Senate filibuster in opposition to the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Included among the organizers of the filibuster were several prominent and well-known Democrat standard-bearers including Robert Byrd (Senate Majority Leader, President pro tempore of the Senate[1] and former kleagle -- recruiter -- for the KKK who was still publicly using the n-word on national TV as late as 2001), J. William Fulbright (Arkansas Senator and mentor of Bill Clinton), Al Gore Sr. (Tennessee Senator and father of Al Gore Jr. who has been known to lie about his fatherís vote[2]), Sam Ervin (North Carolina Senator of the Watergate hearings fame) and Richard Russell (Georgia Senator and another President pro tempore). A total of 21 Democrat Senators opposed the Civil Rights Act. The party was torn in half over the issue, with a full 40% of House Democrats voting against it.

    OTOH, the Republicans backed the Civil Rights legislation. For example, 82% of Republicans in the Senate and 79% in the House voted for the Civil Rights Act. The no vote in both Houses consisted of 74% Democrats. Similar trends occurred with the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which was supported by 82% of the Republicans in the House, and by 94% of Senate Republicans.

    Concerning the Voting Rights Act the same Democrat standard-bearers took their normal racist stands, this time with Senator Fulbright leading the opposition effort. It took the hard work of Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen and Republican Whip Thomas Kuchel to pass the Civil Rights Act (the former was presented a civil rights accomplishment award for the year by the NAACP in recognition of his efforts). Dirksen was also responsible for breaking the Democrat filibuster of the 1957 Civil Rights Act that was signed by Republican President Dwight Eisenhower. The fact is that if it werenít for the Republicanís overwhelming support, all of these measures would have been defeated.

    In fact, FWIU, of the 26 major civil rights votes from 1933 through the 1960ís civil rights era shows that Republicans favored civil rights in approximately 96% of the votes (whereas the Democrats opposed them in 80% of the votes).

    Did you really think that you were going to bluff your way through this?





    1. Third in the line of succession to the presidency behind the Vice President and Speaker of the House

    2. In a speech on civil rights Al Gore claimed that,

    "My commitment to civil rights is a deeply personal one. I watched my father when he was, a U.S. Senator from Tennessee, take courageous stands for civil rights. He opposed the poll tax in the Ď40s, and supported civil rights in the Ď50s, he supported voting rights in 1963, and was one of two Southern Senators to refuse to sign the hateful Southern Manifesto opposing integration in our schools. He lost his Senate seat because his [sic] stands.Ē


    Apparently, Al Goreís memory is a bit fuzzy. His fatherís civil rights record is a tad less glorious than Al relates. For example, Al Gore Sr. voted AGAINST the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Al Gore Sr. participated in a 74-day filibuster to delay and weaken the legislation. Al Gore Sr. proposed an amendment to the Civil Rights Act that would have kept federal funds flowing to schools that defied court desegregation orders. The measure was defeated by a vote of 74 to 25 with only one Republican voted for it.
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-20-2019 at 04:10 AM.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  12. #440
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,543
    Amen (Given)
    1091
    Amen (Received)
    18760
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Right, I got that, but rogue wasn't being humorous, at least not intentionally so.
    America "losing the peace" is hardly a new concept or unique with the Civil War
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-20-2019 at 03:23 AM.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  13. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •