Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Racist Tweet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    No, not whataboutism. What Biden said can in no way be compared to what Nixon and Reagon said.
    It is exactly whataboutism, Jimboroony. You were using something someone else did to excuse your guy as 'not as bad'

And since you can't compare the two, how does your bringing up what Reagan did excuse what Biden did? Does Reagan being a racist somehow excuse Biden?

Comment

You're a sick man, BtC.
      For saying what Biden himself apologized for (and subsequently kept doing)?
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes he is, but unlike Nixon and Reagan, he's not a racist. Associating black kids with poor kids can hardly be considered racist, unless of course you're biased that way.
        Lol:

Richard Nixon is credited for having a strong record on foreign policy, but his record on domestic policy — especially on Civil Rights at home is often overlooked. During his years as vice president under Dwight Eisenhower, he sought to ensure minorities — especially African Americans — weren’t discriminated against in federal contracts. He also worked with Congress to spearhead the Civil Rights Act of 1957, sweeping legislation and a precursor to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965.

When he reached the presidency, Nixon sought to expand economic opportunities for African Americans by ending discrimination in the work place, through the endowment of black colleges with federal funds, and helping them find meaningful employment through job assistance programs, and promotion of entrepreneurship — an initiative called “Black Capitalism.”

In 1970, perhaps the hall mark of the Nixon administration’s Civil Rights policies, Nixon sought to end the decades old and egregious tradition of segregated schools for black and white children throughout the nation, predominantly in the Southern states.
        https://www.nixonfoundation.org/2017...ivil-rights-2/

You’ve been brainwashed by Democrat propaganda, Jimmy.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

No, not whataboutism. What Biden said can in no way be compared to what Nixon and Reagon said.
          Um, Biden is alive and running for president now. Nixon and Reagan have both been dead for two decades or more...

What matters is what he himself says - period. I think the 'soft racism' theory here is silly - you don't try to help people you hate - but the 'but X said worse' is a dumb answer to the problem.

Biden is his own worse enemy. yeah, everyone knows he trips over his own tongue all the time - but there's a limit to how much of a pass that gets him. Eventually, you have to wonder what's gonna happen when he does that in a sensitive situation. That wasn't an immediate issue with him as VP but is an issue for a president - a big one.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yes he is, but unlike Nixon and Reagan, he's not a racist. Associating black kids with poor kids can hardly be considered racist, unless of course you're biased that way.
            *emphasis mine

I agree with this part. But if memory serves, you've argued the opposite when Trump made similar statements.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              What matters is what he himself says - period. I think the 'soft racism' theory here is silly - you don't try to help people you hate - ...
              Which is why I don't see Biden as a "racist" in the sense that he hates black (or other minority) people, but that he sees them as inferior. A lot of people of his age did. My dad did. I think this can be seen in the prevailing attitude of "we have to help them, protect them, make decisions for them, put them on government assistance..."

In the operations in which I am involved, we treat them as equals who have been dealt a bad hand, and challenge them to take charge of their own destiny. The director of our local effort is a man who was a refugee from Hurricane Katrina, and lived in a section of town in New Orleans where there were over a hundred murders a year. It's kinda fun to work with him, because I will frequently hear him say "No, that's an EXCUSE - we don't do that here..."

And we CONSTANTLY see people in our breakfast meetings wave their first paycheck in the air, and shout "I GOT A JOB!!!!!" And we're not talking Walmart or McDonald's -- we're talking local industry, or oilfield, or welding, or nurse's aids...
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

*emphasis mine

I agree with this part. But if memory serves, you've argued the opposite when Trump made similar statements.
                only poor people in rat-infested neighborhoods.

Comment

Um, Biden is alive and running for president now. Nixon and Reagan have both been dead for two decades or more...
                  Yeah, so, Biden is alive and running for president and is not a racist, and nothing he said, regardless of CP's spin, shows him to be a racist.
                  What matters is what he himself says - period. I think the 'soft racism' theory here is silly - you don't try to help people you hate - but the 'but X said worse' is a dumb answer to the problem.
                  That wasn't the point, the point in recalling Nixon and Reagan was to show the difference between what Biden said and actual racist remarks of which Nixon and Reagan were two examples.
                  Biden is his own worse enemy. yeah, everyone knows he trips over his own tongue all the time - but there's a limit to how much of a pass that gets him. Eventually, you have to wonder what's gonna happen when he does that in a sensitive situation. That wasn't an immediate issue with him as VP but is an issue for a president - a big one.
                  True, Biden often gets tongue twisted, but that has nothing to do with the charge of racism which some conservatives here are trying so hard to tag him with.

Comment

• And now Jimmy is defending Biden's racism.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

*emphasis mine

Oh please, Trump is consistent, that's not simply mispeak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        It is exactly whataboutism, Jimboroony. You were using something someone else did to excuse your guy as 'not as bad'

And since you can't compare the two, how does your bringing up what Reagan did excuse what Biden did? Does Reagan being a racist somehow excuse Biden?
                        You obviously don't understand what is meant by whataboutism, Sparko.

Comment

• Trump criticizes the policies of someone who happens to be black.

"That's racist!" cry the liberals.

Biden says something that is genuinely racist. Again.

"Ah, he didn't mean it! He just misspoke!" cry the liberals.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Yeah, so, Biden is alive and running for president and is not a racist, and nothing he said, regardless of CP's spin, shows him to be a racist.
                            I don't buy the soft racism theory anyway - Biden is patronizing but I don't see racism there.

That wasn't the point, the point in recalling Nixon and Reagan was to show the difference between what Biden said and actual racist remarks of which Nixon and Reagan were two examples.
                            Using a conversation from the early Seventies to compare to modern sensibilities doesn't do that. Even if it did - it doesn't prove anything about Biden - CP's point would stand (which he can defend his own self if he wants).

True, Biden often gets tongue twisted, but that has nothing to do with the charge of racism which some conservatives here are trying so hard to tag him with.
                            They are using the word in a way I wouldn't - but to be fair, you use the word differently than I do as well. I think about 90% of the charges of racism are completely bogus - including this one against Biden (although they are using soft racism and I differ more on terminology than effect - he really is patronizing but it's not limited to blacks).

But, if you keep hollering 'wolf' don't be surprised if people start hollering it back at you.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Oh please, Trump is consistent, that's not simply mispeak.
                              Trump doesn't say anything overtly racist - and anything he does say gets misconstrued to the point of defying credulity. Biden, on the other hand, is consistently patronizing - but no, not racist.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You obviously don't understand what is meant by whataboutism, Sparko.
                                Given the level of understanding you generally evince around here on most topics, you've got no room to talk, Jim. Perhaps if you put a little more effort into your own posts, people wouldn't laugh so much when you attempt to impugn others' ability to understand.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment