Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Another Racist Tweet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm just giving you what I think Jimmy was parroting from. It would stand to reason, however, that if power plants are shutting down, coal mines slow down, as well.

I don't pretend to know much about the coal business - are we still mining to export?
    Didn't Trump sell a bunch of coal to China?

But regardless Obama ACTIVELY shut down coal mines. Any that happened under Trump was a fallout from Obama's coal policies and market pressures. He didn't actively do anything. and it is besides the point I was making to Jim B. that his analogy with Obama and Appalachia was a bad example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Didn't Trump sell a bunch of coal to China?

But regardless Obama ACTIVELY shut down coal mines. Any that happened under Trump was a fallout from Obama's coal policies and market pressures. He didn't actively do anything. and it is besides the point I was making to Jim B. that his analogy with Obama and Appalachia was a bad example.
      Looks like the US is a NET exporter of coal -- we do import, but we export more.

So, yeah, even if coal plants are being shut down, we're still in the exporting business, so Jimmy is probably wrong about coal MINES being shut down.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm just giving you what I think Jimmy was parroting from. It would stand to reason, however, that if power plants are shutting down, coal mines slow down, as well.

I don't pretend to know much about the coal business - are we still mining to export?
        Probably - China is nearly insatiable for energy even with its economy slowing down.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Looks like the US is a NET exporter of coal -- we do import, but we export more.

So, yeah, even if coal plants are being shut down, we're still in the exporting business, so Jimmy is probably wrong about coal MINES being shut down.
          Smaller and older mines are shutting down, but larger and newer mines are also employing a small amount more than are being lost to closures.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Well Obama is one responsible for a lot of that squalor in Appalachia because he did his best to shut down the coal mines and put everyone out of a job, so your example is kind of a bad one.
            Do you have any evidence of that? Automation, mountaintop removal and fracking have had far greater impact on impoverishment of Appalachia than Obama could ever hope to have had, so your example is kind of a bad one. Anyway, back to my question, what would the impact on the right have been, do you think?
            Last edited by Jim B.; 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
              Do you have any evidence of that? Automation and fracking had far greater impact on impoverishment of Appalachia than Obama could ever hope to have had, so your example is kind of a bad one. Anyway, back t my question, what would the impact on the right have been, do you think?
              I have family back there who lost jobs due to the mine closures because of Obama. I guess I could look it up if you are to lazy to, but my comment was just to point out to you that your example with Obama and Appalachia was not a good one. He wouldn't have to make a comment to some congressman about the squalor in his district since he himself is responsible for a lot of it and the people back there hate him for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]38716[/ATTACH]

And watching the left become increasingly unhinged is an added bonus.
                Actually watching your snowflake Crybaby Trustfunder wet his nappies every morning is the biggest bonus!

Comment

I have family back there who lost jobs due to the mine closures because of Obama. I guess I could look it up if you are to lazy to, but my comment was just to point out to you that your example with Obama and Appalachia was not a good one. He wouldn't have to make a comment to some congressman about the squalor in his district since he himself is responsible for a lot of it and the people back there hate him for it.
                  Again, do you have any evidence? Hint: Anecdote is not evidence. And it's not up tome to look it up. You're the one making the assertion.

Comment

• Politico
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Of course...

You can't make this stuff up

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        Of course...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                          Again, do you have any evidence? Hint: Anecdote is not evidence. And it's not up tome to look it up. You're the one making the assertion.
                          Again, why should I bother? I made a side comment to you that your analogy was not a good one to use Obama and Appalachia.

If you really don't believe me google* it yourself. Whether you agree or not is your problem.

*Here's a clue: Google "war on coal"
                          Last edited by Sparko; 08-01-2019, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Of course...

I think he must get up every morning and practice his grumpy look.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think he must get up every morning and practice his grumpy look.
                              00000000000000ab000-00aaai.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Of course...

I bet that's not playing on CNN or MSNBC.

Comment