Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 501

Thread: Another Racist Tweet?

  1. #371
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,041
    Amen (Given)
    2248
    Amen (Received)
    1751
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Most of those Dixiecrats, being yellow dog Democrats, would never switch to the Republican Party. That's why they were called Dixiecrats not Dixiecans.
    Yeah, keep telling yourself that, rogue.

  2. #372
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,532
    Amen (Given)
    13983
    Amen (Received)
    28844
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yeah, keep telling yourself that, rogue.
    Another case of everybody being wrong but you?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  3. #373
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Yeah, keep telling yourself that, rogue.
    I grew up in the South. I've actually known real, live Yellow Dog Democrats. There is literally no way those folks would become Republicans - because the Republicans were the party of Reconstruction. Now, you Yankees might have to look up Reconstruction to get the reference - but no Southerner would need to. Being a Republican in the South was just a hair shy of being a traitor - well, we might put up with ya, but we weren't gonna like it.

    Stop trying to rewrite history. The Democrats WERE the Southern party - the Dixiecrats were an offshoot that ran its course and went back to the Democratic party. Civil Rights did cause a rift in that party - but it didn't split until MUCH later and for different reasons.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  4. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  5. #374
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,801
    Amen (Given)
    6653
    Amen (Received)
    8234
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    That's because you are woefully uninformed, MM. The south was mostly democrat in the past, but they didn't like the civil rights agenda of the democratic party. That's why the more racist southern democrats became mostly republican. Actually, that was the republican stratagy.
    Once again, Jimmy proves my theorem that the easiest way to impersonate a liberal is to simply say the dumbest thing you can think of.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  6. #375
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,041
    Amen (Given)
    2248
    Amen (Received)
    1751
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No, they weren't. They were card carrying Democrats - most until they died. The South didn't start becoming solidly Republican for another two decades - and it wasn't lead by Dixiecrats who were back to being Democrats long since. By the time the South becomes strongly Republican, most of that generation was in decline or dying off.

    Seriously, it's not until the Democratic Party starts its left-ward shift in the 80's that the South begins to shift Republican - because the Yellow Dogs simply weren't a force any longer.

    Tea, the southern democrats became republicans because the democrat party supported and passed civil rights bills, first by Truman, and then by President Johnson. When Truman, a democrat, ran for the democratic nomination back in 1948 and introduced a pro civil rights platform, a faction of the party walked out and formed the Dixiecrats, held their own convention, and nominated Strom Thurmond to go up against Truman. Then 16 years later L.B. Johnson, another democrat, signed into law the civil rights act of 1964, and the voting right act of 1965, knowing at the time that by doing so the democrats were probably going to lose the south for generations to come. And that is exactly what happened. The southern democrats became republicans because of the democrat party's stance on civil rights.

  7. #376
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,041
    Amen (Given)
    2248
    Amen (Received)
    1751
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I grew up in the South. I've actually known real, live Yellow Dog Democrats. There is literally no way those folks would become Republicans - because the Republicans were the party of Reconstruction. Now, you Yankees might have to look up Reconstruction to get the reference - but no Southerner would need to. Being a Republican in the South was just a hair shy of being a traitor - well, we might put up with ya, but we weren't gonna like it.

    Stop trying to rewrite history. The Democrats WERE the Southern party - the Dixiecrats were an offshoot that ran its course and went back to the Democratic party. Civil Rights did cause a rift in that party - but it didn't split until MUCH later and for different reasons.
    See my post #375

  8. #377
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Tea, the southern democrats became republicans because the democrat party supported and passed civil rights bills, first by Truman, and then by President Johnson. When Truman, a democrat, ran for the democratic nomination back in 1948 and introduced a pro civil rights platform, a faction of the party walked out and formed the Dixiecrats, held their own convention, and nominated Strom Thurmond to go up against Truman. Then 16 years later L.B. Johnson, another democrat, signed into law the civil rights act of 1964, and the voting right act of 1965, knowing at the time that by doing so the democrats were probably going to lose the south for generations to come. And that is exactly what happened. The southern democrats became republicans because of the democrat party's stance on civil rights.
    No, they most certainly did not. The shift to the Republican party doesn't occur until TWENTY years later. There was indeed trouble in the Democratic Party - had been for years - and Civil Rights did in fact play a major role in making it worse. BUT the South was so ridiculously Democrat that it literally didn't make that much of a difference - the worst some would do was split ticket but even that was rare. The Southern Democrats ran much more conservative, that's true - but they were to the right of Republicans at the time and wouldn't have been caught dead talking to one. They stayed in the party DESPITE the rift over Civil Rights.

    Southern Democrats DESPISED the Republicans - the word Reconstruction MATTERS here. There was no way in the double hockey sticks that they would have become Republicans. Get over it - DID NOT HAPPEN.

    The shift to the Republicans doesn't occur until the 1980's when the first Republican wins the first major election in something close to 100 years in the South. But the South still wasn't majority Republican until the mid/late 1990's.

    Civil Rights was 1950's through the end of the 1960's. You might argue early Seventies but that doesn't change the fact that there is no such shift until the 1990's.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  9. #378
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,532
    Amen (Given)
    13983
    Amen (Received)
    28844
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    No, they most certainly did not...
    Jim alone is correct - you're wrong, along with everybody else, and all credible news sources.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  10. #379
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    See my post #375
    Already saw it - and you are flat out wrong.

    You're now trying to tell a Southerner who lived through - and formally studied - the era what happened. That AIN'T gonna work.

    This is probably because you're a Yankee - you guys really have no idea just how despised the Republicans were for Reconstruction - or how long it lasted. Yellow Dogs might hate the party leadership but they were not going to be Republicans in any way, shape, form or fashion.

    Heck, even Wallace, who ran for president as a Dixiecrat, ran for governor his last term as a Democrat. Blacks in the South are still extremely strongly Democrat - and 90% of them voted for Wallace in that election (1984, if memory serves) - which would not have happened if he was a closet Republican.

    Reality does not back you up here.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

  11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
  12. #380
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    16,097
    Amen (Given)
    10839
    Amen (Received)
    5985
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Jim alone is correct - you're wrong, along with everybody else, and all credible news sources.

    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot


    "Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

    My Personal Blog

    My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •