Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    The energy from the sun heats the ocean and so global surface temperatures rise, MM, always has, but the increased CO2 levels prevent that energy from escaping back into space. That's the greenhouse effect. Besides that, "wattsupwiththat", really? Antony Watts and Fred Singer are paid hacks of the Fossil Fuel industry, as most deniers seem to be. Why would you believe them over the consensus of some 99% of the climate scientist.
    The "CO2 greenhouse effect" is a long proven myth, and the ocean is simply not warm enough to account for all the "missing" heat that's supposed to be warming our atmosphere.

Source: NASA

The cold waters of Earth’s deep ocean have not warmed measurably since 2005, according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-new...14/06oct_abyss

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      What world problems did you solve?
      I didn't solve any and never pretended I did. You were the one making the idiot remarks

And why is it a precondition for having a debate to solve world problems?
      It isn't a precondition, it isn't even a slim possibility. That's why we are mocking you for pretending it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        And even if all of these guys are hypocrites, that doesn't mean their message is bunk.
        But it does beg the question: Why should we take their dire warnings of impending doom any more seriously than they do? A lack of conviction on their part certainly suggests that they're no more convinced by "evidence" than the rest of us.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Thanks for the update.

The scream you may have heard was the result of my computer once again dumping everything and the Typio Form recovery was able to restore all of the first sentence but not the four paragraphs after it. Not much help.

I had heard DiCaprio defended because it was said that he wasn't the only one who used the "eyebrow artist" as if she worked on a few others made a lot of difference

Anywho, DiCaprio does like to party on yachts, including his own and the $687 million 482' long one that he rented from Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (a UAE oil tycoon who lives in England) to attend the 2014 World Cup with less than two dozen friends. Apparently it isn't exactly energy efficient using thousands of gallons of diesel fuel per hour. He also likes to fly on private jets several times a month to various destinations in Europe and Asia. And yet he claims to live a "carbon neutral lifestyle."

As for Ruffalo, I should have said that he had his family flown to Australia to vacation on the Great Barrier Reef.

And I don't have a problem with people taking vacations. What I have a problem is people lecturing others to live a more austere lifestyle not doing so themselves.
          Mark Ruffalo's kids make a cameo in Thor Ragnarok, so I don't think they were flown down just to vacation with him. Sounds like they came down along with him while filming. And it looks like DiCaprio is now flying commercial.

Yeah, it sucks when people are hypocrites, but again, we commit the genetic fallacy when we ignore the message for the messenger. And a lot of these people who are being singled out for being hypocrites have raised or donated millions of dollars to the environmental and humanitarian causes they're preaching for. Perhaps that doesn't counter-balance some of their wastefulness, but it seems that more than a few are doing more than simply talking about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            But it does beg the question: Why should we take their dire warnings of impending doom any more seriously than they do? A lack of conviction on their part certainly suggests that they're no more convinced by "evidence" than the rest of us.
            We could say the same about the many Christian pastors and leaders who have done hypocritical things over the years. Paul himself stated, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." People fail. They often don't live up to their convictions. That's life. The question is, is the argument or message they're preaching more powerful than their personal example? I certainly think that's true about the Christian message. And I think it's very likely true about many environmental messages.
            Last edited by Adrift; 08-20-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

The "CO2 greenhouse effect" is a long proven myth, and the ocean is simply not warm enough to account for all the "missing" heat that's supposed to be warming our atmosphere.

Source: NASA

The cold waters of Earth’s deep ocean have not warmed measurably since 2005, according to a new NASA study, leaving unsolved the mystery of why global warming appears to have slowed in recent years.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-new...14/06oct_abyss

© Copyright Original Source

From the last article:

Study coauthor Josh Willis of JPL said these findings do not throw suspicion on climate change itself.

"The sea level is still rising," Willis noted. "We're just trying to understand the nitty-gritty details."
              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• one celebrity that lives what he preaches is Ed Begley, Jr.

Comment

We could say the same about the many Christian pastors and leaders who have done hypocritical things over the years.
                  Indeed we could. Which is why it's so important to live according to one's convictions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                    From the last article:

Study coauthor Josh Willis of JPL said these findings do not throw suspicion on climate change itself.

"The sea level is still rising," Willis noted. "We're just trying to understand the nitty-gritty details."
                    In other words, they're not about to let the facts get in the way of their agenda.

Comment

Indeed we could. Which is why it's so important to live according to one's convictions.
                      I wrote more in that post that I think is relevant to your reply.

Comment

I wrote more in that post that I think is relevant to your reply.
                        You did. And here is what MM wrote a few days ago:

That's why you quote the whole post you're replying to, so people can easily see the entire context of what you're replying to. http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post661362
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I didn't solve any and never pretended I did. You were the one making the idiot remarks

It isn't a precondition, it isn't even a slim possibility. That's why we are mocking you for pretending it is.
                          I think you have missed the difference between world problems and problems. Here is what I wrote:

Typing words sometimes solves problems or helps to solve problems.
                          There is no claim that I solve world problems. What you are creating is a straw man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                            And here is what MM wrote a few days ago [about something completely different...]
                            Fixed that for you.

(Relevant context, for your edification.)

Comment

In other words, they're not about to let the facts get in the way of their agenda.
                              In other words, you trust them when they say something that supports their agenda and don't trust them when what they say gets in the way of your agenda? Perhaps you are the one who is ignoring facts, ideas or opinions when they go against your agenda?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                I think you have missed the difference between world problems and problems. Here is what I wrote:

There is no claim that I solve world problems. What you are creating is a straw man.
                                Backpedal, Chuck! right back into that car!

Let's return to the comment that started this new derail:

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                And this is a good thing is it? The planet is faced with catastrophic global warming and you think it cute to "derail" the thread and talk about AstroTurf.
                                So yeah we were talking about "world problems" in the context of discussion forums.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen, Chuck. Don't just make some assinine comment then try to backpedal away from it when called on it.

Comment