Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    CP - To sum this up: I think your accusations are lame in this case. And I've explained why. There is nothing more to say.
    You never let that stop you.

You are entitled to your opinion, but it sounds like sour grapes to me.
    Nope - that whole "carbon credits" things is crap -- if they truly cared about the environment like they say, they'd be working to cut their carbon footprint, not simply offset it by planting trees. They can do that in ADDITION to cutting emissions.

I don't believe you*.
    Yeah, that'll keep me up all night in tears.

Jim

* I believe that if it was Elton John and you really don't like Elton John you would refuse him.
    I don't care for his music OR his lifestyle.

But that is not the point. Your not refusing the offer, you just don't like Elton John.
    So?

IOW, I don't believe you'd refuse a free paid vacation to france for you and the fam from someone you respected just because they were rich and it was expensive.
    I have absolutely no desire to go to France. Ever.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I'd take a free trip to France - as long as I can give it to some friends of mine.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        I'd take a free trip to France - as long as I can give it to some friends of mine.
        What do you have against your friends?

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          What do you have against your friends?

Yeah, and will there be a return trip?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You never let that stop you.

Nope - that whole "carbon credits" things is crap -- if they truly cared about the environment like they say, they'd be working to cut their carbon footprint, not simply offset it by planting trees. They can do that in ADDITION to cutting emissions.

Yeah, that'll keep me up all night in tears.

I don't care for his music OR his lifestyle.

So?

I have absolutely no desire to go to France. Ever.
            And again, you miss the point. But I understand, you choose not to get it. So there is no point in saying anything else.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

And again, you miss the point. But I understand, you choose not to get it.
              Yes, very grown up of you.

So there is no point in saying anything else.

Jim
              You already said there's nothing more to say...

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              CP - To sum this up: I think your accusations are lame in this case. And I've explained why. There is nothing more to say.
              Maybe third time's a charm?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Right, because a bunch of nerds arguing in a discussion forum are going to solve global warming, right?
                Well "a bunch of nerds arguing in a discussion forum" is not going to solve anything of import, that’s not the purpose of discussion groups.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

of course it matters. We were discussing celebrities using private jets to travel instead of using commercial jets that would already be on their route whether the celebrity took it or not. In other words, every pound of pollution their jet puts out is extra, wasted. Which seems hypocritical for someone who is pushing conservation and reduction in waste.
                  Yes, you are correct as a matter of principle. But in practical terms relatively few celebrities use private jets and the damage to the environment is nowhere near that caused humans overall. Humans are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth's temperature by burning fossil fuels, cutting down rain-forests etc.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    Well "a bunch of nerds arguing in a discussion forum" is not going to solve anything of import, that’s not the purpose of discussion groups.
                    Perhaps you can take a swing at the challenge...

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Please provide an example from Tweb where somebody typed something that actually made a difference regarding climate change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      Yes, you are correct as a matter of principle. But in practical terms relatively few celebrities use private jets and the damage to the environment is nowhere near that caused humans overall. Humans are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth's temperature by burning fossil fuels, cutting down rain-forests etc.
                      So, using private jets is not that bad, especially when celebrities use them while preaching drastic climate change measures?

It seems to me that the rich and famous preaching climate change while jetting around in very expensive private jets is on a par with TV preachers preaching sacrificial giving while jetting around in very expensive private jets.

Both are hypocrisy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        So, using private jets is not that bad, especially when celebrities use them while preaching drastic climate change measures?

It seems to me that the rich and famous preaching climate change while jetting around in very expensive private jets is on a par with TV preachers preaching sacrificial giving while jetting around in very expensive private jets.

Both are hypocrisy.
                        It's like politicians demanding gun bans while surrounded by armed security, or insisting that walls don't work while living in luxurious gated communities.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          It's like politicians demanding gun bans while surrounded by armed security, or insisting that walls don't work while living in luxurious gated communities.
                          But they can AFFORD hiring the guards and walls, so that makes it OK!

Comment

The point in that line of discussion was just that curtailing the use of private jets is a drop in the bucket in terms of what needs to change. Any reduction by the elites of their use of private jets would be a mostly symbolic gesture in terms of its impact on the problem.

And, there are in fact legitimate uses for private jets. And the rich can afford to pay for the right to use them (e.g. 'carbon credits or whatever they are called). Which - in fact is what this particular trip was about.

Elton John paid for the flight to bring them to his home with privacy and security. He just wanted to give them some private time. And he paid for whatever you pay for to offset the extra CO2 created by the flight* to honor their commitment to acting to help reduce climate change.

Seems to me they are acting on what they say they believe in ... within the context of being ridiculously rich.

Jim

ETA

* The idea is to pay to create a reduction in CO2 equal to what you generate, e.g. to have sufficient plants planted to absorb the amount of CO2 created by the trip.
                            How does that change the fact that if these people are calling for conservation and lowering CO2 output, that they are hypocrites for flying around the world in private jets? Just because it is a "drop in the bucket" it doesn't matter? Then neither does MY CO2 output. It is even a smaller drop. But all those drops add up to an ocean don't they?

And even if it was symbolic, they should do it if they want to have any credibility. Because the symbology of them polluting with abandon while preaching ecology makes them look like hypocrites and encourages people to ignore their message.
                            Last edited by Sparko; 08-21-2019, 08:20 AM.

Comment

How does that change the fact that if these people are calling for conservation and lowering CO2 output, that they are hypocrites for flying around the world in private jets? Just because it is a "drop in the bucket" it doesn't matter? Then neither does MY CO2 output. It is even a smaller drop. But all those drops add up to an ocean don't they?

And even if it was symbolic, they should do it if they want to have any credibility. Because the symbology of them polluting with abandon while preaching ecology is making the look like hypocrites and encourages people to ignore their message.
                              But they're RICH, Sparko -- they can afford to play the carbon credit shell game, and have people applaud them for it.

Comment

And even if it was symbolic, they should do it if they want to have any credibility. Because the symbology of them polluting with abandon while preaching ecology is making the look like hypocrites and encourages people to ignore their message.
                                I dont see them as hypocrites in this case. Elton John paid for it and paid to compensate for the extra CO2 produce. 0 net impact on AGW.

Where is the hypocrisy?

Jim
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment