Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Most of the lithium batteries for cars will be in service for many decades. After they're done being in a car they'll likely be bought up and used for grid storage for a couple of more decades. Right now disposal is the best option because battery technology is undergoing a lot of development. So if you set up a process to recycle one type of battery, it will be useless in a decade.

I won't underplay that this is problematic. Like with fly ash sludge we'll have to store the spent batteries. However, the footprint will be a lot less so I think it's manageable. At least it shouldn't be criticized harder than the coal industry.
    uh not from what I have read. I read the lifespan of a car's lithium battery is 5 years. and they can't be easily or efficiently recycled. And just producing them is a huge health and environmental problem, and the rare metals needed to make them are in fact, rare and hard to come by, causing a supply shortage when there are millions of cars on the road.

For one, electric vehicles have a concerning supply chain. Cobalt, a key component of the lithium-ion batteries in electric cars, is linked to reports of child labour. The nickel used in those same batteries is toxic to extract from the ground. And there are environmental concerns and land use conflicts connected with lithium mining in countries like Tibet and Bolivia.

The elements used in battery production are finite and in limited supply. This makes it impossible to electrify all of the world’s transport with current battery technology. Meanwhile, there is still no environmentally safe way of recycling lithium-ion batteries.

https://theconversation.com/not-so-f...-its-own-94980

And while we CAN recycle the batteries, the cost to do so is more than the gain.

Unlike an old mobile phone, an electric vehicle isn’t something you’re going to put in a drawer and forget about. Electric vehicle batteries are simply too big to be kept at home and can’t be left in a landfill. A smelting process is used to recover many minerals, but it alone can’t recover the precious lithium.

After a battery is smelted, the lithium ends up as a mixed byproduct and extracting it is costly. The price of fully recycling a lithium-ion battery is falling towards €1 per kg. The problem is, the value of the raw minerals reclaimed from the process is only a third of that.

https://evrater.com/ev-battery-disposal

And while we can reuse car batteries in other places like you mentioned, eventually they will need to be disposed of. And the lifespan of the reused batteries isn't decades, it is 7 to 10 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      uh not from what I have read. I read the lifespan of a car's lithium battery is 5 years. and they can't be easily or efficiently recycled. And just producing them is a huge health and environmental problem, and the rare metals needed to make them are in fact, rare and hard to come by, causing a supply shortage when there are millions of cars on the road.

For one, electric vehicles have a concerning supply chain. Cobalt, a key component of the lithium-ion batteries in electric cars, is linked to reports of child labour. The nickel used in those same batteries is toxic to extract from the ground. And there are environmental concerns and land use conflicts connected with lithium mining in countries like Tibet and Bolivia.

The elements used in battery production are finite and in limited supply. This makes it impossible to electrify all of the world’s transport with current battery technology. Meanwhile, there is still no environmentally safe way of recycling lithium-ion batteries.

https://theconversation.com/not-so-f...-its-own-94980

And while we CAN recycle the batteries, the cost to do so is more than the gain.

Unlike an old mobile phone, an electric vehicle isn’t something you’re going to put in a drawer and forget about. Electric vehicle batteries are simply too big to be kept at home and can’t be left in a landfill. A smelting process is used to recover many minerals, but it alone can’t recover the precious lithium.

After a battery is smelted, the lithium ends up as a mixed byproduct and extracting it is costly. The price of fully recycling a lithium-ion battery is falling towards €1 per kg. The problem is, the value of the raw minerals reclaimed from the process is only a third of that.

https://evrater.com/ev-battery-disposal

And while we can reuse car batteries in other places like you mentioned, eventually they will need to be disposed of. And the lifespan of the reused batteries isn't decades, it is 7 to 10 years.
      Please see my previous post - or do you have me on ignore as well?

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Please see my previous post - or do you have me on ignore as well?

Jim
        I amened your post, Jim.

I hope that technology pans out.

Especially super capacitors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Nah. We've still got a long way to go technologically and culturally. I mean, 15-minutes to get only 3-hours of drive time? Big deal... I can fill up my Toyota Echo in 5-minutes and drive for 20-hours before I need to refuel.

Electric vehicles will get there eventually, but give it another decade... and watch out for the many unanticipated unintended consequences.
          As far as road trips go with the fam, 15 minutes is about as short a stop as it gets ... and with typically shorter waits between pee stops for youngsters and the ladies, 3 hours is about as long as it gets between stops. So there you go.

A decade is not an unrealistic time frame to see electrics take over. But I think most of the inconvenience associated with them now will be gone in 3 maybe 4 years. Then it takes time for people to realize the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Tesla's are really nice cars, and they are a lot of fun to drive. Electrics go when you tell them to, and they can do it quickly. Not so much like a prius anymore. 7 second 0 to 60 is ho hum common even for the hybrids, with the pure electrics closer to 5 (and the Tesla S just flat out is unsafe in it's fastest mode). They don't need oil changes or tune-ups. They don't have the headaches associated with a typical transmission. The have a lot fewer moving parts. I think they are the future for personal transportation. And the Tesla truck - 7% grade at 65, car like acceleration fully loaded. Range is a problem (550 miles), but for short haul they beat a diesel on life of the vehicle cost.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The latest technologies for Tesla batteries show significantly increased lifespan.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/16...-500000-miles/

And as the technology improves, it will only get better.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/23/tesla...les-elon-musk/

If supercapacitors can rise to the challange then there is an even better outlook as they charge nearly instantly and have little to no degradation in charge capacity over time. Though Telsa's advances in charging technology and battery technology may make that difference unimportant as well.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/18/te...ehicles-a-day/

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18...specs-location

Think about it - with batteries that last 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles and that can charge 3 hours of drive time in the typical gasoline fill-up time frame, the electric car can easily become far more economical over a person's life time than a gasoline car. Given the lack of deterioration of electric motors and cars in general, and the fact the batteries cost significantly less than a new car, People could expect to 'refurbish' their cars after 10 to 15 years at 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a similar new car and keep them virtually forever.

Electric cars are cleaner, faster, more efficient, cheaper to 'fuel', more convenient for daily activities (most of the time you charge them at home) more technologically savvy (smarter).

Already.

And that is because of the vision of one man over a decade. Think what the situation will be a decade from now after the Honda's and the Ford's of the world add their expertise and $$$ to the problem.

Jim
            This is good stuff, Jim. I haven't looked into energy efficiency or cost to fuel of electric cars lately. You still seem to be banking on future projections for some of this stuff; 75 miles of charge in 5 minutes is still a far cry from gasoline fill-up time frame (which will get me about 500 miles, give or take). It appears that it's not yet economically feasible for me to switch to electric ( can't afford a new Tesla), but it may get there.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As far as road trips go with the fam, 15 minutes is about as short a stop as it gets ... and with typically shorter waits between pee stops for youngsters and the ladies, 3 hours is about as long as it gets between stops. So there you go.

A decade is not an unrealistic time frame to see electrics take over. But I think most of the inconvenience associated with them now will be gone in 3 maybe 4 years. Then it takes time for people to realize the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Tesla's are really nice cars, and they are a lot of fun to drive. Electrics go when you tell them to, and they can do it quickly. Not so much like a prius anymore. 7 second 0 to 60 is ho hum common even for the hybrids, with the pure electrics closer to 5 (and the Tesla S just flat out is unsafe in it's fastest mode). They don't need oil changes or tune-ups. They don't have the headaches associated with a typical transmission. The have a lot fewer moving parts. I think they are the future for personal transportation. And the Tesla truck - 7% grade at 65, car like acceleration fully loaded. Range is a problem (550 miles), but for short haul they beat a diesel on life of the vehicle cost.

Jim
              I would love to own an electric car. The only things holding me back:

1. The cost - needs to be same as a gas car
              2. The range - 300-400 mile would be good.
              3. The charge time. OK to charge at home for urban use, but you need a fast charge time for road trip use. 10 min or less for a full charge.
              4. Needs more charging stations

And if you are right, these will be solved soon. I think if that is the case, electric cars will replace gas cars easily. This is what I have been saying, make something better and people will buy it. But if you try to force or regulate the change, you just end up ticking everyone off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I would love to own an electric car. The only things holding me back:

1. The cost - needs to be same as a gas car
                2. The range - 300-400 mile would be good.
                3. The charge time. OK to charge at home for urban use, but you need a fast charge time for road trip use. 10 min or less for a full charge.
                4. Needs more charging stations

And if you are right, these will be solved soon. I think if that is the case, electric cars will replace gas cars easily. This is what I have been saying, make something better and people will buy it. But if you try to force or regulate the change, you just end up ticking everyone off.

An electric car would make sense for someone like me who now rarely travels more than 15 miles, if that. Charging stations are non-issues for me at the moment. The problem is that by the time most people have no need to do a lot of daily travel, they are on a fixed income. A new gas car is no longer a good option - a new electric is simply far too expensive. A used electric has little reliability history so for now, that too, is not a good option. I might get a used hybrid - the third gen Prius has a good reputation. But I'm far more likely to get a used Corolla - affordable and reliable as all get out.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                  What Trump says is meaningless, we are building renewables at a very rapid rate.

No thanks to the man with the power. "The Trump administration has gutted environmental and public land protections".
                  https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...ections-2019-5
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Good the hypocrites are outed.

ECO-WARRIOR royals Harry and Meghan left a huge carbon footprint when they took a private jet to the South of France two days after their flight to Ibiza.

The trip to Nice created seven times more carbon emissions per person than a commercial flight.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/974437...riviera-ibiza/
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Yeah, FIRST you do without your jet - THEN talk to me about my car.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Yeah, FIRST you do without your jet - THEN talk to me about my car.
                        It truly is amazing how many of the loudest environmental champions are "do as I say, not as I do" types.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It truly is amazing how many of the loudest environmental champions are "do as I say, not as I do" types.
                          Which reveals their true motivation is NOT what they claim.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            There are very valid security reasons for a couple like Harry and Meghan to avoid public transportation. If they could travel safely and without undues stress from the crowds and papourazzi on comercial planes you'd have a point - but they cant.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd
                              It is stupid to criticize that. There are very valid security reasons for a couple like Harry and Meghan to avoid public transportation. If they could travel safely and without undues stress from the crowds and papourazzi on comercial planes you'd have a point - but they cant.

Jim
                              Was this a necessary trip? Do you know why they were going? Harry had just promised to cut their carbon footprint.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                Which reveals their true motivation is NOT what they claim.
                                This action doesn't reveal anything of the sort. You can't put two of the most poular royals in the last two decades and their baby on public transportation without creating a massive specticle along with a long list security concerns and inconvenience to their fellow travelers.

Jim

Comment