Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Wrong way of looking at it. It's a question of pollution generated per person.

Another way to think about it, imagine the amount of pollution that would be generated if every person who now flies commercial were to charter a private jet instead.
    Not if we are looking at the actual total percentage the c02 emitted by that mode of travel - which is the point addressed from leon's post.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Sparko is bullying him, it's a dead horse, move on.
      Chuck is tossing balloons right back at Sparky - they are fighting, and Charles is not the underdog.

Heck, he hasn't even gotten dogpiled. And I took up for him - although he promptly argued with me!

They're fine - no one's throwing anything that we have to worry about - but we probably don't wanna have a picnic on the back porch right now.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

That is true Mountain Man. For most of the past two hundred thousand years, CO2 lags temperature. That's because the changes in temperature during those several thousand years have been a multi millenial long oscillation due to periodic changes to the Earth's orbit, which changes how much sunlight reaches us.

They are called Milankovich cycles.

So at first, the temperature rises due to an increase in sunlight. Then this increase in temperature releases dissolved CO2 from the ocean. Then the greenhouse effect of the CO2 takes over and drives the heating towards the peak of the the cycle.

You can see here from a paper by Shakun and Clark (2012) that describes this.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10915

So, why don't they keep going?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Actually belay that. This doesn't matter. If you calculate the CO2 per passanger per mile, then you effective get the efficiency of the transport, and no one is arguing that private jets are comparable to commercial jets in terms of efficiency. They're a lot less efficient by about an order of magnitude.

The question is what percentage of the footprint do they represent and that's a footnote. Its 2.5% is still significant though.

For what it matters I believe any policy that makes flying more expensive, should also make private jets more expensive proportionately.
          of course it matters. We were discussing celebrities using private jets to travel instead of using commercial jets that would already be on their route whether the celebrity took it or not. In other words, every pound of pollution their jet puts out is extra, wasted. Which seems hypocritical for someone who is pushing conservation and reduction in waste.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Nope. Here is what I actually said:
            Yep - look again!

Originally posted by Chuck
            Typing words sometimes solves problems or helps to solve problems.
            *emphasis mine

That's the bit they are taking issue with - and it's defensible, just not the way you did it.

You do realize I was siding with you, right?

Again not quite correct. Here is what I actually said:
            Hint: They way we live our lives, the politicians we vote for and the decisions they make are important factors.
            And typing words isn't directly doing any of those things - you skipped a couple steps which is the problem with your defense. In the ballpark, needs to get on the field.

Well, that and I think you and Sparky enjoy the water balloons...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Yep - look again!

*emphasis mine

That's the bit they are taking issue with - and it's defensible, just not the way you did it.

And typing words isn't directly doing any of those things - you skipped a couple steps which is the problem with your defense. In the ballpark, needs to get on the field.

I like Charles WAY better than Sparko.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Are you expecting disagreement from anyone?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm more of a moderate, I believe that the climate change we experience since the late fifties is caused mainly by human activity. I believe there's reason enough to suspect that accumulated over the next century it will cause significant disruptions to the biosphere, a lot of species of animals will die off, and there will be negative consequences on the economy of many countries. Based on the evidence we have, I conclude that action taken now is better than action taken later. It's more expensive to adapt than to prevent.

I don't believe it will kill humans.

FYI: This addresses part of my argument - do I understand correctly that you aren't therefore arguing for the most stringent, economically dangerous policies?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Yep - look again!

*emphasis mine

Typing words like saying words can solve problems. You can say or write that you forgive. You can say or write that you care about someone, loves someone or something and it could have an actual impact.

I will agree that I skipped some steps (that I perhaps took for granted which others did not).

I realized you were siding with me but only partly. It is possible that I could have expressed myself more clearly. However I think some posters did their best to try to make my statement to the furthermost it could bear.

I appreciate your post and I thank you for your input. What you typed helped solve a problem (and neither you nor I should have a problem with that )
                    Last edited by Charles; 08-20-2019, 03:12 PM.
                    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Are you expecting disagreement from anyone?
                      I mean... I like Charles WAY better than Sparko likes Charles.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Typing words like saying words can solve problems. You can say or write that you forgive. You can say or write that you care about someone, loves someone or something and it could have an actual impact.

I will agree that I skipped some steps (that I perhaps took for granted which others did not).

I realized you were siding with me but only partly. It is possible that I could have expressed myself more clearly. However I think some posters did their best to try to make my statement to the furthermost it could bear.

I appreciate your post and I thank you for your input. What you typed helped solve a problem (and neither you nor I should have a problem with that )
                        Please provide an example from Tweb where somebody typed something that actually made a difference regarding climate change.

Comment

Me too!

Comment

Please provide an example from Tweb where somebody typed something that actually made a difference regarding climate change.
                            Where did I claim I could give such examples?
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Where did I claim I could give such examples?
                              Where did I claim you claimed that?

Comment

Where did I claim you claimed that?
                                It seems it was implied in your question. If not, I'm sorry. Anyway I have not made a claim that I could give an example. I cannot know how all the posts influence the readers. I assume most of us post with the hope of influencing... Or perhaps you are just here because you think I am funny?

Comment