Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Me too!
    I have to disagree because we just cannot agree on anything. So I like Sparko WAY better than Charles.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
      It seems it was implied in your question.
      I WISH you people could learn the difference between implied and inferred! YOU may have inferred that, but I certainly did NOT imply it!

It's what this whole thing has been about ---- and I think I'm the one who started it by calling Tassman out for seeming to think he was accomplishing anything relative to climate change by his bloviating.

If not, I'm sorry.
      Policy accepted.

Anyway I have not made a claim that I could give an example.
      Nor did I claim you did.

I cannot know how all the posts influence the readers.
      This media is ripe for "I'm right" - "no, I'M right" - "well, look at my charts and graphs" - "no, YOU look at MY charts and graphs".... rinse, repeat.

I assume most of us post with the hope of influencing... Or perhaps you are just here because you think I am funny?
      I don't take an active part in the climate change debate for the very reason that it's just both sides vigorously defending their own view, which is why I asked what I asked.

I think it's all a whole bunch of heat and ZERO light.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I WISH you people could learn the difference between implied and inferred! YOU may have inferred that, but I certainly did NOT imply it!
        Sorry about THAT. And please don't think I would imply that YOU are angry now.
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Sorry about THAT. And please don't think I would imply that YOU are angry now.
          I am almost NEVER angry.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am almost NEVER angry.
            But

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              of course it matters. We were discussing celebrities using private jets to travel instead of using commercial jets that would already be on their route whether the celebrity took it or not. In other words, every pound of pollution their jet puts out is extra, wasted. Which seems hypocritical for someone who is pushing conservation and reduction in waste.
              The point in that line of discussion was just that curtailing the use of private jets is a drop in the bucket in terms of what needs to change. Any reduction by the elites of their use of private jets would be a mostly symbolic gesture in terms of its impact on the problem.

And, there are in fact legitimate uses for private jets. And the rich can afford to pay for the right to use them (e.g. 'carbon credits or whatever they are called). Which - in fact is what this particular trip was about.

Elton John paid for the flight to bring them to his home with privacy and security. He just wanted to give them some private time. And he paid for whatever you pay for to offset the extra CO2 created by the flight* to honor their commitment to acting to help reduce climate change.

Seems to me they are acting on what they say they believe in ... within the context of being ridiculously rich.

Jim

ETA

* The idea is to pay to create a reduction in CO2 equal to what you generate, e.g. to have sufficient plants planted to absorb the amount of CO2 created by the trip.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-20-2019, 04:11 PM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

But
                My wife hates it that I can wake up and immediately be singing or joking, and I almost never get angry unless the subject of my former son-in-law comes up.

(And when I use the emojis as above, it's kinda like cartoon swearing - I'm being somewhat of a drama queen. )

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  The point in that line of discussion was just that curtailing the use of private jets is a drop in the bucket in terms of what needs to change. Any reduction by the elites of their use of private jets would be a mostly symbolic gesture in terms of its impact on the problem.
                  Think about that, Jim --- it's the collection of "drops in the bucket" which, allegedly, will make a difference, no? Why exempt those who live the lifestyle of the rich and famous?

And, there are in fact legitimate uses for private jets.
                  Because one wants to take their family on a luxury vacation while sanctimoniously lecturing others on the need to reduce carbon?

Jim, why are you defending this crap. I don't get it.

Comment

I am almost NEVER angry.
                    Unfortunately, I can not say the same thing
                    Last edited by rogue06; 08-20-2019, 04:46 PM. Reason: left out "say"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Think about that, Jim --- it's the collection of "drops in the bucket" which, allegedly, will make a difference, no? Why exempt those who live the lifestyle of the rich and famous?

Because one wants to take their family on a luxury vacation while sanctimoniously lecturing others on the need to reduce carbon?

Jim, why are you protecting these people? I don't get it.
                      err - "Jim - when did you stop beating your wife?"

I'm not protecting THEM. What I am doing is arguing against the technical elements of the charge of hypocrisy, which I see in this case to be invalid.

Elton John offered them a nice vacation, and as part of it he honored their commitment to fighting climate change by paying to offset the extra CO2 generated by the flight.

I doubt seriously there is any person here that would not have accepted that offer.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Unfortunately, I can not same the thing
                        But we still love you!

Er, why are you taking CP's engine out of his car? You're not going to try making it into a rocket again, are you?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          But we still love you!

Er, why are you taking CP's engine out of his car? You're not going to try making it into a rocket again, are you?
                          Pfft. No.

I figure that along with the one I got from Sparko I'm finally gonna make those sooper dooper inline roller skates I designed as a kid

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            err - "Jim - when did you stop beating your wife?"
                            Yeah, that's exactly what that was.

I'm not protecting THEM.
                            You're defending their nonsense.

What I am doing is arguing against the technical elements of the charge of hypocrisy, which I see in this case to be invalid.
                            Of course you do, I'm wondering why.

Elton John offered them a nice vacation, and as part of it he honored their commitment to fighting climate change by paying to offset the extra CO2 generated by the flight.

I doubt seriously there is any person here that would not have accepted that offer.

Jim
                            That sounds like a steaming load of crap to me --- "Hey, do as we SAY, not as we do, cause we're RICH, and we can PAY for OUR sins!"

And, no, I wouldn't accept Elton John's offer.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Pfft. No.

I figure that along with the one I got from Sparko I'm finally gonna make those sooper dooper inline roller skates I designed as a kid
                              Not again!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly what that was.

You're defending their nonsense.

Of course you do, I'm wondering why.
                                CP - To sum this up: I think your accusations are lame in this case. And I've explained why. There is nothing more to say.

That sounds like a steaming load of crap to me --- "Hey, do as we SAY, not as we do, cause we're RICH, and we can PAY for OUR sins!"
                                You are entitled to your opinion, but it sounds like sour grapes to me.

And, no, I wouldn't accept Elton John's offer.
                                I don't believe you*.

Jim

* I believe that your claimed refusal is based on who made the offer, not the offer itself.
                                IOW, I don't believe you'd refuse a free paid vacation to france complete with charted private jet for you and the fam from someone you respected just because they were rich and it was expensive.
                                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-20-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment