Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    South America is clearing the rain forest like crazy, in order to industrialize. You would have to plant an equivalent area in order to even keep up. So where would you do it?
    That has slowed down somewhat, if memory serves.

Forget trees - reclaim areas lost or being lost to desertification. Grass and animals first - let the natural cycle work for us.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

There are groups who want to stop humans from breathing so much. They think we are a virus and should be eliminated.
      You mean like these guys?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        There is an actual anti-mowing movement growing in the US. I can't remember what it's officially called, but the idea (if I recall correctly) is that the concept of a "lawn" comes from poor people in the 19th century attempting to emulate the gorgeously trimmed estates of the bourgeois wealthy. In order to move away from that, this new eco-movement is concerned about a number of things including the use (or overuse) of water, poisons, fuel, and money to make lawns look maintained, and for the preservation of bees and butterflies, and the like. Instead, they suggest either growing wild flowers, or landscaping with rocks and flower or vegetable gardens.
        We could go back to traditional Southern swept yards!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          Makes sense. I'm actually looking into "moss lawns," and "micro clover lawns" right now, and for some people who like the look of short green lawn, that may be the way to go. Probably depends on climate, tree shade, HOA and that sort of stuff though.
          There are some breeds of grass that stay pretty short.

My sister's solution - which she never implemented - was to pave the yard and paint the concrete green!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            There's a part of my lawn where grass simply refuses to grow. When I was still having my lawn treated, it more or less stayed bare dirt. Weeds grow there fine, though.
            This will sound weird, but plant dandelions there and keep the flowers deadheaded for a few years. Grass will start growing in that direction - the 'weeds' are basically sod busters - they will fix poor soil.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              The dispute isn't so much about whether or not CO2 levels are rising but over what kind of impact it's having on global temperatures, and according to the best data available, the answer seems to lie somewhere between "Very little" and "None at all".
              Really MM? How interesting. So, if it isn't the rising CO2 levels, then what is it that is causing the warming trend?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                The dispute isn't so much about whether or not CO2 levels are rising but over what kind of impact it's having on global temperatures, and according to the best data available, the answer seems to lie somewhere between "Very little" and "None at all".
                That is not what the answer seems to be at all. Now nothing can stop you from saying such stupid things of course, but all you're doing is repeating ignorance when you do not have the requisite background in science to discern whether or not it is bogus. The least you could do is admit you are not capable of figuring out which has the evidence on its side and stop naking absolute pronouncements from ignorance.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Another successful derail
                  And this is a good thing is it? The planet is faced with catastrophic global warming and you think it cute to "derail" the thread and talk about AstroTurf. Be aware that most of the world does not believe that these are the End-Times and that Jesus is about to return on his cloud of glory. Most of us are more concerned about the futures of our grand-kids on an uninhabitable planet than the religious delusions of the few.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    That is not what the answer seems to be at all. Now nothing can stop you from saying such stupid things of course, but all you're doing is repeating ignorance when you do not have the requisite background in science to discern whether or not it is bogus. The least you could do is admit you are not capable of figuring out which has the evidence on its side and stop naking absolute pronouncements from ignorance.

Jim
                    That's a rather bitter ad hominem you have there, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hypocrite.

But I'm not making this up...

(2012) An important new paper published today in Global and Planetary Change finds that changes in CO2 follow rather than lead global air surface temperature and that “CO2 released from use of fossil fuels have little influence on the observed changes in the amount of atmospheric CO2” The paper finds the “overall global temperature change sequence of events appears to be from 1) the ocean surface to 2) the land surface to 3) the lower troposphere,” in other words, the opposite of claims by global warming alarmists that CO2 in the atmosphere drives land and ocean temperatures. Instead, just as in the ice cores, CO2 levels are found to be a lagging effect ocean warming, not significantly related to man-made emissions, and not the driver of warming. Prior research has shown infrared radiation from greenhouse gases is incapable of warming the oceans, only shortwave radiation from the Sun is capable of penetrating and heating the oceans and thereby driving global surface temperatures.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/08/...lobal-warming/

Ice core samples covering long stretches of earth's history consistently show that CO2 increases follow temperature increases. There is little if any evidence that CO2 is a driver of global temperatures.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      There are very valid security reasons for a couple like Harry and Meghan to avoid public transportation. If they could travel safely and without undues stress from the crowds and papourazzi on comercial planes you'd have a point - but they cant.

Jim
                      I was thinking more of those like Leonardo DiCaprio, who (along with some other celebutards) apparently had an "eyebrow artist" flown from Australia to Los Angeles to touch up his eyebrows before the 2017 Oscars.

Or Barbra Streisand who told people they should stop using clothes dryers and instead use clotheslines in order to conserve energy and pollute less while while she merrily flies around on fossil fuel-sucking private jets, travels locally in gas-guzzling limos and SUVs and vacations on huge yachts that aren't using sails to move them about (DiCaprio is also notorious for chartering mega-yachts to party on).

Or Mark Ruffalo, who demands that we live on 100% renewables by 2050 then turns around and takes his family to Australia from Manhattan on a jumbo jet to take pictures of the Great Barrier Reef.

And of course there is Al Gore.

Back in 2006 it was disclosed through an examination of public records that Gore's home and office racked up $30,000-a-year in utility bills devouring roughly 221,000 kilowatt hours -- or more than 20 times what the average 4 bedroom house in the same area uses. And FWIU using green energy sources doesn't cause you to consume more energy or cause a "significant uptick" so I'm not sure what you're getting at there[1].

And it wasn't just the "right wing" complaining about Gore's energy consumption habits (which IIRC included using a jet to fly to a location that was only a 2 hour drive away) as some complain. It was senior fellow at the Center for American Progress Eric Alterman who revealed that Gore was keeping his pool so warm that it actually consumed more energy than his 20-room house (not including 8 bathrooms).

At the time a spokesperson for Gore claimed the high consumption was due to the fact that he had bought an older home and was in the process of upgrading it but a check in 2016 found that he was consuming even more energy -- 230,889 kilowatt hours. And his pool was still using more electricity in 2 months than what the average American home did in an entire year, averaging 5513 kilowatt hours per month. That's more than 6 times what the average American uses for their entire home.

Gore is yet another "do as I say not as I do" hypocrite[2] unlike Ed Begley Jr. who actually practices what he preaches (who lives in a LEED-platinum certified house, the highest environmental rating from the U.S. Green Building Council, which is solar-powered, has composting toilets and a huge rainwater tank for his fruit and vegetable garden. He's also driven electric cars exclusively since the early 70s).

Finally, it should be noted that a study by researchers from the University of Michigan and Cornell University revealed that those who are "highly concerned" about climate change are in fact the "least likely to report individual-level actions" to reduce their environmental impact and those who are largely "skeptical" of climate change "were most likely to report engaging in individual-level pro-environmental behaviors."[3]

1. If you want an example of a former top politician's home being environmental friendly that would be George W Bush's ranch in Crawford Texas which the Chicago Tribune described as being "a model of environmental rectitude" with geothermal heat pumps circulating water at a constant 67 degree temperature which heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer thereby using about a quarter of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize. It also filtered wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets and mixed it with collected rainwater for irrigation

2. Back during the energy crisis of the 1970s Richard Nixon asked Americans to forgo using Christmas lights to decorate their houses in order to conserve energy -- all the while having the air conditioners in the White House going so he could enjoy a continuous fire going in the fireplace.

3. See Believing in climate change, but not behaving sustainably: Evidence from a one-year longitudinal study
                      Last edited by rogue06; 08-20-2019, 06:23 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        And this is a good thing is it? The planet is faced with catastrophic global warming and you think it cute to "derail" the thread and talk about AstroTurf. ...
                        So why are you here? Get your sorry butt out there and solve the problem instead of wasting your time typing words!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          This will sound weird, but plant dandelions there and keep the flowers deadheaded for a few years. Grass will start growing in that direction - the 'weeds' are basically sod busters - they will fix poor soil.
                          Deadheaded?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Deadheaded?
                            Cutting off dead flower heads. Usually done to keep it flowering, deadheading also prevents the plant from setting seed.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                              The planet is faced with catastrophic global warming...
                              Fake news.

"10 Of 10 Coastal Antarctic Stations Show Zero Warming Over Past Decades"

"Antarctica Warmer 1,000 Years Ago… Now, *That’s* An Inconvenient Truth!"

"No Global Warming For 25 Years"

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Deadheaded?
                                00000000000000ab000-00aal.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment