Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    - and we've derailed the thread again -
    But of course you have.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I like to buy the ones that have at least a thousand reviews, and a high percentage of them positive. Some of these are not so easy to set up, but you'll find that in the comments and evaluations.

I've had no problem with the ones I've bought, and most of the switches in my house are smart switches, along with a number of smart plugs. I can even tell Alexa "set home thermostat to 74", and in a few seconds, it's set.

All of my exterior lights are on smart switches, and grouped as "outside", so Mrs CP can just say "Alexa, turn on outside" - and all of the security lights, back yard lights, shop lights.... they all come on at once.
      So that honeywell thermostat works with Alexa too?

How hard is it to install?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So that honeywell thermostat works with Alexa too?

How hard is it to install?
        It's really a piece of cake - they stress that you need a "c" wire in the thermostat wiring bundle, but most houses have that unless they're really old.

And, yes, we have NINE (8 at the church and one at home) thermostats on one account, and I can even tell Alexa from home to cool down my Church office before I get there.

There are only a few of us who have the account, so anybody having a meeting or doing anything at the church that wasn't programmed can just text us and we can turn on heat or air from anywhere in the world.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Why would the Obamas buy a beach front house that will probably be underwater in ten years?

Barack and Michelle Obama are buying a $15M estate in Martha’s Vineyard

190822-barack-michelle-obama-marthas-vineyard-50.jpg

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/barack...thas-vineyard/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Why would the Obamas buy a beach front house that will probably be underwater in ten years?

Barack and Michelle Obama are buying a $15M estate in Martha’s Vineyard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39245[/ATTACH]

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/barack...thas-vineyard/
            It will take a lot more than 10 years to see that much sea-level rise. 1 meter is the 100 year guess right now. the house is way more than 1 meter up.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              It will take a lot more than 10 years to see that much sea-level rise. 1 meter is the 100 year guess right now. the house is way more than 1 meter up.
              I thought the story was that the coastal cities are going to be underwater soon if we don't do something?

Comment

I thought the story was that the coastal cities are going to be underwater soon if we don't do something?
                These are royals, there will be excuses for them.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is. Many coastal cities and ports can't tolerate 1 meter of sea-level rise.

1 meter is looking conservative right now - glaciers and arctic ice are melting MUCH faster than expected.

A foot of average sea-level rise also translates into significantly more damage during storms like hurricanes in the low lying area. A 3 foot storm surge now does what a 4 foot storm surge did. At 1 meter in 2100, we can add a meter to the storm surge's height relative to the year 2000. That and increased average storm strength due to higher sea temperatures.

New Orleans, Miami and NYC all would have a hard time accommodating 1 meter of sea level rise. Miami would struggle with 18" by this report:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/18...ea-level-rise/

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    It is. Many coastal cities and ports can't tolerate 1 meter of sea-level rise.

1 meter is looking conservative right now - glaciers and arctic ice are melting MUCH faster than expected.

A foot of average sea-level rise also translates into significantly more damage during storms like hurricanes in the low lying area. A 3 foot storm surge now does what a 4 foot storm surge did. At 1 meter in 2100, we can add a meter to the storm surge's height relative to the year 2000. That and increased average storm strength due to higher sea temperatures.

New Orleans, Miami and NYC all would have a hard time accommodating 1 meter of sea level rise. Miami would struggle with 18" by this report:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/09/18...ea-level-rise/

Jim
                    So do you want to revisit your earlier comment?

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That and he was downplaying the effect on Obama's new house but saying how dire it would be for entire coastal cities because of the increased storms and so on.

Comment

That and he was downplaying the effect on Obama's new house but saying how dire it would be for entire coastal cities because of the increased storms and so on.
                          This is the kind of "uncertain trumpet" that causes so many skeptics to shake their heads and walk away.

Comment

You mean about Obama's house? not at all. It won't be underwater (in terms of average sea level) for more than 100 years. Did you mean something else?

Jim

Comment

Before you start mocking a comment or an idea, you should take a little bit of time to understand it.

seer was implying the house would be 'under water' in 10 years. That is NOT an implication of sea level rise. It is already close enough to the shore to get slammed by a hurricane. But it will be a while before that land is permanently under water.

However, the implications for cities and ports that are actually LOWER from a height above sea level that that house is much more significant. Both in terms of impact to the economy, and time to which where they are would start to see the effect of sea level rise.

So - you and CP's mocking posts are the mocking of the ignorant. It just makes you and CP both look stupid - which I know you are not.

Jim

Comment

well - yes Sparko. If Obama's house gets wiped out - that impacts Obama. If the New York City Ports are ruined, that impacts the economy of the entire US.

What is so hard to comprehend about that?

Jim

Comment