Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Will The Global Warming Hysterics Never Tire Of Being Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So why are you here? Get your sorry butt out there and solve the problem instead of wasting your time typing words!
    Typing words sometimes solves problems or helps to solve problems. Ideas and convictions influence our behaviour. I feel quite sure you are aware of it so it rather seems you are wasting your own time undermining your own reason to be here.
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I was thinking more of those like Leonardo DiCaprio, who (along with some other celebutards) apparently had an "eyebrow artist" flown from Australia to Los Angeles to touch up his eyebrows before the 2017 Oscars.
      Turns out that was false.
      "We previously reported that Leonardo DiCaprio was one member of the Hollywood elite who flew Hamilton the 7,500 across the Pacific Ocean, but we have since learnt that this was incorrect."

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Or Mark Ruffalo, who demands that we live on 100% renewables by 2050 then turns around and takes his family to Australia from Manhattan on a jumbo jet to take pictures of the Great Barrier Reef.
      According to the Daily Mail, apparently Mark Ruffalo was working in Australia at the time for Thor: Ragnarok
      "He wrapped up filming Thor: Ragnarok on the Gold Coast last week.

And it seems Mark Ruffalo is making the most of being in Australia, enjoying some time off with his family Down Under."

Ruffalo then also brought attention to the destruction of the Reef on social media.

I don't think that the message from most celebrity environmentalists is that you can't take a vacation with your family. I also think that, from a practical stand point, sometimes we need to take into consideration that different levels of privacy, security, and working conditions are required for some people than for others. Yeah, maybe that's a bit classist, but the reality is, my job simply isn't as important, and my privacy simply isn't as threatened as some head of state, corporation exec, or some major movie star that's bringing in billions of dollars into their industry. And even if all of these guys are hypocrites, that doesn't mean their message is bunk. That's classic Genetic Fallacy. There are plenty of celebrities who are at least attempting to live up to their standards they hope to see in others. You mentioned Ed Begley Jr., but I think Neil Young is up there, Daryl Hannah, Woody Harrelson, Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, and Jamie Oliver to name a few. A lot of these celebrities have also poured thousands and some cases millions of dollars into certain philanthropic environmental projects.
      Last edited by Adrift; 08-20-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        That's a rather bitter ad hominem you have there, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hypocrite.

But I'm not making this up...

(2012) An important new paper published today in Global and Planetary Change finds that changes in CO2 follow rather than lead global air surface temperature and that “CO2 released from use of fossil fuels have little influence on the observed changes in the amount of atmospheric CO2” The paper finds the “overall global temperature change sequence of events appears to be from 1) the ocean surface to 2) the land surface to 3) the lower troposphere,” in other words, the opposite of claims by global warming alarmists that CO2 in the atmosphere drives land and ocean temperatures. Instead, just as in the ice cores, CO2 levels are found to be a lagging effect ocean warming, not significantly related to man-made emissions, and not the driver of warming. Prior research has shown infrared radiation from greenhouse gases is incapable of warming the oceans, only shortwave radiation from the Sun is capable of penetrating and heating the oceans and thereby driving global surface temperatures.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/08/...lobal-warming/

Ice core samples covering long stretches of earth's history consistently show that CO2 increases follow temperature increases. There is little if any evidence that CO2 is a driver of global temperatures.
        The energy from the sun heats the ocean and so global surface temperatures rise, MM, always has, but the increased CO2 levels prevent that energy from escaping back into space. That's the greenhouse effect. Besides that, "wattsupwiththat", really? Antony Watts and Fred Singer are paid hacks of the Fossil Fuel industry, as most deniers seem to be. Why would you believe them over the consensus of some 99% of the climate scientist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          You mean like these guys?

I would just tell them, "That sounds great. You first."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            We could go back to traditional Southern swept yards!
            That's more work than mowing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              And this is a good thing is it? The planet is faced with catastrophic global warming and you think it cute to "derail" the thread and talk about AstroTurf. Be aware that most of the world does not believe that these are the End-Times and that Jesus is about to return on his cloud of glory. Most of us are more concerned about the futures of our grand-kids on an uninhabitable planet than the religious delusions of the few.
              Right, because a bunch of nerds arguing in a discussion forum are going to solve global warming, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                Typing words sometimes solves problems or helps to solve problems. Ideas and convictions influence our behaviour. I feel quite sure you are aware of it so it rather seems you are wasting your own time undermining your own reason to be here.
                Breaking News!!!

Forum Guy solves all world problems in a single post!

Reuters

"I was just replying to some other guy in a thread, and posted what I was thinking," he said. "Next thing I know I am getting the Presidential Medal of Honor and the Nobel Peace Prize for solving the Immigration problem, Global Warming, and world poverty"
                He claimed he was just tired of threads being derailed when important topics were being discussed and decided once and for all, to let people know that these were important topics and that we could solve them if we just tried. Then in one masterful stroke, Forum Guy made the now famous post that solved all of the world's problems in a simple sentence. Thank you Forum Guy!

Comment

Typing words sometimes solves problems or helps to solve problems.
                  Yeah, please explain to me how a very caustic poster waging war on a discussion board solves climate change.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                    Turns out that was false.
                    "We previously reported that Leonardo DiCaprio was one member of the Hollywood elite who flew Hamilton the 7,500 across the Pacific Ocean, but we have since learnt that this was incorrect."

According to the Daily Mail, apparently Mark Ruffalo was working in Australia at the time for Thor: Ragnarok
                    "He wrapped up filming Thor: Ragnarok on the Gold Coast last week.

And it seems Mark Ruffalo is making the most of being in Australia, enjoying some time off with his family Down Under."

Ruffalo then also brought attention to the destruction of the Reef on social media.

I don't think that the message from most celebrity environmentalists is that you can't take a vacation with your family. I also think that, from a practical stand point, sometimes we need to take into consideration that different levels of privacy, security, and working conditions are required for some people than for others. Yeah, maybe that's a bit classist, but the reality is, my job simply isn't as important, and my privacy simply isn't as threatened as some head of state, corporation exec, or some major movie star that's bringing in billions of dollars into their industry. And even if all of these guys are hypocrites, that doesn't mean their message is bunk. That's classic Genetic Fallacy. There are plenty of celebrities who are at least attempting to live up to their standards they hope to see in others. You mentioned Ed Begley Jr., but I think Neil Young is up there, Daryl Hannah, Woody Harrelson, Cate Blanchett, Natalie Portman, and Jamie Oliver to name a few. A lot of these celebrities have also poured thousands and some cases millions of dollars into certain philanthropic environmental projects.
                    Thanks for the update.

The scream you may have heard was the result of my computer once again dumping everything and the Typio Form recovery was able to restore all of the first sentence but not the four paragraphs after it. Not much help.

I had heard DiCaprio defended because it was said that he wasn't the only one who used the "eyebrow artist" as if she worked on a few others made a lot of difference

Anywho, DiCaprio does like to party on yachts, including his own and the $687 million 482' long one that he rented from Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (a UAE oil tycoon who lives in England) to attend the 2014 World Cup with less than two dozen friends. Apparently it isn't exactly energy efficient using thousands of gallons of diesel fuel per hour. He also likes to fly on private jets several times a month to various destinations in Europe and Asia. And yet he claims to live a "carbon neutral lifestyle."

As for Ruffalo, I should have said that he had his family flown to Australia to vacation on the Great Barrier Reef.

And I don't have a problem with people taking vacations. What I have a problem is people lecturing others to live a more austere lifestyle not doing so themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, please explain to me how a very caustic poster waging war on a discussion board solves climate change.
                      Hint: They way we live our lives, the politicians we vote for and the decisions they make are important factors.
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Hint: They way we live our lives, the politicians we vote for and the decisions they make are important factors.
                        You do make me smile, Charles. Thanks for trying. None of that has anything to do with bloviating on a discussion board.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          [...] And even if all of these guys are hypocrites, that doesn't mean their message is bunk. That's classic Genetic Fallacy. [...]
                          A fallacy that we, unfortunately, see quite often. It seems that there is a greater interest in pointing to others being bad or hypocrites than pointing to good examples.

Comment

You do make me smile, Charles. Thanks for trying. None of that has anything to do with bloviating on a discussion board.
                            If you can always end discussion by pointing to the fact that writing on a discussion board does not solve problems, there is no need to even start discussing, is there?

Comment

If you can always end discussion by pointing to the fact that writing on a discussion board does not solve problems, there is no need to even start discussing, is there?
                              I haven't seen you solving any world problems lately Chuck, so why do you post on discussion boards? Other than to nanny?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I haven't seen you solving any world problems lately Chuck, so why do you post on discussion boards? Other than to nanny?
                                What world problems did you solve? And why is solving world problems a precondition for having a debate? Perhaps discussions could be part of solving world problems? I believe so, and that is part of the reason I am here. If you don't believe so, then why are you spending your time here?
                                Last edited by Charles; 08-20-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment