Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Second hard drive unavailable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hard drive unavailable

Sometimes, my computer(HP less than a year old) won't boot up because it can't find the OS or the second hard drive is unavailable. I've sent it to HP twice, but it still happens. Last time it happened, I left the laptop off for a few days and used my old one instead. When I tried booting up the new one, it worked. Why? The second time I sent it out, they sent me a message implying there was a simple fix. But there simple fix didn't seem to be permanent....
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

I had two identical HP desktop computers 5 years ago. One kept having trouble booting up. I eventually tried the second computer [it hadn't even been unboxed]. The second one wouldn't boot up. But the HP computer at work is doing okay.

I had a temporary workaround. I would spray the dust cleaner onto a certain circuit to try cooling it down. But even this failed to work after awhile. I think that the integrated circuit had a flaw that allowed it to deteriorate after a year or so.

Comment

Sounds like a loose connection or something like that.

Comment

How would a delayed reboot fix that?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          How would a delayed reboot fix that?
          Just moving the laptop could affect a loose connection. It's just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Sounds like a loose connection or something like that.
            In which case, as mw hinted, it could be temperature related.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              In which case, as mw hinted, it could be temperature related.
              yep. something like a connector could be getting hot and expanding and losing connection. Or just moving the laptop around could jiggle it loose or make it connect. I suspect a loose connection because she said that HP mentioned an "easy fix" and it worked for a while then stopped again. But there is no way to really tell just by what we read over the internet.

Comment

yep. something like a connector could be getting hot and expanding and losing connection. Or just moving the laptop around could jiggle it loose or make it connect. I suspect a loose connection because she said that HP mentioned an "easy fix" and it worked for a while then stopped again. But there is no way to really tell just by what we read over the internet.
                I've had people but the laptop in the fridge for about 20 minutes, and see if it boots, then leave it on the table in direct sunlight (through a window, or out on the patio) and let it warm up.... Nothing extreme.

Just see what affect temperature has, if any.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I've had people but the laptop in the fridge for about 20 minutes, and see if it boots, then leave it on the table in direct sunlight (through a window, or out on the patio) and let it warm up.... Nothing extreme.

Just see what affect temperature has, if any.
                  I wish I knew that trick before I used a blow torch on my laptop!

Comment

How would I clone the first drive onto the second drive? Copy and paste did not do the trick.

Comment

How would I clone the first drive onto the second drive? Copy and paste did not do the trick.
                      You have to use special software to clone the drive. I use a program called Acronis True Image.

There is a free program called Clonezilla, but I have never tried it.

https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php

Comment

You have to use special software to clone the drive. I use a program called Acronis True Image.

There is a free program called Clonezilla, but I have never tried it.

https://clonezilla.org/downloads.php
                        I have been using EaseUS products, like their partition manager, and drive copy. I've probably used it over a hundred times, and never EVER had a problem.

Screenshot 2020-02-13 15.34.05.jpg

OK, once, when a SSD drive was DOA.

Comment

When I sent it off again, the replaced the two hard drives with one 1TB SSD and a DVD drive. So, should that fix it?

Comment

When I sent it off again, the replaced the two hard drives with one 1TB SSD and a DVD drive. So, should that fix it?
                            Wow, sounds good! I like to partition my 1T or 2T hard drives to a C: for windows and programs and a D: for data. But, yeah, sounds good!

Comment