Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The War on Encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, if I knew that the "time served" was finite, and I could just psych myself up to endure the 2 years or whatever, that'd be one thing. If I knew I was going to sit there until I cooperated, that'd be a whole 'nuther story.
    Oh, I see what you mean. It's a 2-year maximum.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Oh, I see what you mean. It's a 2-year maximum.
      Yes, and the accused will weigh that 2 year maximum against whatever sentence he may get if he unlocks the device and provides evidence of murder, extortion, or whatever for a much longer sentence.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, and the accused will weigh that 2 year maximum against whatever sentence he may get if he unlocks the device and provides evidence of murder, extortion, or whatever for a much longer sentence.
        This is when it is good to have a remote wipe available on the device. Then you can remotely wipe all data from the device and go ahead and unlock it for them.

My phone has such a feature on it because I have work emails on it. If my phone gets lost or stolen, the company can remotely wipe it. At least their emails.

And you can remotely format your iphone or ipad from icloud.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/05/remot...phone-or-ipad/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Well if they are going to violate the 4th amendment, then the way to do it would be to force the suspect to unlock the device or account in question, NOT to put backdoors into every encryption method. At least that way only the suspect's privacy is being violated and not potentially everyone's.
          Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Agreed.

UK law does exactly that, by making it an offence to refuse to decrypt data subject to a court warrant. Though obviously some people consider a two-year sentence preferable to what they would get if they unlocked their data.

Psst! Guys! The Fifth Amendment! You know, the one that says you can't be forced to incriminate yourself?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

This is when it is good to have a remote wipe available on the device. Then you can remotely wipe all data from the device and go ahead and unlock it for them.

My phone has such a feature on it because I have work emails on it. If my phone gets lost or stolen, the company can remotely wipe it. At least their emails.

And you can remotely format your iphone or ipad from icloud.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/05/remot...phone-or-ipad/
            Yup
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup
              Um, doesn't that make this whole argument moot?
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Only if all parties follow the law.

Comment

if you are smart enough to have it set up that someone would wipe your phone and computers remotely for you if you were arrested. Most crooks aren't that smart though. And once you are arrested it is hard to get access to a method of wiping your phone from the jail.

Comment

if you are smart enough to have it set up that someone would wipe your phone and computers remotely for you if you were arrested. Most crooks aren't that smart though. And once you are arrested it is hard to get access to a method of wiping your phone from the jail.
                    Heck, a lot of crooks post the incriminating evidence on the internetzweb for all to see!

Comment

Heck, a lot of crooks post the incriminating evidence on the internetzweb for all to see!
                      Yeah. makes my job easier. One of my job functions is to gather social media for legal cases. People will do some really stupid stuff. Like claim they have a bad back from a car accident, then post themselves riding cross country on ATVs on facebook.

Comment

Yeah. makes my job easier. One of my job functions is to gather social media for legal cases. People will do some really stupid stuff. Like claim they have a bad back from a car accident, then post themselves riding cross country on ATVs on facebook.
                        Yeah, my wife is a hiring manager, and they get a lot of applications for student workers. A quick look at an applicant's social media accounts gives an interesting perspective to their chances for employment.

Comment

Yeah, my wife is a hiring manager, and they get a lot of applications for student workers. A quick look at an applicant's social media accounts gives an interesting perspective to their chances for employment.
                          I have my social media locked down pretty tight and if I were looking for a job, I would first go through and remove anything I thought might be controversial or political, because you never know what the hiring manager would think one way or the other. I also never make "public" posts.

Comment

Which also makes this discussion moot!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Which also makes this discussion moot!
                              well it's my discussion so moot away.

Comment

Well if they are going to violate the 4th amendment, then the way to do it would be to force the suspect to unlock the device or account in question, NOT to put backdoors into every encryption method. At least that way only the suspect's privacy is being violated and not potentially everyone's.
                                That why China takes the approach they have.
                                No need for inserting backdoors to do the encryption. Just install an app that screen-grabs everything and sends it to the government servers and insist that everyone installs the app. Lately they've even been insisting that tourists to a certain province (I can't recall the name, one with a number of Muslims living in it) install the app, or you don't visit.

the major backdoor with encryption is that the meatware on the other side needs to be able to read the message, so the message has to get decrypted.
                                Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                                1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                                -Ben Witherington III

Comment