Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California Requires Trump to Release Tax Returns for Spot on Primary Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    So it's a means of protecting yourself from a non-existent threat? I.e. Vampires aren't real, and Trump isn't actually a threat to the USA
    Awwww, we just got him talked into doing it and you go and spoil everything. We were going to see if we could get him to call for an inquisition by the conventions!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It might matter if there are other ballot items on there during the primary election.
      No problem. That area is covered. California permits ballot harvesting. (I haven't seen the detail of how this works. But it seems like the Dems use this to help people vote in California sponsored ballot measures.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
        People care because of potential conflicts of interest. Even if they didn't care, it would still matter, because of potential conflicts of interest. And because Trump is so desperately trying to hide his tax information.
        Tax returns aren't going to show anything like that. Especially not a personal tax return. What you want are Trump's financial disclosure statements which he has dutifully submitted every year as required by law since he announced his candidacy. They're also public record, so go take a look at them, if you really care that much.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

A decade ago, Kamala Harris accepted a $5000 donation from <drum roll> Donald Trump!

Does it matter? Only to the far out left. But ya gotta admit, it's FUNNY!!!!!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            A decade ago, Kamala Harris accepted a $5000 donation from <drum roll> Donald Trump!

Does it matter? Only to the far out left. But ya gotta admit, it's FUNNY!!!!!
            Trump has always considered political donations to be a business transaction and has donated generously to members of both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Trump has always considered political donations to be a business transaction and has donated generously to members of both parties.
              Yep - which was pretty obviously what he was doing here. And honestly, not worried about a decade old scandal that Harris doesn't seem to have been directly involved in. I just think it's funny she took money from a man she would later come to trash every chance she got.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Trump has pretty much said that the main reason he hasn't released his Tax returns is because the Democrats want them so badly. He figures they will eventually find a way to get them but until then he will keep not releasing them. I saw a clip of him saying basically that last week on TV but I can't find it online.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Trump has pretty much said that the main reason he hasn't released his Tax returns is because the Democrats want them so badly. He figures they will eventually find a way to get them but until then he will keep not releasing them. I saw a clip of him saying basically that last week on TV but I can't find it online.
                  Democrats seem so convinced that he's hiding something, but I really don't get why him simply being obnoxious about it is such a hard explanation to stomach. It seems obvious to me.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    Democrats seem so convinced that he's hiding something, but I really don't get why him simply being obnoxious about it is such a hard explanation to stomach. It seems obvious to me.
                    He knows that even though there is nothing there, they will find a way to twist something and call him a crook, fraud or racist.

Comment

He knows the longer he drags it out, and the more Democrats whoop and holler about it, the louder the "thud" it's going to make when we finally get a look at them and find nothing controversial whatsoever.

Comment

He knows the longer he drags it out, and the more Democrats whoop and holler about it, the louder the "thud" it's going to make when we finally get a look at them and find nothing controversial whatsoever.
                        They will find something, even if they have to squint really hard and make something up.

Comment

They will find something, even if they have to squint really hard and make something up.
                          We all know how well that worked for the Mueller report.

Comment

We all know how well that worked for the Mueller report.
                            If they mean to distract the American people and keep wasting time then it worked out great for them. They would do the same with his tax returns.

Comment

I think the biggest thing Trump's tax returns will show is that he is not quite as rich as he likes to claim he is.

(But that's not illegal)
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                                I think the biggest thing Trump's tax returns will show is that he is not quite as rich as he likes to claim he is.

(But that's not illegal)
                                And that he took every conceivable tax loophole in order to save as much money as possible (as do 90% of Americans[1]), which those involved in politics try to avoid at least the appearance of since it is bad optics.

1. Not an actual statistic but an indication of its universality.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment