Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

California Requires Trump to Release Tax Returns for Spot on Primary Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Requires Trump to Release Tax Returns for Spot on Primary Ballot

California Requires Trump to Release Tax Returns for Spot on Primary Ballot

The land of fruits and nuts is at it again...

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I still can't figure out why everybody is so hot and bothered about personal tax returns. As best as I can tell, the general public really doesn't care.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I still can't figure out why everybody is so hot and bothered about personal tax returns. As best as I can tell, the general public really doesn't care.
      And, having been prepared by lawyers and accountants, do they really tell the actual truth?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        People care because of potential conflicts of interest. Even if they didn't care, it would still matter, because of potential conflicts of interest. And because Trump is so desperately trying to hide his tax information.

Comment

Since Trump is most likely running unopposed, he could just skip California. Would there even be a primary if he is running unopposed?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Since Trump is most likely running unopposed, he could just skip California. Would there even be a primary if he is running unopposed?
            Trump not being on the ballot would still hurt down-ballot Republicans by depressing conservative voter turnout.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The next law change would then be, you have to have participated in and won the state primary in order to be on the list for the general election (or whatever you call it there)
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Trump not being on the ballot would still hurt down-ballot Republicans by depressing conservative voter turnout.
                It wouldn't matter in the primary. And they could still vote in the actual election. In fact, California not letting Trump on the ballot without his tax returns might make them mad enough to turn out in force on Election day. And he could still campaign there.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                  The next law change would then be, you have to have participated in and won the state primary in order to be on the list for the general election (or whatever you call it there)
                  From what I read this morning, the state legislature does not have that authority.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B. View Post
                    People care because of potential conflicts of interest. Even if they didn't care, it would still matter, because of potential conflicts of interest. And because Trump is so desperately trying to hide his tax information.
                    Congress is allowed to engage in insider trading, so what's new about politics and conflicts of interest?

Comment

It wouldn't matter in the primary. And they could still vote in the actual election. In fact, California not letting Trump on the ballot without his tax returns might make them mad enough to turn out in force on Election day. And he could still campaign there.
                      It might matter if there are other ballot items on there during the primary election.

Comment

Comment

So it's a means of protecting yourself from a non-existent threat? I.e. Vampires aren't real, and Trump isn't actually a threat to the USA
                          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            In the primary? Eh, yeah, I see your point - but I rather doubt California is going to win in the courts. California's law would have an national effect - which states don't get to do.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              Er, primaries decide the party's candidate - and this is already a requirement for major party candidates. I suppose a candidate could appear on the general election ballot (yep, that's what it's called) for a minor party or no party. It's so rare that I don't see how it matters - but I suspect it would not pass legal muster.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment