Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Death Of Plastic Bags...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    When you go grocery shopping, just buy a box of these, then open them in the line and tell the bagger to put your groceries in them.

It makes no sense. People tend to keep their small plastic grocery bags, but trash bags are meant to be tossed away as trash and the liberals are fine with selling them.
    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...verrated-67077

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I want some made out of plastic drinking straws for some extra irony.
      Will a basket do?

download (3).jpg
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

FYI: those 'reusable' bags get nasty in a hurry. They aren't really made for washing regularly - and I wouldn't put MY produce in one that wasn't brand new!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          FYI: those 'reusable' bags get nasty in a hurry. They aren't really made for washing regularly - and I wouldn't put MY produce in one that wasn't brand new!
          Maybe someone will come up with disposable plastic liners for them.

rogue? wanna go into business?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            OK, my state has passed a law where they will charge 10 cents to use/buy a plastic bag when shopping. Then in a year they will not be available at all. Neither will paper bags bags BTW. Now I'm conflicted - I have been using cloth reusable bags for a while now but I don't like being force to by law. It gets my back up...
            I'm cool with it. Wish they would pass something like this in my state. Yeah, it'd be annoying for a bit, but people adapt. Eliminating plastic waste from our environment will go a long way in helping our cities look less like we're living in dumps, and it's good for the environment and wildlife. I'm tired of driving down the road and seeing roads covered in filth. My church does a weekly volunteer cleanup effort for a few hours in different areas of town, and it stays nice for a couple days until is full of garbage again. People are slobs, and most people don't care about the environment. Sometimes you have to force people to be good stewards of their towns and cities in civil society.

Comment

In California the law was passed by the voters. Anybody complaining either voted against or didn't vote, in which case they voted for the law.

My biggest complaint though is our church used those bags for our food givaways. The donations of used bags have gone down because 1) bags are PAID for now, so people keep them, and 2) use of those HAVE gone down because people don't want to pay 10 cents per bag.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                I'm cool with it. Wish they would pass something like this in my state. Yeah, it'd be annoying for a bit, but people adapt. Eliminating plastic waste from our environment will go a long way in helping our cities look less like we're living in dumps, and it's good for the environment and wildlife. I'm tired of driving down the road and seeing roads covered in filth. My church does a weekly volunteer cleanup effort for a few hours in different areas of town, and it stays nice for a couple days until is full of garbage again. People are slobs, and most people don't care about the environment. Sometimes you have to force people to be good stewards of their towns and cities in civil society.
                The issue that we have here in our community (province wide, I believe, may be the case), is that about a year ago they told us that we are no longer able to recycle the plastic bags that we get in stores. So way more of them are ending up in the landfill than before.

I use single use bags for garbage under my sink. Don't know what will take the place of that except having to purchase bags for that use. Which is frustrating, because somebody is making money off of plastic when we could just use the ones we get from the stores.

It's another form of the common man having to pay for something that won't help the environment at all.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  In California the law was passed by the voters. Anybody complaining either voted against or didn't vote, in which case they voted for the law.

My biggest complaint though is our church used those bags for our food givaways. The donations of used bags have gone down because 1) bags are PAID for now, so people keep them, and 2) use of those HAVE gone down because people don't want to pay 10 cents per bag.
                  Small price to pay, in my opinion. I'm sure alternative methods can eventually be found for food giveaways. Unfortunately plastic is near eternal. Archaeologists looking into ancient dumps today are lucky to pull out scraps of pottery. Archaeologists a thousand years from now are going to be sitting on perfectly preserved garbage piles.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    The issue that we have here in our community (province wide, I believe, may be the case), is that about a year ago they told us that we are no longer able to recycle the plastic bags that we get in stores. So way more of them are ending up in the landfill than before.

I use single use bags for garbage under my sink. Don't know what will take the place of that except having to purchase bags for that use. Which is frustrating, because somebody is making money off of plastic when we could just use the ones we get from the stores.

It's another form of the common man having to pay for something that won't help the environment at all.
                    I must add that I have used reusable bags for years now for shopping. But I will take a plastic bag if the store is offering it so I can reuse it at home.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I must add that I have used reusable bags for years now for shopping. But I will take a plastic bag if the store is offering it so I can reuse it at home.
                      You are such a girl!
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I have a habit of grabbing 6-7 plastic bags at once when unloading my car and I thus tend to break them. Cloth bags save me from myself.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          You are such a girl!

Comment

Huh, I just passed city inmates doing road clean up here. Sure, you see the occasional item but our towns and roads aren't like that - both because most folks don't throw stuff out like that and because we have a lot of different clean up efforts.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Small price to pay, in my opinion. I'm sure alternative methods can eventually be found for food giveaways. Unfortunately plastic is near eternal. Archaeologists looking into ancient dumps today are lucky to pull out scraps of pottery. Archaeologists a thousand years from now are going to be sitting on perfectly preserved garbage piles.
                              You've never priced bags in bulk, have you? Bags that were free are now an additional cost.

Also, making happy archaeologists isn't exactly a bad thing...

I have no issue with switching to (better) biodegradable plastics (no, plastic isn't eternal - unless you bury it) but that still leaves the existing stuff. What I'd like to see are studies of what we can make out of this - will it work as filler in construction projects? Aid in drainage in place of gravel? If we're going to bury it anyway, why not bury it where we need filler? But that's hardly the only post use application - just one that doesn't require impractical levels of sorting.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I hate reusable bags - for shopping. I use them for other things - they are nifty totes - but they aren't easy to clean and they are a nuisance to the cashier. Besides, I use the 'disposable ones until they are well and truly used up. Great for instant gloves when you have to pick up something icky - or to stuff a wet paint brush in 'til after lunch (why waste a zip bag?) and dozens of other uses! Heck, I've even used them as outer gloves to protect my good gardening gloves while handling mud and muck.

We spent years looking for ways to reuse the things - now, as they are phased out, people will use other types of plastic for the same purposes - zip lock and trash bags being the most likely. If you end up with more trash bags and zip lock bags - both of which degrade much slower than grocery bags - how is this a win?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment