Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 704

Thread: Mass Shooting El Paso...

  1. #571
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Land of the Large Atmosphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,479
    Amen (Given)
    1394
    Amen (Received)
    3915
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    I think all of the insanely weird excuse making for why guns can't be gotten rid of is just absolutely, and comically ridiculous, especially when we've seen plenty of other first world nations doing so and doing so without much issue. As a realist, I know it will never happen, not because it's impossible to do so. Not because the Constitution can't be rewritten. Not because it will lead to some crazy hypothetical post-apocalyptic world where the US government will one day rise up and kill it's citizenry (but also the military will side with the citizenry making the point moot, but also even if the military didn't side with the citizenry, it's not powerful enough to outgun them), no, it's not because of any of those reasons. It's because American's are absolutely fanatical about their killing devices. They LOVE them. Some near worship them (I've literally seen what I can only describe as gun shrines). At best I can hope for tighter gun control laws, but I know my idea of an out and out gun ban is unrealistic. I'm just sick and tired of hearing of people dying, children dying, from what seems to me a completely preventable issue.
    The reason I haven't gotten involved in this discussion is posts like this. Basically, knowing that people I otherwise like and respect would effectively call me an insane gun worshipper when I disagree...deters me. Food for thought.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

  2. #572
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,831
    Amen (Given)
    117
    Amen (Received)
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    absolutely, and comically ridiculous...but I know my idea of an out and out gun ban is unrealistic.
    You think armed guards everywhere ridiculous, but going house to house to confiscate guns is not?

    I'm just sick and tired of hearing of people dying, children dying, from what seems to me a completely preventable issue.
    demi suggest go tackle drunk driving deaths. Kills lots more people, also more preventable.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

  3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
  4. #573
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,312
    Amen (Given)
    6785
    Amen (Received)
    6535
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    The reason I haven't gotten involved in this discussion is posts like this. Basically, knowing that people I otherwise like and respect would effectively call me an insane gun worshipper when I disagree...deters me. Food for thought.
    Zym, you've made this exact comment to me in other posts, and I honestly don't get it. I'm not calling you an insane gun worshiper. I'm not saying that anyone on TWeb is an insane gun worshiper. I'm saying that I know people like that. And that it is an extreme element of our overall gun culture. A gun culture that I think borders on being an unhealthy obsession for a lot of people.

  5. #574
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Land of the Large Atmosphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,479
    Amen (Given)
    1394
    Amen (Received)
    3915
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    Zym, you've made this exact comment to me in other posts, and I honestly don't get it. I'm not calling you an insane gun worshiper. I'm not saying that anyone on TWeb is an insane gun worshiper. I'm saying that I know people like that. And that it is an extreme element of our overall gun culture. A gun culture that I think borders on being an unhealthy obsession for a lot of people.
    You just come across to me as very dismissive on this topic, and it has deterred me from participating. To be fair, I have other reasons, too (my own poor debate skills come to mind, lack of stamina, etc.) You can do with it what you want.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

  6. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
  7. #575
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,641
    Amen (Given)
    11669
    Amen (Received)
    24898
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    demi suggest go tackle drunk driving deaths. Kills lots more people, also more preventable.
    I don't like these false dilemmas - drunk driving is being very aggressively addressed, and I don't know anybody who defends the 'right to drive drunk'.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  8. Amen Adrift, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
  9. #576
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,312
    Amen (Given)
    6785
    Amen (Received)
    6535
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm not addressing AT ALL whether guns could or could not be "gotten rid of".... I was simply responding to the whole "outgunned" concept.
    The "outgunned" side-derail is part of the whole "gotten rid of" discussion. America could outgun it's citizens without blinking an eye if it really went all sci-fi post-apocalyptic evil. It's really a hypothetical that doesn't need to be considered seriously, but seems to come up in every one of these discussions.

  10. #577
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,641
    Amen (Given)
    11669
    Amen (Received)
    24898
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    The "outgunned" side-derail is part of the whole "gotten rid of" discussion. America could outgun it's citizens without blinking an eye if it really went all sci-fi post-apocalyptic evil. It's really a hypothetical that doesn't need to be considered seriously, but seems to come up in every one of these discussions.
    I apologize. I thought I was having a civil and reasonable discussion with you.

    Exiting.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  11. #578
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,312
    Amen (Given)
    6785
    Amen (Received)
    6535
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    You just come across to me as very dismissive on this topic, and it has deterred me from participating. To be fair, I have other reasons, too (my own poor debate skills come to mind, lack of stamina, etc.) You can do with it what you want.
    If I'm dismissive it's because we've had this same discussion a half dozen times, and I think the excuses I get are, like, literally insane, and mostly not anything anyone actually takes seriously when they offer them.

  12. #579
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,831
    Amen (Given)
    117
    Amen (Received)
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't like these false dilemmas - drunk driving is being very aggressively addressed, and I don't know anybody who defends the 'right to drive drunk'.
    Is not false dilemma. He says want to prevent deaths, but then realistic, can't do much about guns.

    So if really really wants to stop deaths, demi suggests tackle other problems. Like he said, can't do much about guns.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

  13. #580
    tWebber Adrift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,312
    Amen (Given)
    6785
    Amen (Received)
    6535
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I apologize. I thought I was having a civil and reasonable discussion with you.

    Exiting.
    I...don't, huh? What did I say that made you think I wasn't being civil or reasonable?

  14. Amen KingsGambit, alaskazimm amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •