Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 704

Thread: Mass Shooting El Paso...

  1. #611
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,573
    Amen (Given)
    1091
    Amen (Received)
    18764
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, the other is being physically able to fight worth a darn - fit and able aren't the same thing. My 'strategy' would have been - once the fight was inescapable (not as stupid as I look!) - close, hang on and do as much damage as possible while being killed.

    Not really a fan of that strategy - it only works out well if the guy is a wimp and can't stand pain.

    Edit: How would you know? You always wake up the next day in the hospital wanting to know if CP still has your beer.


    ETA: Btw, you'd be surprised how much a certain level of ruthlessness can overcome even a more skilled opponent -- as long as they aren't as ruthless themselves of course.
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-12-2019 at 03:27 PM.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  3. #612
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,560
    Amen (Given)
    1453
    Amen (Received)
    1710
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post


    ETA: Btw, you'd be surprised how much a certain level of ruthlessness can overcome even a more skilled opponent -- as long as they aren't as ruthless themselves of course.
    I believe sun tzu's Art of War says that one should never force people into a corner because they will fight with a tenacity that puts everyone including themselves in danger.

    He also said that someone who could resolve conflict without fighting was a better soldier.

    Honestly, I believe that as spiderman said that great power comes with great responsibility

  4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  5. #613
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14,548
    Amen (Given)
    8409
    Amen (Received)
    5369
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post


    ETA: Btw, you'd be surprised how much a certain level of ruthlessness can overcome even a more skilled opponent -- as long as they aren't as ruthless themselves of course.
    No, I wouldn't - bullied severely in school, figured that out pretty quickly. Not hard when 'more skilled' describes almost everyone and you're an ornery little brat once angry. Lost most fights - but made almost all pay for the win.

    Doesn't help if they hit you from behind and keep running when you couldn't outrun a sleepy snail having a bad day.

  6. #614
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,487
    Amen (Given)
    11871
    Amen (Received)
    25279
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Fun Fact: One of the secrets of winning a knife fight against a skilled opponent is being willing to offer up the arm not holding the knife as "meat" meaning deliberately using it to take a hit.

    Yeah, I'm real fun at parties
    One of the less well kept secrets is to bring a gun to the knife fight, and don't allow them to get any closer than 6 or 7 meters.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  7. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd, Sparko amen'd this post.
  8. #615
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,487
    Amen (Given)
    11871
    Amen (Received)
    25279
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    I believe sun tzu's Art of War says that one should never force people into a corner because they will fight with a tenacity that puts everyone including themselves in danger.

    He also said that someone who could resolve conflict without fighting was a better soldier.

    Honestly, I believe that as spiderman said that great power comes with great responsibility
    And always leave your opponent a golden path of retreat?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  9. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  10. #616
    tWebber TheWall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,560
    Amen (Given)
    1453
    Amen (Received)
    1710
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And always leave your opponent a golden path of retreat?
    If I remember right, yes.

  11. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  12. #617
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,329
    Amen (Given)
    2478
    Amen (Received)
    1794
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post

    But then I'm hardly surprised that you'd flunk out and be incapable of showing why it was an invalid comparison as you asserted without a scintilla of evidence to support your claim -- and continue to do so.
    It was an invalid comparison in that you that you compare a book title containing the word “struggle” vis-a-vis Hitler, with the endless repetition of Trump’s “invasion talk" at rallies and on Twitter and in numerous Facebook ads.

    This coming from someone whose only connection between Trump and the El Paso shooter is that they both had one word in common.
    However this “one word in common”, i.e. “invasion” was with reference to Hispanics “invading” the USA. The shooter made clear in his manifesto that his primary "motivating factor" was his white supremacist fear, as reinforced by Donald Trump, of invasion and replacement by brown people. According to Facebook political advertising data analyzed by USA TODAY, Trump’s campaign funded the publication of more than 2,000 political ads like this:

    “We have an INVASION! So, we are BUILDING THE WALL to STOP IT. Dems will sue us. But we want a SAFE COUNTRY! It’s CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION.”

    "TRUMP used words like 'invasion,' 'criminal,' 'animal' over 500 times at rallies since 2017":

    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-used-...report-1453409

    These are the oft repeated sentiments of Trump and they were echoed by the El Paso shooter in his manifesto. This was the shooters primary concern, NOT your manufactured attempts to blame the environmentalist policies of Warren and Sanders.

    So, you are incapable of refuting the fact that many of the illegal immigrants are behaving like invaders.
    The behavior of some could perhaps be seen that way. Some, certainly not the majority. Does this justify the shooter’s actions? If not why mention it with the insinuation that an actual, real Hispanic invasion was occurring?
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  13. #618
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,573
    Amen (Given)
    1091
    Amen (Received)
    18764
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    One of the less well kept secrets is to bring a gun to the knife fight, and don't allow them to get any closer than 6 or 7 meters.
    The key, as you noted, is distance. The biggest advantage of a firearm is that it can, as the phone company used to say, reach out and touch someone. I've never understood why anyone would ever move in close to someone when they have a gun unless they really, really had to, such as a police officer making an arrest -- and then only after the person is lying face down.

    That said, I've seen a couple demonstrations (including one on TV) that show that in close quarters a person with a knife can actually take out multiple opponents faster than a person with a gun. Obviously this is especially true if the gun still has the safety on and/or didn't have a round already chambered.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  14. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
  15. #619
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,573
    Amen (Given)
    1091
    Amen (Received)
    18764
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    It was an invalid comparison in that you that you compare a book title containing the word “struggle” vis-a-vis Hitler, with the endless repetition of Trump’s “invasion talk" at rallies and on Twitter and in numerous Facebook ads.
    Your argument relies on how often it was used which is hardly a valid criteria. In any case, "struggle" was used by Darwin multiple times in his works. And the fact that the book was a mega international best seller gave it an awful lot of exposure.

    Try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    However this “one word in common”, i.e. “invasion” was with reference to Hispanics “invading” the USA. The shooter made clear in his manifesto that his primary "motivating factor" was his white supremacist fear, as reinforced by Donald Trump, of invasion and replacement by brown people.
    Once again, wrong.

    His primary reason was his eco-fascist belief that we need to eliminate what he thought were surplus humans, something as I noted that has been reinforced time and time again by numerous radical environmentalists. And those are the sort of folks he was influenced by and would listen to (again look at who he cites as his influences in his manifesto) -- not someone who he disagrees with politically about virtually everything.

    It was his racism (something that more than once goes arm in arm with a belief that we need to "cull the [human] herd") that caused him to decide it was Hispanics that would be his primary target for his actions.

    And yet again it needs to be noted that the TDS crowd is deliberately lying about what Trump said. He never said that Hispanic immigrants are invaders. He said that those trying to enter the country illegally are invaders. You guys repeatedly feel the need to conflate legal immigrants with illegal aliens in order to support your TDS.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    According to Facebook political advertising data analyzed by USA TODAY, Trump’s campaign funded the publication of more than 2,000 political ads like this:

    “We have an INVASION! So, we are BUILDING THE WALL to STOP IT. Dems will sue us. But we want a SAFE COUNTRY! It’s CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION.”

    "TRUMP used words like 'invasion,' 'criminal,' 'animal' over 500 times at rallies since 2017":

    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-used-...report-1453409
    smiley yawn.gif

    See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    These are the oft repeated sentiments of Trump and they were echoed by the El Paso shooter in his manifesto. This was the shooters primary concern, NOT your manufactured attempts to blame the environmentalist policies of Warren and Sanders.
    Yup, they both share the use of a single word -- just like Darwin and Hitler did therefore using that logic Hitler was profoundly influenced by Darwin smiley dolt.gif

    And it was the Dayton shooter (you know, the one that the MSM tries is grimly trying to ignore for obvious reasons) that was a fanboi of Warren and Sanders.
    Last edited by rogue06; 08-12-2019 at 11:45 PM.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  16. #620
    Child of the One True King Raphael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Middle Earth, New Zealand
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,281
    Amen (Given)
    2800
    Amen (Received)
    3097
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    That said, I've seen a couple demonstrations (including one on TV) that show that in close quarters a person with a knife can actually take out multiple opponents faster than a person with a gun. Obviously this is especially true if the gun still has the safety on and/or didn't have a round already chambered.
    The difference there is then one of training. A trained knife fighter can be deadlier than a gunman. but it's easier for an untrained gunman to be deadly.
    TheologyWeb Needs YOU! - Please Help Us Upgrade Tweb! Click here for more info


    "If you can ever make any major religion look absolutely ludicrous, chances are you haven't understood it"
    -Ravi Zacharias, The New Age: A foreign bird with a local walk

    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

    "...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

  17. Amen Cow Poke, Teallaura, DesertBerean amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •