Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And always leave your opponent a golden path of retreat?
    If I remember right, yes.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

But then I'm hardly surprised that you'd flunk out and be incapable of showing why it was an invalid comparison as you asserted without a scintilla of evidence to support your claim -- and continue to do so.
      It was an invalid comparison in that you that you compare a book title containing the word “struggle” vis-a-vis Hitler, with the endless repetition of Trump’s “invasion talk" at rallies and on Twitter and in numerous Facebook ads.

This coming from someone whose only connection between Trump and the El Paso shooter is that they both had one word in common.
      However this “one word in common”, i.e. “invasion” was with reference to Hispanics “invading” the USA. The shooter made clear in his manifesto that his primary "motivating factor" was his white supremacist fear, as reinforced by Donald Trump, of invasion and replacement by brown people. According to Facebook political advertising data analyzed by USA TODAY, Trump’s campaign funded the publication of more than 2,000 political ads like this:

“We have an INVASION! So, we are BUILDING THE WALL to STOP IT. Dems will sue us. But we want a SAFE COUNTRY! It’s CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION.”

"TRUMP used words like 'invasion,' 'criminal,' 'animal' over 500 times at rallies since 2017":

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-used-...report-1453409

These are the oft repeated sentiments of Trump and they were echoed by the El Paso shooter in his manifesto. This was the shooters primary concern, NOT your manufactured attempts to blame the environmentalist policies of Warren and Sanders.

So, you are incapable of refuting the fact that many of the illegal immigrants are behaving like invaders.
      The behavior of some could perhaps be seen that way. Some, certainly not the majority. Does this justify the shooter’s actions? If not why mention it with the insinuation that an actual, real Hispanic invasion was occurring?
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

One of the less well kept secrets is to bring a gun to the knife fight, and don't allow them to get any closer than 6 or 7 meters.
        The key, as you noted, is distance. The biggest advantage of a firearm is that it can, as the phone company used to say, reach out and touch someone. I've never understood why anyone would ever move in close to someone when they have a gun unless they really, really had to, such as a police officer making an arrest -- and then only after the person is lying face down.

That said, I've seen a couple demonstrations (including one on TV) that show that in close quarters a person with a knife can actually take out multiple opponents faster than a person with a gun. Obviously this is especially true if the gun still has the safety on and/or didn't have a round already chambered.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          It was an invalid comparison in that you that you compare a book title containing the word “struggle” vis-a-vis Hitler, with the endless repetition of Trump’s “invasion talk" at rallies and on Twitter and in numerous Facebook ads.
          Your argument relies on how often it was used which is hardly a valid criteria. In any case, "struggle" was used by Darwin multiple times in his works. And the fact that the book was a mega international best seller gave it an awful lot of exposure.

Try again.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          However this “one word in common”, i.e. “invasion” was with reference to Hispanics “invading” the USA. The shooter made clear in his manifesto that his primary "motivating factor" was his white supremacist fear, as reinforced by Donald Trump, of invasion and replacement by brown people.
          Once again, wrong.

His primary reason was his eco-fascist belief that we need to eliminate what he thought were surplus humans, something as I noted that has been reinforced time and time again by numerous radical environmentalists. And those are the sort of folks he was influenced by and would listen to (again look at who he cites as his influences in his manifesto) -- not someone who he disagrees with politically about virtually everything.

It was his racism (something that more than once goes arm in arm with a belief that we need to "cull the [human] herd") that caused him to decide it was Hispanics that would be his primary target for his actions.

And yet again it needs to be noted that the TDS crowd is deliberately lying about what Trump said. He never said that Hispanic immigrants are invaders. He said that those trying to enter the country illegally are invaders. You guys repeatedly feel the need to conflate legal immigrants with illegal aliens in order to support your TDS.

According to Facebook political advertising data analyzed by USA TODAY, Trump’s campaign funded the publication of more than 2,000 political ads like this:

“We have an INVASION! So, we are BUILDING THE WALL to STOP IT. Dems will sue us. But we want a SAFE COUNTRY! It’s CRITICAL that we STOP THE INVASION.”

"TRUMP used words like 'invasion,' 'criminal,' 'animal' over 500 times at rallies since 2017":

smiley yawn.gif

See above.

These are the oft repeated sentiments of Trump and they were echoed by the El Paso shooter in his manifesto. This was the shooters primary concern, NOT your manufactured attempts to blame the environmentalist policies of Warren and Sanders.
          Yup, they both share the use of a single word -- just like Darwin and Hitler did therefore using that logic Hitler was profoundly influenced by Darwin smiley dolt.gif

And it was the Dayton shooter (you know, the one that the MSM tries is grimly trying to ignore for obvious reasons) that was a fanboi of Warren and Sanders.
          Last edited by rogue06; 08-13-2019, 01:45 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That said, I've seen a couple demonstrations (including one on TV) that show that in close quarters a person with a knife can actually take out multiple opponents faster than a person with a gun. Obviously this is especially true if the gun still has the safety on and/or didn't have a round already chambered.
            The difference there is then one of training. A trained knife fighter can be deadlier than a gunman. but it's easier for an untrained gunman to be deadly.
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Your argument relies on how often it was used which is hardly a valid criteria. In any case, "struggle" was used by Darwin multiple times in his works. And the fact that the book was a mega international best seller gave it an awful lot of exposure.

Try again.

Once again, wrong.

His primary reason was his eco-fascist belief that we need to eliminate what he thought were surplus humans, something as I noted that has been reinforced time and time again by numerous radical environmentalists. And those are the sort of folks he was influenced by and would listen to (again look at who he cites as his influences in his manifesto) -- not someone who he disagrees with politically about virtually everything.

It was his racism (something that more than once goes arm in arm with a belief that we need to "cull the [human] herd") that caused him to decide it was Hispanics that would be his primary target for his actions.

And yet again it needs to be noted that the TDS crowd is deliberately lying about what Trump said. He never said that Hispanic immigrants are invaders. He said that those trying to enter the country illegally are invaders. You guys repeatedly feel the need to conflate legal immigrants with illegal aliens in order to support your TDS.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39000[/ATTACH]

See above.

Yup, they both share the use of a single word -- just like Darwin and Hitler did therefore using that logic Hitler was profoundly influenced by Darwin [ATTACH=CONFIG]39001[/ATTACH]

And it was the Dayton shooter (you know, the one that the MSM tries is grimly trying to ignore for obvious reasons) that was a fanboi of Warren and Sanders.
              I should also note that the El Paso shooter made a point to distance himself from Trump in his manifesto (no surprise considering his far left political views) by emphasizing that he was like this long before Trump and thus diminishing any potential role Trump could possibly have played.

Comment

Your argument relies on how often it was used which is hardly a valid criteria.
                It is a “valid criterion” if the deliberate, constant and calculated repetition is of a meme such as “invasion” to a receptive audience. It WAS to a receptive audience and the meme was a key part of Trump's platform targeting his base. Trump used words like 'invasion' and 'killer' to discuss immigrants at rallies 500 times: USA TODAY analysis

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...gs/1936742001/

Books, BTW, don’t have the same impact.

Once again, wrong.

His primary reason was his eco-fascist belief that we need to eliminate what he thought were surplus humans,
                No. In his manifesto, the El Paso shooter states that he was primarily inspired by Tarrant's manifesto to target the Hispanic community. Like Tarrant, he views immigration as an "invasion," and an attempt to replace the white race. He states: "This attack is a response to the Hispanic invasion of Texas…”

Brenton Tarrant Manifesto: The ‘Great Replacement’ Rant

https://heavy.com/news/2019/03/brent...ant-manifesto/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...-paso-shooter/
                Last edited by Tassman; 08-13-2019, 04:47 AM.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

However this “one word in common”, i.e. “invasion” was with reference to Hispanics “invading” the USA. The shooter made clear in his manifesto that his primary "motivating factor" was his white supremacist fear, as reinforced by Donald Trump, of invasion and replacement by brown people. According to Facebook political advertising data analyzed by USA TODAY, Trump’s campaign funded the publication of more than 2,000 political ads like this:

The behavior of some could perhaps be seen that way. Some, certainly not the majority. Does this justify the shooter’s actions? If not why mention it with the insinuation that an actual, real Hispanic invasion was occurring?
                  Tassy peddling the conspiracy theory. Nothing more, nothing less.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The Tassman debate strategy...

debating.jpg

Comment

The key, as you noted, is distance. The biggest advantage of a firearm is that it can, as the phone company used to say, reach out and touch someone. I've never understood why anyone would ever move in close to someone when they have a gun unless they really, really had to, such as a police officer making an arrest -- and then only after the person is lying face down.

Yup - and since you mentioned distance --- it's always fun to watch somebody on TV holding somebody at gunpoint, and while arguing back and forth, the armed person moves closer and closer to the other person, holding the gun out in front of themselves, and you KNOW where that's gonna go.....
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                        The difference there is then one of training. A trained knife fighter can be deadlier than a gunman. but it's easier for an untrained gunman to be deadly.
                        But a trained gunman can just shoot the knife out of the other guys hand!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is a “valid criterion” if ...
                          When Tassman opens a post with words like these, make sure you have your boots on, cause it's gonna get deep.

Comment

When Tassman opens a post with words like these, make sure you have your boots on, cause it's gonna get deep.
                            Boots rarely cut it. You need full on chest high waders

Comment

Yup - and since you mentioned distance --- it's always fun to watch somebody on TV holding somebody at gunpoint, and while arguing back and forth, the armed person moves closer and closer to the other person, holding the gun out in front of themselves, and you KNOW where that's gonna go.....
                              Yoink!

Wait... how successful would that be in real life? I have heard people sometimes do get their gun taken and used on them. Which is why one should not have a gun for self defense if you aren't fully committed to using the thing!

Next question, why am I okay with the idea of clobbering a hostile target with a heavy object in self defense, but not anything that would leave a puddle of blood?
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                Yoink!

Wait... how successful would that be in real life? I have heard people sometimes do get their gun taken and used on them. Which is why one should not have a gun for self defense if you aren't fully committed to using the thing!

Next question, why am I okay with the idea of clobbering a hostile target with a heavy object in self defense, but not anything that would leave a puddle of blood?
                                Yeah. Never, ever point a gun at someone unless you are 100% willing to use it.

Comment