Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    I think all of the insanely weird excuse making for why guns can't be gotten rid of is just absolutely, and comically ridiculous, especially when we've seen plenty of other first world nations doing so and doing so without much issue. As a realist, I know it will never happen, not because it's impossible to do so. Not because the Constitution can't be rewritten. Not because it will lead to some crazy hypothetical post-apocalyptic world where the US government will one day rise up and kill it's citizenry (but also the military will side with the citizenry making the point moot, but also even if the military didn't side with the citizenry, it's not powerful enough to outgun them), no, it's not because of any of those reasons. It's because American's are absolutely fanatical about their killing devices. They LOVE them. Some near worship them (I've literally seen what I can only describe as gun shrines). At best I can hope for tighter gun control laws, but I know my idea of an out and out gun ban is unrealistic. I'm just sick and tired of hearing of people dying, children dying, from what seems to me a completely preventable issue.
    The reason I haven't gotten involved in this discussion is posts like this. Basically, knowing that people I otherwise like and respect would effectively call me an insane gun worshipper when I disagree...deters me. Food for thought.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

absolutely, and comically ridiculous...but I know my idea of an out and out gun ban is unrealistic.
      You think armed guards everywhere ridiculous, but going house to house to confiscate guns is not?

I'm just sick and tired of hearing of people dying, children dying, from what seems to me a completely preventable issue.
      demi suggest go tackle drunk driving deaths. Kills lots more people, also more preventable.
      Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        The reason I haven't gotten involved in this discussion is posts like this. Basically, knowing that people I otherwise like and respect would effectively call me an insane gun worshipper when I disagree...deters me. Food for thought.
        Zym, you've made this exact comment to me in other posts, and I honestly don't get it. I'm not calling you an insane gun worshiper. I'm not saying that anyone on TWeb is an insane gun worshiper. I'm saying that I know people like that. And that it is an extreme element of our overall gun culture. A gun culture that I think borders on being an unhealthy obsession for a lot of people.

Comment

Zym, you've made this exact comment to me in other posts, and I honestly don't get it. I'm not calling you an insane gun worshiper. I'm not saying that anyone on TWeb is an insane gun worshiper. I'm saying that I know people like that. And that it is an extreme element of our overall gun culture. A gun culture that I think borders on being an unhealthy obsession for a lot of people.
          You just come across to me as very dismissive on this topic, and it has deterred me from participating. To be fair, I have other reasons, too (my own poor debate skills come to mind, lack of stamina, etc.) You can do with it what you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
            demi suggest go tackle drunk driving deaths. Kills lots more people, also more preventable.
            I don't like these false dilemmas - drunk driving is being very aggressively addressed, and I don't know anybody who defends the 'right to drive drunk'.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I'm not addressing AT ALL whether guns could or could not be "gotten rid of".... I was simply responding to the whole "outgunned" concept.
              The "outgunned" side-derail is part of the whole "gotten rid of" discussion. America could outgun it's citizens without blinking an eye if it really went all sci-fi post-apocalyptic evil. It's really a hypothetical that doesn't need to be considered seriously, but seems to come up in every one of these discussions.

Comment

The "outgunned" side-derail is part of the whole "gotten rid of" discussion. America could outgun it's citizens without blinking an eye if it really went all sci-fi post-apocalyptic evil. It's really a hypothetical that doesn't need to be considered seriously, but seems to come up in every one of these discussions.
                I apologize. I thought I was having a civil and reasonable discussion with you.

Exiting.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You just come across to me as very dismissive on this topic, and it has deterred me from participating. To be fair, I have other reasons, too (my own poor debate skills come to mind, lack of stamina, etc.) You can do with it what you want.
                  If I'm dismissive it's because we've had this same discussion a half dozen times, and I think the excuses I get are, like, literally insane, and mostly not anything anyone actually takes seriously when they offer them.

Comment

I don't like these false dilemmas - drunk driving is being very aggressively addressed, and I don't know anybody who defends the 'right to drive drunk'.
                    Is not false dilemma. He says want to prevent deaths, but then realistic, can't do much about guns.

So if really really wants to stop deaths, demi suggests tackle other problems. Like he said, can't do much about guns.
                    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I apologize. I thought I was having a civil and reasonable discussion with you.

Exiting.
                      I...don't, huh? What did I say that made you think I wasn't being civil or reasonable?

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                        Is not false dilemma. He says want to prevent deaths, but then realistic, can't do much about guns.

So if really really wants to stop deaths, demi suggests tackle other problems. Like he said, can't do much about guns.
                        It's not the same. Not even close. There is no national agency lobbying to defend the right to drive drunk. There is no "national mood" that defends the right to drive drunk.

You're comparing apples and hand grenades.

Comment

If I'm dismissive it's because we've had this same discussion a half dozen times, and I think the excuses I get are, like, literally insane, and mostly not anything anyone actually takes seriously when they offer them.
                          Yeah, I know I've brought this up before. I'll try to remember your response here, and not bring it up again.

I should correct my post #571, where instead of saying "The reason" I should have said "one of the reasons."

Comment

Yeah, I know I've brought this up before. I'll try to remember your response here, and not bring it up again.

I should correct my post #571, where instead of saying "The reason" I should have said "one of the reasons."
                            By "we've" I wasn't referring to "you and I," I'm referring to the forum at large.

Comment

• I honestly don't understand some of the emotional reactions to Adrift's posts. I don't think it should be controversial that some parts of American gun culture really are scary. I had one gun activist co-worker who liked to go around saying that he would target/steal from liberals if society collapsed because they wouldn't have guns, and he would specify that he would target me... and he obsessively talked about all the guns and ammo he would buy. And the NRA has a member of their board of directors who said that liberals should be shot "like coyotes" (the NRA seemed to have no problem with his statement as they never disavowed it). This doesn't mean that everybody here is part of that or should be feared. I will admit, though, that based on experiences such as with this particular co-worker of mine, that I do not feel comfortable around people who hoard guns like he did.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                I honestly don't understand some of the emotional reactions to Adrift's posts....
                                Is this about me?

Comment