Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are fighting back.
    In El Paso, Texas, some protesters carried signs saying "racist, go home".
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      People are fighting back.
      As if the same folks wouldn't be out protesting his visit any other time about something else. Moreover they probably would have complained that he didn't come.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        We should focus on the victims. And those who lost their lives protecting their babies.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/08...her-shielding/

There are children who will have to grow up without their parents. Real lives were taken. Real people with family and friends that mourn the loss caused by the evil act of an evil scumbag.
        Focusing on the issue, the politics of gun laws, or lack thereof, and white nationalist killers, is focusing on the victims and possible future victims. I'm sure if the dead could speak, they would say as much. Empty words of sorrow are meaningless. Stop defending nutcases and the right to possess military style weapons instead of saying how sorry you are after they murder so many innocent people.

Comment

In El Paso, Texas, some protesters carried signs saying "racist, go home".
          Wow. That's absolutely BRILLIANT! I bet the moving trucks are backing up to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue as we speak!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Focusing on the issue, the politics of gun laws,...
            That's EXACTLY what this is.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              As if the same folks wouldn't be out protesting his visit any other time about something else. Moreover they probably would have complained that he didn't come.
              You may have grossly underestimated the effect of Trump’s inflammatory tweets.
              I think this is a critical point for the US. My advice is to defeat Trump and the GOP decisively in the next election or fall into a profound tyranny from which there may be no escape. The ballot box might be so stuffed, next time, that it will leave you in a permanent one party state. He has proved his credentials.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• In the meantime, how do we do something about the root of the problem? Or is that a job for the Holy Spirit?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Focusing on the issue, the politics of gun laws, or lack thereof, and white nationalist killers, is focusing on the victims and possible future victims. I'm sure if the dead could speak, they would say as much. Empty words of sorrow are meaningless. Stop defending nutcases and the right to possess military style weapons instead of saying how sorry you are after they murder so many innocent people.
                  #empathyisbad
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

You may have grossly underestimated the effect of Trump’s inflammatory tweets.
                    I think this is a critical point for the US. My advice is to defeat Trump and the GOP decisively in the next election or fall into a profound tyranny from which there may be no escape. The ballot box might be so stuffed, next time, that it will leave you in a permanent one party state. He has proved his credentials.
                    Nothing personal but wrt whatever you advice, it would be the smart bet to do pretty much the opposite.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Murderous scumbags will use anything to kill people. If you take their gun, they may use a knife, vehicle, poison, blunt weapons, etc.
                      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                        4 dead, 2 wounded in Southern California stabbings

https://apnews.com/5e44f7bd106f4fce8da21c2c11f334fc
                        FYI: only idiots don't recognize that guns are significantly greater force multipliers than knives. This line of argumentation only convinces the choir.

I'm pro-gun control - but there are so many idiots arguing for so many insanely unworkable plans that I rarely bother arguing it. There are a few things I think we could improve but I'm not going to waste time arguing against my side that wants abolition and the other side that keeps throwing strawmen into the shredder.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          Murderous scumbags will use anything to kill people. If you take their gun, they may use a knife, vehicle, poison, blunt weapons, etc.
                          And how, exactly, is this a rational reason to allow people to own fully automatic weapons? This broad and rather silly brush would, if we accept it, argue against any and all gun control - so you have just put forth an argument for letting the known mentally unstable and violent felons buy guns with no restrictions whatsoever.

Seriously, 90% of the folks here actually ARE pro-gun control - the argument should be on the specifics of how to do that fairly. But no, we argue about stupid crap like whether or not guns are force multipliers.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            FYI: only idiots don't recognize that guns are significantly greater force multipliers than knives. This line of argumentation only convinces the choir.

I'm pro-gun control - but there are so many idiots arguing for so many insanely unworkable plans that I rarely bother arguing it. There are a few things I think we could improve but I'm not going to waste time arguing against my side that wants abolition and the other side that keeps throwing strawmen into the shredder.
                            As an aside, London, which has a murder rate higher than New York City's, has now enacted Knife Control (the weapon of choice) to try to stem the homicides.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              And how, exactly, is this a rational reason to allow people to own fully automatic weapons?
                              Weren't you just complaining of straw man arguments?

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                                Fighting back against what? A compassionate visit from the leader of our country? Yeah, let's protest against that.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment