Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullets are too hard to dodge, but I was thinking how to prevent all mass murders. Couldn't a bad guy steal a gun? Of course, not everyone should have a gun. I just don't like every mass shooting turning into a gun control argument.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That.

If the laws already in place aren't being enforced then what good is passing new laws if they aren't going to be enforced either?
      Two points:

1) The only law liberals want to enforce is one that overturns the Second Amendment.

2) Those Democrat cities where strict gun laws are enforced are among the deadliest cities in America.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• There's also the fact that the overwhelming majority of gun owners never use their guns to commit a crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Two points:

1) The only law liberals want to enforce is one that overturns the Second Amendment.

2) Those Democrat cities where strict gun laws are enforced are among the deadliest cities in America.
          After examining this issue for many years now I am reluctantly starting to think that the lack of enforcement is deliberate. That way those who really do want confiscation can claim that they tried everything else and the only alternative left is to outlaw the possession of any and all firearms.

Then the whole country can be like Chicago. Yea.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Bullets are too hard to dodge, but I was thinking how to prevent all mass murders. Couldn't a bad guy steal a gun? Of course, not everyone should have a gun. I just don't like every mass shooting turning into a gun control argument.
            It's hard to steal something that no one around you has - so if you're in Japan, probably not. In the US, sure - but then there's also a chance he gets caught in the act and that ends his rampage before it can begin.

Honestly, it's not a gun control argument - that's just the guise given to the 'give us more power' argument actually being pushed. Postmodernism - yay!

Not.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• There have been enough mass killings without guns that the point is largely moot.

Comment

• And, according to the article Mass Shootings in Gun-Free Zones, these shooters are particularly interested in gun-free zones...

According to ABC News, El Paso law enforcement officials advise that, moments before his killing rampage, the shooter cased the Walmart “looking for Mexicans.” While that may be so, it is nevertheless true that, consistent with his “manifesto,” his recon was also calculated to make sure that he would be attacking in a low-security area. In that regard, the Walmart store had no armed security guard, no police presence, and was located in a shopping mall that was a self-proclaimed “gun-free zone.”

Similarly, in the Dayton, Ohio, mass shooting on Sunday, which immediately followed the El Paso murders, the victims were attacked as they exited a nightspot that was a gun-free zone. And, in the Garlic Festival shootings in Gilroy, California last week, the victims were trapped inside a fenced area after going through metal detectors to make sure that they were disarmed. The shooter avoided the metal detectors by cutting through the fence and then attacking a victim pool that the Gilroy authorities had rendered incapable of defending themselves.

So it is that these most recent massacres share the one common element of almost all mass casualty shootings: gun-free zones.

According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, between 1950 and 2018 97.8 percent of all mass public shootings occurred in gun-free zones. Similarly, in the 20 states that allow teachers to be armed, there have been no school shootings (as well as no accidents or injuries caused by firearms possessed by teachers).
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I guess every human needs to be institutionalized. But who would take care of us?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    After examining this issue for many years now I am reluctantly starting to think that the lack of enforcement is deliberate. That way those who really do want confiscation can claim that they tried everything else and the only alternative left is to outlaw the possession of any and all firearms.

Then the whole country can be like Chicago. Yea.
                    You are JUST NOW figuring that out?

That explains why you are pursuing the 'but enforce the ones we got' reasoning. It is a bad position to argue from - it let's the other side control the argument.

A better position is 'the laws were in effect and it didn't matter'.

But best of all is 'no, it's unconstitutional. Pass an amendment if you wanna change it.'. Make them take the fight to the states and the power grab loses. As long as you keep arguing from an assumption that the laws are effective if enforced, you are going to lose the war.

Once the crazies leave the field, then we can talk about sensible - and fair - gun control.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I guess every human needs to be institutionalized. But who would take care of us?
                      I think we're already running the asylum - would you like Jello for dessert?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I think we're already running the asylum - would you like Jello for dessert?
                        Oooh. Do you have any lime flavored? And if I promise to be good can I please have a spoon as well?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I want to liv in the New Jerusalem!

Comment

Murderous scumbags will use anything to kill people. If you take their gun, they may use a knife, vehicle, poison, blunt weapons, etc.
                            They can't knife to death 26 people within less than a minute. Stop with the excuses, it only shows your true lack of empathy or concern.

Comment

• If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• A man showed up at a Wal-Mart in Missouri today with two guns, a bulletproof vest, and 100 rounds of ammo, and was recording himself walking around the store making comments to customers. The store was evacuated, and an off duty firefighter held him at gunpoint until police could arrive to assess the situation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ay/1961573001/

What was this guy thinking? Was he LARPing like those people who went around to businesses open carrying in groups just to prove they could (and all that achieved was getting several store/restaurant chains to ban concealed carry on premises)? Considering it was a Wal-Mart where the massacre the occurred just days prior, doing this seems downright cruel.
                                Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-08-2019, 10:34 PM.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment