Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting El Paso...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why is the contents of the manifesto being publicized? That's providing the shooter with exactly what he wanted to gain from committing the crime. I mean, I get that it's "out there", but there's no reason any reporter or blogger should be telling anybody what's in it.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Why is the contents of the manifesto being publicized? That's providing the shooter with exactly what he wanted to gain from committing the crime. I mean, I get that it's "out there", but there's no reason any reporter or blogger should be telling anybody what's in it.
    Why not? it goes to his motivation and people want to know why he did it.

3. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Why not? it goes to his motivation and people want to know why he did it.
    The very reason he did it is so he could get a platform for his views. Giving him that tells people that if they want to get a message out to the entire nation, they can shoot and leave a manifesto.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The very reason he did it is so he could get a platform for his views. Giving him that tells people that if they want to get a message out to the entire nation, they can shoot and leave a manifesto.
    I would rather they never mentioned his name at all, but they did, and various people are already blaming Trump for his actions. But his manifesto contradicts that lie, so I think it is important that the information is available.

6. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I would rather they never mentioned his name at all, but they did, and various people are already blaming Trump for his actions. But his manifesto contradicts that lie, so I think it is important that the information is available.
    Information from the manifesto is being weaponized by both sides, so I don't know how useful the information is in light of that, really.

Meanwhile, I just read that the Dayton shooter was liking posts on social media about the earlier Texas shooting: https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/us/co...1CwNRzGVTWkjuY This guy had a long obsession with mass shootings going back a long time. It's hard not to think about all the media attention shooters get in light of that.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Really - so if it helps protect Trump it's ok to 'take the risk' some other similar ideologue will take up arms for the cause?

Jim
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

9. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The manifesto was already published online by the shooter. I mean, you are aware this is the age of the internet?
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

11. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Really - so if it helps protect Trump it's ok to 'take the risk' some other similar ideologue will take up arms for the cause?

Jim
    I see truth really doesn't matter to you as long as the lie makes Trump look worse...

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

13. Amen Teallaura, NorrinRadd, One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Right. I was referring to cultural and racial homogeny. Japan would perhaps be a better example of a basically homogenous culture and race that currently has a low instance of violence. Armenia would be an example of a fairly racially homogenous nation with a violence problem.

My point is that the US has a large and conflicted population that is divided along several cultural and racial lines. That's where I think the US is unique. And that is where most of our problems of violence stem.
    The U.S. doesn't have a large and conflicted population, it has a large and diverse population within the which there is much racism. What you are recognizing is racism, which is connected with tribalism, which is a thing to overcome, not to foster.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    I see truth really doesn't matter to you as long as the lie makes Trump look worse...
    I don't think that's a charitable interpretation of the post. My original claim is that publicizing the manifesto makes future shootings more likely, and Sparko's point was that the manifesto was used to defend Trump against attacks. I think the argument that preventing more shootings outweighs having it available to defend Trump is a reasonable one.