Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, I posted that last page.

I don't think he intended to be a mass shooter because he just walked around calling attention to himself instead.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Former firefighter stops man armed with 100 rounds of ammunition at south Springfield Walmart

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. The Springfield Police Department says it responded to a call of an active shooter at the Walmart Neighborhood Market at Republic Rd., near Golden Ave., Thursday evening.

The Springfield Police Department arrived on scene within three minutes of the call. Police stated that a young white male, appearing to be in his twenties, pulled up to the Walmart, where he donned body armor and military fatigues. Police say the man had tactical weapons.

Police then say the man walked into the Walmart: Neighborhood Market where he grabbed a cart and began pushing it around the store. Police say the man was recording himself walking through the store via a cell phone.

The store manager at the Neighborhood Market pulled a fire alarm, urging people to escape the store.

Police say the man then made his way out an emergency exit where a former firefighter held the man at gunpoint. At that moment Springfield Police arrived on scene and detained the man.

The Springfield Police Department could not confirm the nature of statements said by the man to those inside of the Walmart, but they do confirm that the man had loaded weapons, and over one hundred rounds of ammunition.

Police also observed many shoppers hiding outside the Walmart and at nearby businesses.

Lieutenant Mike Lucas said it was clear the man's intent was to cause chaos, saying in part, "His intent was not to cause peace or comfort...He's lucky he's alive still, to be honest."

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Hea...528602951.html
      00000000000000ars3gg.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        They responded to El Paso not with compassion but with cruelty, even pre-meditated and long lusted after cruelty. This is the black, fetid, soul of Christian fascism in plain sight.
        They also cuffed and arrested nearly 700 people, then they let some 300 of them go. If there were 300 innocent people let go, then what were they arrested for in the first place. I'm also waiting to see if the owners of the plant are going to be arrested for breaking the law in the hiring of these undocumented workers in the first place, well, no, really I'm not holding my breath, because if they held those employers to account, they'd have to hold President Trump to account as well for employing undocumented workers all throughout his businesses. Trumps above the law you know.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Yeah, I posted that last page.

I don't think he intended to be a mass shooter because he just walked around calling attention to himself instead.
          Apparently being charged with making a terrorist threat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            Yes, I'd heard.

That Europe is going insane doesn't undermine my argument.
            It doesn't appear to be a fair comparison anyways. Apparently the idea that London trumped NYC in terms of murder was only true for a brief period (2 months) in 2018. That's not how crime statistics for major cities are typically done, however. We typically measure crimes like homicide by per year per 100,000 of population. This article points out that homicide was actually lower by half in London in 2018 than it was in NYC even though they have roughly comparable population sizes:

https://www.euronews.com/2019/06/18/...re-to-new-york

This podcast page even offers some interesting graphs. What I think is remarkable is how much crime has come down in NYC in recent years, likely due to better policing,

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-a...her-than-nycs/

Edit: Just noticed Roy mentioned one of the same articles. Sorry for the repeat.
            Last edited by Adrift; 08-09-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              They can't knife to death 26 people within less than a minute. Stop with the excuses, it only shows your true lack of empathy or concern.
              Is there a time limit on how long you have to murder your victims now? Someone with an axe or sword could kill a lot of people pretty quickly in a crowded area.

And since you only care about using these tragedies as a political club, you have no room to talk about a lack of empathy or concern, you pissant.

Comment

Yeah, I posted that last page.

He was probably posting some screed on video getting ready to start shooting. He had loaded weapons, a rifle, and a handgun and 100 rounds of ammo. If he wasn't trying to be a copycat shooter, he was the stupidest moron ever to be born.

But my takeaway is that some other citizen who was carrying a gun stopped him before he could become a shooter. There are a lot more people who would NOT go around shooting other people with guns than those who do, so I have no problem with responsible people carrying in public. It means that when one idiot decides to try something, there will be multiple others there to stop him. If this guy decided to start shooting and they had to wait for police, we would have had another massacre on our hands.

Comment

A man showed up at a Wal-Mart in Missouri today with two guns, a bulletproof vest, and 100 rounds of ammo, and was recording himself walking around the store making comments to customers. The store was evacuated, and an off duty firefighter held him at gunpoint until police could arrive to assess the situation.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ay/1961573001/

What was this guy thinking? Was he LARPing like those people who went around to businesses open carrying in groups just to prove they could (and all that achieved was getting several store/restaurant chains to ban concealed carry on premises)? Considering it was a Wal-Mart where the massacre the occurred just days prior, doing this seems downright cruel.
                  There are some weird open carry wackos who seem to think they're making a point about their legal rights by walking around armed to the teeth into places like Walmart, or down highways. There's even a video of two gun right guys walking into a police station armed to the teeth and wearing masks because they wanted to complain to someone at the station for being pulled over earlier in the day because they were suspiciously wandering around wearing tactical vests and masks.

http://www.pressandguide.com/news/ar...9f45309c1.html

Here's another video where a cop with the patience of a saint has to deal with a couple of boneheads also attempting to make their point. Like cops don't have better things to do,

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Is there a time limit on how long you have to murder your victims now? Someone with an axe or sword could kill a lot of people pretty quickly in a crowded area.

And since you only care about using these tragedies as a political club, you have no room to talk about a lack of empathy or concern, you pissant.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      There are some weird open carry wackos who seem to think they're making a point about their legal rights by walking around armed to the teeth into places like Walmart, or down highways. There's even a video of two gun right guys walking into a police station armed to the teeth and wearing masks because they wanted to complain to someone at the station for being pulled over earlier in the day because they were suspiciously wandering around wearing tactical vests and masks.

http://www.pressandguide.com/news/ar...9f45309c1.html

Here's another video where a cop with the patience of a saint has to deal with a couple of boneheads also attempting to make their point. Like cops don't have better things to do,

facepalm3.gif

See post #302

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                        They could have called it off. They prefer to be deliberately cruel.
                        Because arresting people who have broken our laws is cruel.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]38939[/ATTACH]

See post #302
                          Yes, he was responding to my analysis of that story from yesterday.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                            They can't knife to death 26 people within less than a minute. Stop with the excuses, it only shows your true lack of empathy or concern.
                            Japan knife attack: stabbing at care centre leaves 19 dead

33 Dead, 130 Injured in China Knife-Wielding Spree

Nine Die, Dozens Injured in Car And Knife Attack in China's Hunan

Seven Children Killed And 12 Others Wounded in Mass Stabbing Attack in China

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              Because arresting people who have broken our laws is cruel.
                              The USA, under GOP leadership, may end up being the most powerful fascist country that the world has ever seen. Unlike the Third Reich, the USA will not be defeated by military conflict. White nationalism is on the march again, and it holds aloft, The Holy Bible, and it picks fights with the weakest, first.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                                The USA, under GOP leadership, may end up being the most powerful fascist country that the world has ever seen. Unlike the Third Reich, the USA will not be defeated by military conflict. White nationalism is on the march again, and it holds aloft, The Holy Bible, and it picks fights with the weakest, first.

Comment