Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting El Paso...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Can you expand on this, because, as I understand it, that's sorta what we did. Granted, they didn't turn their entire military on us, but we kinda gave them what for.
    We more made it too costly to continue than actually winning. We lost more battles than we won, as I recall, and it was more tenacity than military prowess that won the day.

Now, yes, Yorktown was a big win - but it came when the British were sick of the whole thing.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

We're living that history right now, and for most of the first world, developed nations, things seem to be going along swimmingly. If the stuff actually hit the fan, there is no way a citizen militia would outgun the US military.
      Sure, you can downplay the lessons of history at your own peril.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The second amendment wasn't written by the finger of God on Mount Sinai. It's a piece of paper that can and has been updated many times. Sometimes even repealing previous amendments. This sort of almost holy reverence for the Constitution is unhealthy.
        Okay, that's kinda over the line - the US Constitution is the supreme law of the land. The second amendment has been (really stupidly, in my opinion) incorporated. So he's not actually wrong in substance nor the rationale behind it (it literally says it in the text).

Now, if it were repealed, that would be completely different. I'll even help with the campaign - I just don't see any realistic way to do this right now. But hey, at least you could get it through the House!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          To be fair, in the event of an armed insurrection, I suspect the act would be quickly suspended.
          I would disagree - I think we would follow the tradition of calling on the National Guard, subject to each State's governor. I don't really see a scenario where our military is turned on our citizens.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Incidentally, Red Dawn is one of the worst movies ever made. Second only to An American Tale - at least I didn't end up rooting for the Russians in Red Dawn.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I would disagree - I think we would follow the tradition of calling on the National Guard, subject to each State's governor. I don't really see a scenario where our military is turned on our citizens.
              I don't see such a scenario either - but if there were one, the act would be one of the first causalities.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Incidentally, Red Dawn is one of the worst movies ever made. Second only to An American Tale - at least I didn't end up rooting for the Russians in Red Dawn.

But "The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming".... that was REAL!!!!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We more made it too costly to continue than actually winning. We lost more battles than we won, as I recall, and it was more tenacity than military prowess that won the day.

Now, yes, Yorktown was a big win - but it came when the British were sick of the whole thing.
                  Assuming you're right that it was just too expensive, and that's why the colonies won, an Empire losing a colony is a different animal altogether than a civil war.

Comment

I don't see such a scenario either - but if there were one, the act would be one of the first causalities.
                    Nope. Would not.

Comment

Assuming you're right that it was just too expensive, and that's why the colonies won, an Empire losing a colony is a different animal altogether than a civil war.
                      They fight and bleed pretty much the same.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Nope. Would not.
                        Would, too.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Would, too.
                          Not!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Sure, you can downplay the lessons of history at your own peril.
                            I think it's worth the risk. Again, if the choice comes down to banning all guns in order to stop being the most homicidal nation among 1st world/developed nations in the world, or fearing an unlikely, unwinnable, and improbable evil modern military, I say go ahead with the first option. Seems to be working for most other first world nations.

Comment

Okay, that's kinda over the line - the US Constitution is the supreme law of the land.
                              I honestly don't care. It's not scripture holy writ. It's a piece of goat skin written on by very intelligent and wise men, but fallible men all the same. Men that lived nearly 250 years ago. Times have changed. Amendments have come and gone. Perhaps the 2nd one needs to go too.

Comment

I think it's worth the risk. Again, if the choice comes down to banning all guns in order to stop being the most homicidal nation among 1st world/developed nations in the world, or fearing an unlikely, unwinnable, and improbable evil modern military, I say go ahead with the first option. Seems to be working for most other first world nations.
                                I think you beg the question concerning the likelihood.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment