Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Shooting El Paso...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by demi-conservative View Post
    Is not false dilemma. He says want to prevent deaths, but then realistic, can't do much about guns.

So if really really wants to stop deaths, demi suggests tackle other problems. Like he said, can't do much about guns.
    It's not the same. Not even close. There is no national agency lobbying to defend the right to drive drunk. There is no "national mood" that defends the right to drive drunk.

You're comparing apples and hand grenades.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

2. Amen Adrift, TheWall, KingsGambit, Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    If I'm dismissive it's because we've had this same discussion a half dozen times, and I think the excuses I get are, like, literally insane, and mostly not anything anyone actually takes seriously when they offer them.
    Yeah, I know I've brought this up before. I'll try to remember your response here, and not bring it up again.

I should correct my post #571, where instead of saying "The reason" I should have said "one of the reasons."
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Yeah, I know I've brought this up before. I'll try to remember your response here, and not bring it up again.

I should correct my post #571, where instead of saying "The reason" I should have said "one of the reasons."
    By "we've" I wasn't referring to "you and I," I'm referring to the forum at large.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I honestly don't understand some of the emotional reactions to Adrift's posts. I don't think it should be controversial that some parts of American gun culture really are scary. I had one gun activist co-worker who liked to go around saying that he would target/steal from liberals if society collapsed because they wouldn't have guns, and he would specify that he would target me... and he obsessively talked about all the guns and ammo he would buy. And the NRA has a member of their board of directors who said that liberals should be shot "like coyotes" (the NRA seemed to have no problem with his statement as they never disavowed it). This doesn't mean that everybody here is part of that or should be feared. I will admit, though, that based on experiences such as with this particular co-worker of mine, that I do not feel comfortable around people who hoard guns like he did.
    "Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

6. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I honestly don't understand some of the emotional reactions to Adrift's posts....
    Is this about me?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

If you really cared about drunk driving, you would push to ban all cars. That would solve the problem. The fact that none of you are willing to consider that means that you don't really care about saving lives.

"Technology has, in an enhanced way, given mockers a platform to set society on fire with polarizing speech. Internet culture privileges those whose insults are click bait." - Timothy Keller

9. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Is this about me?
    I was honestly a bit puzzled about your post where you said you were going to leave the conversation, because nothing he said struck me as being rude or unreasonable.

11. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was honestly a bit puzzled about your post where you said you were going to leave the conversation, because nothing he said struck me as being rude or unreasonable.
    I realized we weren't even on the same page -- I wasn't defending guns or anything - I was simply intrigued by the discussion about being "outgunned". When Adrift seemed to be annoyed that I was focused too much on the "side issue", I decided to exit the conversation.

Here's what I said...

I apologize. I thought I was having a civil and reasonable discussion with you.

Exiting.
    That was neither emotional nor...... and I didn't think or say or imply that he said anything "rude or unreasonable".

It just seemed pointless to carry on, as I was not addressing his concerns.

And if you were truly "puzzled about my post", you could have asked rather than assume.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-12-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I realized we weren't even on the same page -- I wasn't defending guns or anything - I was simply intrigued by the discussion about being "outgunned". When Adrift seemed to be annoyed that I was focused too much on the "side issue", I decided to exit the conversation.

Here's what I said...

That was neither emotional nor......

It just seemed pointless to carry on, as I was not addressing his concerns.

And if you were truly "puzzled about my post", you could have asked.
    Okay, sorry about the confusion!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay, sorry about the confusion!
    Next time, please ask, OK? To my knowledge, I have NEVER been abrasive or confrontational to you. If I have been, I am truly sorry.

AND, I might add -- Adrift is one of my favorite posters, and it seemed like we were really not gee-hawing. Rather than belabor it, I excused myself. Isn't that Christian?