Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting - Dayton Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Now, see, if you were watching The Evil Dead, Cannibal Holocaust, and Scanners back in the 80s early 90s like I was you would've already been done desensitized.

You do make a good point. My parents can now watch TV series that they would have never given a chance even 5 years ago. It started with Blacklist, then I got them on Prison Break and 24 (which was really intense for my mom). Now they're watching Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul like it's nothing.
    I did watch scanners. I remember being grossed out by the head exploding. Then I watched it years later and thought it was a pretty cheezy looking effect.

Comment

Now, see, if you were watching The Evil Dead, Cannibal Holocaust, and Scanners back in the 80s early 90s like I was you would've already been done desensitized.

You do make a good point. My parents can now watch TV series that they would have never given a chance even 5 years ago. It started with Blacklist, then I got them on Prison Break and 24 (which was really intense for my mom). Now they're watching Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul like it's nothing.
      Robocop. 'nuff said.
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

You know what's strange, I can watch a guy's head explode like that famous scene in Scanners, and it doesn't effect me at all. I see someone giving blood on the news, and I start feeling faint and have to look away. It's very odd.
        I think MM was right about there being something in most people's heads that says "that's fake so its ok" and we are still grossed out by the real thing. I can watch operations on TV shows and not blink, but at work I had to watch a video of a real operation (knee replacement) and I couldn't watch it. It was ewwww.

But even if someone is grossed out by the REAL thing, it's too late if they have been desensitized by the fake thing and go out on a shooting spree. Or they are just too far gone to care.

Comment

• Scot McKnight's blog has a long list of potential factors to blame, including movies, music, hockey, NASCAR, paintball, football, video games, and hunting. But note that he isn't individually blaming any of them; he says they are symptomatic of a culture of violence. I don't think that observation in itself can be dismissed, even if one wants to quibble with some of the details. I think "hunting for Bambi" should have been left off the list, personally.

(I'm kind of surprised to hear him come out against sports like that because he's one of the most outspoken sports fans in the Christian blogosphere and has talked about football on his blog, though his true love is baseball, which isn't mentioned.)

I'm not interested in discussing his gun control rant; that topic has been discussed to death elsewhere on here.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesusc...me-for-change/
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            What gun advertising?

And I think it has more to do with first person shooter video games. You can't tell me that playing those games doesn't desensitize kids to violence and murder and even make it fun.
            I wonder if there's some connection to the sorts of people that are attracted to those games in the first place. I've never been a gamer, and on the rare occasions I've played combat games, I've been shooting robots, spaceships, or monsters, not humans.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              I wonder if there's some connection to the sorts of people that are attracted to those games in the first place. I've never been a gamer, and on the rare occasions I've played combat games, I've been shooting robots, spaceships, or monsters, not humans.
              And the whole spooky movie thing took a turn when you were no longer an observer, but a participant, because the camera angle had "you" stalking the victim. Was that the first of the Halloween movies?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Problem is it's a really high percentage of the population. The majority of adults do game, and 42% of those are into shooter games: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-video-games/

Pew didn't say what percentage of kids play shooter games, but I'm sure it's higher. It said over 80% of kids play video games, and the most popular video game among kids (Fortnite) is a shooter game...
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  Problem is it's a really high percentage of the population. The majority of adults do game, and 42% of those are into shooter games: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...d-video-games/

Pew didn't say what percentage of kids play shooter games, but I'm sure it's higher. It said over 80% of kids play video games, and the most popular video game among kids (Fortnite) is a shooter game...
                  I feel so left out.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I feel so left out.
                    I play chess online and a puzzle game on my phone so I'm probably technically considered a gamer, but otherwise, I'm with you

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I play chess online and a puzzle game on my phone so I'm probably technically considered a gamer, but otherwise, I'm with you
                      OK, ya broke me! I confess --- I left out the fact that I play on the average of 12 "Words with Friends" games at a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

This is purely anecdotal, of course, but I've been playing violent video games of one form or another for close to four-decades. I've watched countless violent movies and television shows. And yet I'm not a violent person, I avoid conflict, and when I see someone get hurt in real life, I cringe, feel badly for them, and do what I can to help them. This, I think, is typical for a mentally healthy person. We are capable of distinguishing between fantasy violence in entertainment, and real violence.
                        I love the movie "Kingsmen" -- especially the church massacre scene. I get such laffs out of that. But I won't watch boxing or other full-contact "striking" sports. I have a much different reaction internally when I know the violence I'm seeing is "real."
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• And the shooting games are becoming more and more realistic. I predict that within 4-5 years we won't be able to distinguish most shooting games from an actual movie.

Comment

I love the movie "Kingsmen" -- especially the church massacre scene. I get such laffs out of that. But I won't watch boxing or other full-contact "striking" sports. I have a much different reaction internally when I know the violence I'm seeing is "real."
                            I thought I was the only person who thought watching boxing was yuk. A "sport" where the INTENT is to knock the daylights out of your opponent just sounds.... barbaric.

ETA: As opposed, for example, to scantily clad morbidly obese men dancing with one another until one of them falls outside a circle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I thought I was the only person who thought watching boxing was yuk. A "sport" where the INTENT is to knock the daylights out of your opponent just sounds.... barbaric.

ETA: As opposed, for example, to scantily clad morbidly obese men dancing with one another until one of them falls outside a circle.
                              Why, I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about here.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                and yet if I saw that same thing 20-30years ago I would have been sickened. Now I am not. desensitized. We all are.
                                Desensitized to fake Hollywood violence and special effects, perhaps. Not to actual, real world violence.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment