Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting - Dayton Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I think it has more to do with first person shooter video games. You can't tell me that playing those games doesn't desensitize kids to violence and murder and even make it fun.
    There is zero credible evidence that violent video games, or movies, or television shows make people more violent.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      That was more than 50 years ago. It does nothing to explain why mass shootings have increased in the last ten years.
      The idea that it's part of a series of contributing factors makes a bit of sense. I don't think lack of prayer and discipline in schools is directly related to school shootings, but would we've gone down this darker path had they not been removed from schools? It's an interesting thought. I think a more direct correlation is the advent of "going postal." I've mentioned this before, but there's a documentary on this called Murder by Proxy: How America Went Postal which points out how these ideas spread from person to person. Starting with factory and then postal shootings in the 80s and the early 90s, and how that hopped over into schools. How the media made the cry for help that your average suicide victim might express in a letter, set to a loud speaker when put into the national spotlight.
      Last edited by Adrift; 08-05-2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        There is zero credible evidence that violent video games, or movies, or television shows make people more violent.
        The evidence is right there. There are many studies over the years showing that exposure to violence in video games and media does desensitize people to violence.
        See:
        https://news.umich.edu/violent-video...orld-violence/
        https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...9.2016.1142382

No one is saying that is causes everyone to become more violent, but when people with mental problems or who are being bullied at school and on social media are also used to taking out frustrations in violent video games, they will be desensitized by the violence and think it is a viable method to use in real life.

Another factor is imitation. People imitate what they see. Look at the spree of people licking food after one person did it on social media. When people see others shooting up public area with AR15's and they are at the end of their rope, they will decide that is a great way to go out, shooting up people they feel are responsible for their misery and at least getting some publicity and notoriety out of it. Which just encourages the next nut.

Comment

In fact, they haven't.

That source does not include any data beyond 2016. Educate yourself.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            So, another "shoot and scoot" post.

Venting your righteous indignation, along with your jackass broadbrush slander. MANY of us are VERY concerned about this and other tragedies, but believe the problem is much more than just "too many guns".

So, if you KNEW it was "pointless", and would simply "trigger the usual flame war" - why didn't you delete it? Because that's exactly what you intended?
            His first post (and post #3) in the thread was a "last word to y'all" post. I'm impressed.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

In fact, they haven't.

You are so deceived MM. Just completely immersed into a rhetoric of hatred and destruction that you will post something as brain dead as what you've just put up here to try to defend not acting to at least try to stop the rising tide of gunmen with military style weapons gunning down innocent men women and children.

Yep - 3 mass shootings in 1 weekend - 'but it's just like it's always been'. What an idiot.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Turns out this guy was a liberal and supporter of Elizabeth Warren...

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2019...-ohio-shooter/
                Really - the 'reason' they took it down was to 'hide' it's left wing orientation? No - the reason they took it down was keep other idiots that might be persuaded by his rhetoric from being inspired by his writings and heading down to the the local gun store, buying an AR15, and then heading out to some public place and killing another 9 (or more) people.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That was more than 50 years ago. It does nothing to explain why mass shootings have increased in the last ten years.
                  That was pointed out in a subsequent post - social media.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    And Biden has weighed in as only he can -- offering .
                    He was close - it was Texas and Yankees.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      The evidence is right there. There are many studies over the years showing that exposure to violence in video games and media does desensitize people to violence.
                      See:
                      https://news.umich.edu/violent-video...orld-violence/
                      https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...9.2016.1142382

No one is saying that is causes everyone to become more violent, but when people with mental problems or who are being bullied at school and on social media are also used to taking out frustrations in violent video games, they will be desensitized by the violence and think it is a viable method to use in real life.

Another factor is imitation. People imitate what they see. Look at the spree of people licking food after one person did it on social media. When people see others shooting up public area with AR15's and they are at the end of their rope, they will decide that is a great way to go out, shooting up people they feel are responsible for their misery and at least getting some publicity and notoriety out of it. Which just encourages the next nut.
                      If violent entertainment caused or encouraged violent behavior then we should be the most violent generation in history. We're not. There are obviously other factors at play.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                        His first post (and post #3) in the thread was a "last word to y'all" post. I'm impressed.
                        The boy gets passionate.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          You are so deceived MM. Just completely immersed into a rhetoric of hatred and destruction that you will post something as brain dead as what you've just put up here to try to defend not acting to at least try to stop the rising tide of gunmen with military style weapons gunning down innocent men women and children.

Yep - 3 mass shootings in 1 weekend - 'but it's just like it's always been'. What an idiot.

Jim
                          You suck at mind reading, Jim. All I did was post some facts. It wasn't an attempt to promote or defend any particular point of view but simply an attempt to correct a common misconception.

The fact is that you are the one so steeped in hated to the point that you invent sinister motives behind an innocuous post. Get help, Jim. You really need it.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 08-05-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

That was pointed out in a subsequent post - social media.
                            I know. It shows that removing prayers from public schools is not the only cause of mass shootings, and may not be a cause at all.
                            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I know. It shows that removing prayers from public schools is not the only cause of mass shootings, and may not be a cause at all.
                              I never said it was the only cause - and I also mentioned discipline, mr IJustWannaPickAFight. I think it's what got the ball rolling - pretty much the attack on the nuclear family.

Comment

I never said it was the only cause - and I also mentioned discipline, mr IJustWannaPickAFight. I think it's what got the ball rolling - pretty much the attack on the nuclear family.
                                Since I'm fight-picking, the nuclear family and prayer in schools are very different things.

I just don't think there is a connection between school prayer removal and mass shootings. Other countries (except maybe Canada) don't have the same issue.

The obvious factor that differentiates the US from other "Western" countries that don't have so many mass shootings is the accessibility of guns.

Comment