Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting - Dayton Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Maybe we're brothers! (but, note, that would mean you are Rogue's brother, too! )
    Yeah, that parenthetical might be a deal breaker.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You mean nerds.
      Gotta admit, sounds like fun though.

I'd be interested in seeing how seriously the SCA takes the historical stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        hmm so would you suggest it or not?
        Not. I am betting there won't be a season 2.

The last couple of episodes were not as bad as the others. But still not great. It stars Katie Sackhoff, and I usually like her in shows, but this one was just written poorly and the characters were like highschoolers in space. They were supposed to be astronauts, but they acted like bored teens. One was always on her tablet, another was always complaining about everything, and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Incidentally, since you're against poor arguments being used, you shouldn't say that guns were more prevalent fifty years ago. They weren't. Fifty years ago there were less privately-owned guns than people in the USA. Now there are more privately-owned guns than people.
          There literally isn't data to support that - and cannot be - which is why we rely on experience.
          There no direct data to support that, but that doesn't mean it's unsupported. For example, the FBI reports 320 million firearms background checks from 1998 to 2019. While that doesn't mean that that number of guns were purchased - some checks will lead to a refusal, some checks will be for people who do not actually purchase anything, and (in the other direction) some people will purchase multiple guns if they pass the check - it does give an indication of the scale of gun purchases. There's also the global small arms survey which uses several techniques to estimate the number of privately-owned guns in the US, and concludes that there are now 20% more guns than people. Their previous reports indicate the opposite.

Also, you are conflating data with argument.
          I don't think I am.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I started rooting for the cats in the first 15 minutes of An American Tale.
            "There are no cats in America".
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I started rooting for the cats...
              Color me surprised

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                Yeah, that parenthetical might be a deal breaker.
                My awesomeness is a bit too much for some folks to handle. It really is a burden being this cool.

And then being my brother you'd always be compared to me and the resulting depression for those in that position can be a bit overwhelming as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The combat is viewed seriously but just about everything else is pretty much through rose-colored glasses.

Comment

Depends on the group - some are really into getting everything right - most are a mix of getting it right, getting it to look right and who care's, let's have fun.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Color me surprised
                      Admit it - Fivel is the most 'survives despite rationality' character in existence. Nothing kills him, no matter how ridiculous the odds.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The combat is viewed seriously but just about everything else is pretty much through rose-colored glasses.
                        You have never been at an A&S competition! Wanna spend a month documenting the use of the color red in medieval France - make a project for A&S!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You have never been at an A&S competition! Wanna spend a month documenting the use of the color red in medieval France - make a project for A&S!
                          Let me know when they serve near rancid food to the lice infested participants.

Comment

Admit it - Fivel is the most 'survives despite rationality' character in existence. Nothing kills him, no matter how ridiculous the odds.
                            Hold my beer.

Comment

Let me know when they serve near rancid food to the lice infested participants.
                              Been there!

Truth is, people didn't actually do that unless they were near starvation - minus a famine, food wasn't allowed to spoil before being eaten.

Now, some of it would need a week in water to get all the salt out, but it wasn't rancid.

And they did bathe - just not every day.

I once went to an event on the opposite side of a mountain from a plague warning. The forestry guys that came to warn us had a blast.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Hold my beer.
                                Not a chance!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment