Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting - Dayton Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Yep. I get that way anytime there's a bratty kid or teenager in a show or movie where we see zero character development from them, and all they're doing is fouling things up for the adults. It's like "just let the freakin monsters eat him already."
    I have a thing for really bad movies. Especially those old 1950s B scifi flicks. They are so bad they are funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I was watching a new sci-fi show on Netflix called Another Life, which was soooooo bad, that I found myself rooting for the monsters to just kill off the crew.
      cf Jurassic Park III.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Yep. I get that way anytime there's a bratty kid or teenager in a show or movie where we see zero character development from them, and all they're doing is fouling things up for the adults. It's like "just let the freakin monsters eat him already."
        I don't know why, but that actually made me laugh out loud. Jake looked up at me like, "WHAT?"
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I think I understand where you're coming from on your hatred from sports now, though. My co-workers at my new job will go on and on about video games I've never heard of for hours and it grates on me. It made me directly realize that you must feel that way.
          When I was growing up it wasn't enough for my dad to talk about it, but he actively tried to force me to watch it and fill out brackets for various tournaments. I would be punished if I didn't do those things too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            When I was growing up it wasn't enough for my dad to talk about it, but he actively tried to force me to watch it and fill out brackets for various tournaments. I would be punished if I didn't do those things too.
            I'm so glad my dad wasn't into sports. He was more interested in us developing a work ethic and being productive, and he was a great example of that.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Correct. But the specific culture change mentioned occurred in the wrong time frame.

Incidentally, since you're against poor arguments being used, you shouldn't say that guns were more prevalent fifty years ago. They weren't. Fifty years ago there were less privately-owned guns than people in the USA. Now there are more privately-owned guns than people.
              There literally isn't data to support that - and cannot be - which is why we rely on experience. And even if it were, you're looking at the wrong variable. Gun ownership is what we are looking at.

Also, you are conflating data with argument.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I started rooting for the cats in the first 15 minutes of An American Tale.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I'm so glad my dad wasn't into sports. He was more interested in us developing a work ethic and being productive, and he was a great example of that.
                  Yeah, while my dad did siding and roofing, his main passion was painting, and he wasn't very interested in sports, so I think he took us to a grand total of maybe 2 baseball games ever, and we were bored to death. Average weekend with my dad included hitting the bookstores and art galleries in Providence, then heading out back behind the art school, and throwing us into the dumpsters to collect canvas and brushes that the students threw out. As a reward he'd take us to the local water fountain and have us collect all of the silver coins, and then he'd take us to get ice cream with the change we collected. Dad was/is pretty cheap like that, but I always had a blast.

Comment

Yeah, while my dad did siding and roofing, his main passion was painting, and he wasn't very interested in sports, so I think he took us to a grand total of maybe 2 baseball games ever, and we were bored to death. Average weekend with my dad included hitting the bookstores and art galleries in Providence, then heading out back behind the art school, and throwing us into the dumpsters to collect canvas and brushes that the students threw out. As a reward he'd take us to the local water fountain and have us collect all of the silver coins, and then he'd take us to get ice cream with the change we collected. Dad was/is pretty cheap like that, but I always had a blast.
                    Maybe we're brothers! (but, note, that would mean you are Rogue's brother, too! )

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Maybe we're brothers! (but, note, that would mean you are Rogue's brother, too! )
                      Can'i be - he doesn't show enough brain damage to be Rogue's brother... I mean, sure there's the grocery bag* thing, but other than that... nada.

( Couldn't resist! Sorry! )

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        I'd rather they wore themselves out punching while wearing big, padded gloves than have them work out their aggression with more efficient means like weapons.

The bigger worry is that they will do brain and ear damage in the process.

Maybe we could convince them to learn SCA style sword play - big rattan stick versus a ton of armor....
                        I can ask my younger brother to train anyone interested LOL he was in the SCA. although they do have their tourney's and wars I remember the first War I attended as I'd never seen so many people die so many times so well before
                        Last edited by RumTumTugger; 08-06-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          What is "SCA"?

I think we should encourage gigantic ridiculous anime-style swords.
                          Society for Creative achronism <sp> it is a group of people who study and pretend to be in medievel times.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                            Society for Creative achronism <sp> it is a group of people who study and pretend to be in medievel times.
                            You mean nerds.

Comment

I was watching a new sci-fi show on Netflix called Another Life, which was soooooo bad, that I found myself rooting for the monsters to just kill off the crew. It was basically "Millennials in Space" - It actually got better in the last two episodes but the first 4 were horrible.
                              hmm so would you suggest it or not?

Comment

You mean nerds.

Comment