Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting - Dayton Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    It is in line with MM's chart. But MM's chart doesn't include any data since 2016, rendering it useless for finding out whether there has been an increase in the last ten years.

More specifically, the WP data shows 8 mass shootings in each of 2017 and 2018 (and 5 already in 2019), more than happened at the peaks in MM's chart at 1991, 1993, 1999 or 2012, and comparable even if population increase is factored in. I don't have time right now to create a chart based on the WP data and US population data, but I think based on a couple of quick calculations that it would show all of the last three years being comparable to the isolated highest individual years before then, pushing the 5-year average to the 2.0 line and demonstrating a definite increase.*

*I would say an undeniable increase, but some people will deny anything.
    You are counting number of shootings in a year, but MM's chart is number of shooting per 100 million population.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      He wants to know "whether there has been an increase in the last ten years." You do realize you cannot stop 3 years ago if you want to know what happened the last ten years, right?
      Roy's data includes the years 2017 and 2018. The population of the USA is around 300 million so you would just need to multiply Roy's numbers by 3 to get the numbers for MM's charts. IF Roy's numbers are valid. Teal seems to think they are not.
      Last edited by Sparko; 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Roy's data includes the years 2017 and 2018. The population of the USA is around 300 million so you would just need to multiply Roy's numbers by 3 to get the numbers for MM's charts.
        After you make sure it meets definition... FBI doesn't have more than preliminary data for 2018.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          After you make sure it meets definition... FBI doesn't have more than preliminary data for 2018.
          I just edited my post to reflect your opinion.

Comment

I just edited my post to reflect your opinion.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Turns out this guy was a liberal and supporter of Elizabeth Warren...

https://www.breitbart.com/crime/2019...-ohio-shooter/
              I wonder if that's why there was so little coverage of that shooting compared to the El Paso shooting which the MSM hopes they can blame on Trump.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What gun advertising?

And I think it has more to do with first person shooter video games. You can't tell me that playing those games doesn't desensitize kids to violence and murder and even make it fun.
                But the left, led by the Hollyweird celebutards, prevent any discussion of what role things like those sort of games and the constant glorification of violence in the entertainment industry in general (whether in movies, music, video games ...) might play.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  There is zero credible evidence that violent video games, or movies, or television shows make people more violent.
                  Has there been any studies in the past few years that support that?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Guns were far more prevalent in American culture - and ownership - fifty years ago, yet mass shootings were extremely rare.
                    Are you sure about that? One of the main arguing points on the pro-gun side is that gun ownership today is higher than it's ever been, and that somehow correlates with less gun violence since it's height in the 80s and 90s.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      Are you sure about that? One of the main arguing points on the pro-gun side is that gun ownership today is higher than it's ever been, and that somehow correlates with less gun violence since it's height in the 80s and 90s.
                      I think there are more guns just in fewer hands. I know this it was easier to get fire arms in the 60s. I purchased a shotgun when I was 14, without a parent. The shop owner just called my dad...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Another factor is imitation. People imitate what they see. Look at the spree of people licking food after one person did it on social media. When people see others shooting up public area with AR15's and they are at the end of their rope, they will decide that is a great way to go out, shooting up people they feel are responsible for their misery and at least getting some publicity and notoriety out of it. Which just encourages the next nut.
                        Speaking of which, back when the "Assault Weapons" ban was being debated during the Clinton years it was repeatedly pointed out that those guns were rarely if ever used in such attacks, but after being repeatedly being told who effective they would be by the MSM, politicians and the like they are now the weapon of choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          Both could be true. Back then the population was much lower but you probably had more households with guns, mostly because the USA was more rural back then and people on farms and in rural areas tend to have guns for hunting.

Today you have more guns per person and a larger population but probably a lower percentage of the population with guns then back then.

I remember in the 1970s kids bringing their guns to school and having rod and gun clubs at school. Kids at my high school used to drive pickups to school with gun racks in the cab with the guns in them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            He was close - it was Texas and Yankees.
                            But if Trump had flubbed it like that I think it is safe to say that we'd either be subjected to another barrage of "TRUMP LIED!!" outbursts or a lot of segments on CNN and MSNBC discussing Trump's mental abilities and the 25th Amendment.

Come to think of it, it would be both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              What brand of shoes do you buy?

Seriously, this is the worst argument possible against media as a potential problem - I didn't become psychotic therefore someone who is so predisposed won't have a problem either?
                              I tend to buy whatever comfortable work boots I can find at a reasonable price. I couldn't even tell you what brand I'm wearing right now.

And I never said that people who are predisposed won't be influenced by violent media. But also, people who are predisposed can be set off by any random thing. My point is, it's the person and not the catalyst that's the problem, because one catalyst will work as well as another.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 08-05-2019, 01:02 PM.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Making it national news gives them fame - kids that messed up will settle for infamy. Heck, they probably don't know the difference.
                                In this day and age the line separating them has become very thin indeed.

Comment