Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mass Shooting - Dayton Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to Fox, the police were on scene (it was some sort of bar crawl? Anyway, they were already there for the crowd) and managed to stop the shooter within one minute.

Making gun control points immediately after a tragedy is just trashy - on BOTH sides.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Only kinda sorta - Ohio allows concealed carry in places that serve alcohol with a valid concealed carry permit, unless posted and as long as you consume no alcohol.
      Is that not reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        Is that not reasonable?
        Personally, I don't think guns need to be where alcohol is served, but I was simply stating what I understand the law to be.

And, Ohio is one of the places where "open carry" is legal, even without a permit.

Any person who is at least 21 years old and legally entitled to carry a firearm can open carry. - [Ohio Rev. Code § 2923.125]
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or, maybe, instead of launching into the impossible "BAN GUNS - NO, GUN RIGHTS" battle, spend some time to figure out what's actually making these people act out.
          I stand corrected and apologize for the unintentional derail (since I'd never apologize for an intentional one)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I stand corrected and apologize for the unintentional derail (since I'd never apologize for an intentional one)
            We just go to that same impossible argument every time, and no progress. If they ban semi-automatic rifles, what's to keep somebody from going into a place with, for example, Ruger's new .22 semi-auto handgun with standard 30 round magazines?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Reports from acquaintances on Facebook from the area are now claiming that the sister's boyfriend was also killed, and there is speculation that it had to do with their mixed race relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                Mass shootings ought to be regarded as acceptable losses simply because no effective action is ever taken to prevent them. So, while policemen and politicians go on television to condemn and sympathize and everyone agrees that the killing is horrible, nothing ever happens because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Omnes pro uno, does not apply.
                The real problem is that liberals are determined to rewrite the Constitution and revoke basic liberties as a solution. There's no room for compromise, and so gridlock and inaction is the result.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  his name was connor betts, looks like he killed his sister in the process.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/da...-live-updates/
                  Originally posted by adrift View Post
                  reports from acquaintances on facebook from the area are now claiming that the sister's boyfriend was also killed, and there is speculation that it had to do with their mixed race relationship.

ugh.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Or, maybe, instead of launching into the impossible "BAN GUNS - NO, GUN RIGHTS" battle, spend some time to figure out what's actually making these people act out.
                    I agree. The young men that do these things seem to be convinced that there is a problem so serious that only military style action will deal with it, and they see themselves as being on the front line. Where does that idea come from?

Part of it seems to be political messaging, and part is gun advertising. Guns linked by advertising to manly behavior and problem solving.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      I agree. The young men that do these things seem to be convinced that there is a problem so serious that only military style action will deal with it, and they see themselves as being on the front line. Where does that idea come from?

Part of it seems to be political messaging, and part is gun advertising. Guns linked by advertising to manly behavior and problem solving.
                      I think it's a combo of things, not the least of which is prescribed psychotropic drugs. But I believe a large percentage of it is just how we're being shaped by social media to react to one another. Everything is reactionary and emotional now. This is especially negative on the youth who have really known no other way to react to people or resolve conflict outside of the internet. So this probably translates to how they react to real life situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                        Reports from acquaintances on Facebook from the area are now claiming that the sister's boyfriend was also killed, and there is speculation that it had to do with their mixed race relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          I agree. The young men that do these things seem to be convinced that there is a problem so serious that only military style action will deal with it, and they see themselves as being on the front line. Where does that idea come from? ...
                          From the social engineering of the 60's when we took prayer and discipline out of the schools and turned them over to teachers' unions whose only interest was "the system", not the kids. When we replaced moral absolutes with "anything goes". We are reaping the whirlwind.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            I think it's a combo of things, not the least of which is prescribed psychotropic drugs. But I believe a large percentage of it is just how we're being shaped by social media to react to one another. Everything is reactionary and emotional now. This is especially negative on the youth who have really known no other way to react to people or resolve conflict outside of the internet. So this probably translates to how they react to real life situations.
                            When John Kennedy was assassinated, our school sent us home to be consoled by our parents, because they knew that "life is tough and bad things happen", but we stand together.

Comment

When John Kennedy was assassinated, our school sent us home to be consoled by our parents, because they knew that "life is tough and bad things happen", but we stand together.
                              Weirdly, when Reagan was shot, kids on my school bus cheered.

Not for long - I thought our school bus driver was gonna kill 'em all before we even got out of the school yard... Never, ever, enrage little Southern ladies - just don't!
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

How many on drugs?

In November 2005, more than four years after Yates drowned her children, Effexor manufacturer Wyeth Pharmaceuticals quietly added “homicidal ideation” to the drug’s list of “rare adverse events.”
                                Last edited by demi-conservative; 08-04-2019, 05:31 PM.
                                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment