Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats pushing racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Both are shifting according to that page. Regardless, no poll or survey will shake what I'm seeing with my own two eyes and ears is in real life. It's not just my imagination. Something really is happening, and others seem to be noticing it as well. I'm surprised that people on this forum can't see it, but then, TWeb does lean awfully right, so that might explain it.
    Personal anecdotes just like person incredulousness ought to never trump scientific evidence.

Just sayin'

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      TWeb lean awfully right? I don't see anyone here pushing the examples you're citing from far right sites. I never see them in my usual sources, either.

You don't think the majority of TWeb's posters lean right? One of the reasons I enjoy visiting TWeb is as a counter-balance to forums like Reddit where the majority leans left. It allows me to see how both sides respond in lengthy discussions to current news events.

Comment

You don't think the majority of TWeb's posters lean right? One of the reasons I enjoy visiting TWeb is as a counter-balance to forums like Reddit where the majority leans left. It allows me to see how both sides respond in lengthy discussions to current news events.
        I don't lean right. I firmly stand there.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Personal anecdotes just like person incredulousness ought to never trump scientific evidence.

Just sayin'
          Perhaps not, but it seems unfair to ask me not to believe my own eyes and ears when I'm seeing it right in front of me. I may not be able to convince others based on personal anecdote, but I can't shake my own conviction. This is true of other matters as well. For instance, "scientific evidence" suggests that prayer does not work. I know that prayer works though. I've seen it work personally dozens of times. I'm convinced it works even if I can't argue scientifically for it's efficacy. Personal anecdote is evidence, though it may not always be convincing evidence.

Comment

Perhaps not, but it seems unfair to ask me not to believe my own eyes and ears when I'm seeing it right in front of me. I may not be able to convince others based on personal anecdote, but I can't shake my own conviction. This is true of other matters as well. For instance, "scientific evidence" suggests that prayer does not work. I know that prayer works though. I've seen it work personally dozens of times. I'm convinced it works even if I can't argue scientifically for it's efficacy. Personal anecdote is evidence, though it may not always be convincing evidence.
            Sometimes it comes down to "ok, so nobody else believes me - but it works for me".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Sometimes it comes down to "ok, so nobody else believes me - but it works for me".
              Yeah, I suppose so. I'm genuinely surprised that I'm getting resistance to my view though. It seems so absolutely and overwhelmingly obvious. I've even discussed this with friends and co-workers, and they tend to be seeing the same thing. Maybe it's just a regional thing, but that seems unlikely to me. I don't know. Very strange.

Comment

Yeah, I suppose so. I'm genuinely surprised that I'm getting resistance to my view though. It seems so absolutely and overwhelmingly obvious. I've even discussed this with friends and co-workers, and they tend to be seeing the same thing. Maybe it's just a regional thing, but that seems unlikely to me. I don't know. Very strange.
                Maybe (and I don't know this) it's a situation where we tend to notice those not like us more than we do those like us?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Maybe (and I don't know this) it's a situation where we tend to notice those not like us more than we do those like us?
                  I think that's very likely, and a good reminder to examine ourselves before we find fault everywhere else.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Er, you're comparing something that can be measured to something that can't be tested. God, omniscient, and not a trained poodle.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Er, you're comparing something that can be measured to something that can't be tested. God, omniscient, and not a trained poodle.
                      I'd argue that there's something wrong with both types of measurements/testing. I've experienced both things in real life. Personally even! I'm being told that both things are not the way things truly are. Something is off. It could be me. It could be the parameters and/or methods of testing.

Comment