Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Knowing God's Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing God's Will

Hello, question... how does one know if God is directing us to do something? I don't mean the "open doors/closed doors" analogy (or perhaps that's just one method?). Just... how does one know?

Well, there are a variety of ways God can make His will known - the main thing is to make sure that what you think is from God is coherent with Scripture. If not, it ain't God, it's you... or you-know-who.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by oopsies View Post
      Hello, question... how does one know if God is directing us to do something? I don't mean the "open doors/closed doors" analogy (or perhaps that's just one method?). Just... how does one know?
      Tune in and stay tuned in.

Read His word - do the things He says to do, and don't do the things He says not to do.

1) Know that you're saved - if you don't know that, that's the first thing
      2) Follow Him in Baptism, if you haven't already - that's obedience
      c) Be faithful in your witness

After you have those boxes checked, I think you're in a good position to say "OK, Lord, what's next?"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Usually I know when it is something I don't want to do, but I know it is the right thing to do. That is usually God telling me to get off my lazy butt and out of my comfort zone.

Comment

I love the 4 points of the Welsh Revival (1900-1904) with regards to being in God's will....

Right any wrong done to man
          Put away any doubtful habit
          Confess Christ openly
          Obey the Spirit promptly

I think the amazing thing about this 'formula' is that these are things that happen OUT OF (or because of) Revival --- so why not do them to INVITE Revival.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have been a Christian for close to 30 years. I have never got the impression of God specifically directing me. How I have been directed is by following the principles found in Scripture (primarily in the New Testament). Living a better moral life, helping those who need help, sharing the Gospel etc... I don't worry about figuring out what God is trying to say to me, if He wants to speak to me He will in no uncertain terms, God does not mumble. Until He directly speaks to me I have my hands full following the teachings of Christ as revealed in Scripture.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Comment

Just... how does one know?
                It might sound trite, but you'll just know. You have to trust that an omnipotent God can make his will known to you in an unmistakable way. I have a friend who runs a non-profit ministry who suddenly had an idea for a campaign based on the Good Samaritan, but to make sure it really was inspiration from God, she prayed and asked for confirmation. That week, she happened to hear three different pastors preach about the Good Samaritan, which she accepted as a pretty definitive sign that the idea really was from God.

But the important thing here is that you have to be able to listen, which means immersing yourself in the Bible and praying. It's a way of clearing the clutter out of your head so you can focus on God.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"Love, and do what you will" (St. Augustine)

God is concerned more with our motives than with our actions, per se. If our motive is love, love for God and love for our neighbor, then our actions will come around.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

This one brings me to another worry/concern (?):

"That week, she happened to hear three different pastors preach about the Good Samaritan, which she accepted as a pretty definitive sign that the idea really was from God."

I grew up being taught that this is a dangerous thing to do. That is, to sort of randomly "see" the answer when it might not be. You know what I mean? How do I distinguish this from personal desires?

Comment

"That week, she happened to hear three different pastors preach about the Good Samaritan, which she accepted as a pretty definitive sign that the idea really was from God."

I grew up being taught that this is a dangerous thing to do. That is, to sort of randomly "see" the answer when it might not be. You know what I mean? How do I distinguish this from personal desires?
                      This sounds like the old "Is it an answer to prayer, or is it a coincidence?" question. As my mom once said, God doesn't deal in coincidences.

But anyway, my friend's story is a little more complicated than what I've described here. It wasn't even necessarily an idea she wanted to pursue, and she would have been perfectly content with not doing it, but the idea was there, so prayed and asked God for confirmation.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I have developed the habit - when I wonder if what I'm "seeing" from God is really from Him - or praying, "OK, Lord, you know what a blockhead I can be, and how I can convince myself that something is from you if it's something I want -- so I'm asking you to make it really REALLY clear....."

He has, numerous times!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          This sounds like the old "Is it an answer to prayer, or is it a coincidence?" question. As my mom once said, God doesn't deal in coincidences.
                          The lady had been on a diet for weeks, and was doing good, but she was passing the donut shop on her way to the drug store. She REALLY wanted a donut. So she prayed. "Lord, if you want me to have a donut, then let there be a parking space right at the front door - that will be the sign".

Sure enough, after only SEVEN trips driving around the block, there was a parking spot open right at the front door!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            The lady had been on a diet for weeks, and was doing good, but she was passing the donut shop on her way to the drug store. She REALLY wanted a donut. So she prayed. "Lord, if you want me to have a donut, then let there be a parking space right at the front door - that will be the sign".

Sure enough, after only SEVEN trips driving around the block, there was a parking spot open right at the front door!

I usually find myself knowing it's God when it is something I DON'T want to do, but I know I should. My conscience won't let me be. And Romans 2 talks about that, how God uses our conscience to let us know right from wrong.

If it is something I want to do, I usually figure it is just me wanting it, and then I will see if it is aligned with biblical teachings. If it is, then I do it.

....If not, then I do the drive around the block 7 times thing.

Comment

I have a fairly severe form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder which manifests itself in the form of religious scrupulosity. I actually mostly have it under control for the last few years thanks to help from a good Christian therapist but I used to struggle with being convinced God was telling me to do something completely unreasonable (like turning myself into the police for copying a CD for a friend back in high school, getting rid of all my clothes except for plain shirts, or giving all my money to the poor and becoming homeless). That's why I don't know if I can apply the normal tests of discernment to myself in light of that knowledge.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment