Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boy Scouts Pedophilia Scandal

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think part of the problem with the RCC is that on a high up level, they've sent hints that perhaps they just don't care that much. They blocked American bishops from taking action to address the crisis about a year ago, and Pope Francis directly accused a number of sexual abuse victims in Chile of "slander" before it was clear they were telling the truth. Also, the bishop where I lived until a couple months ago was actually criminally charged for covering up a pedophile priest... yet the Vatican allowed him to remain there for several years before Francis finally took him down.

What's going on? As a correspondent for the National Catholic Reporter said:

"No one [in the Vatican] thinks the sexual abuse of kids is unique to the States, but they do think that the reporting on it is uniquely American, fueled by anti-Catholicism and shyster lawyers hustling to tap the deep pockets of the church. And that thinking is tied to the larger perception about American culture, which is that there is a hysteria when it comes to anything sexual, and an incomprehension of the Catholic Church. What that means is that Vatican officials are slower to make the kinds of public statements that most American Catholics want, and when they do make them they are tentative and halfhearted. It's not that they don't feel bad for the victims, but they think the clamor for them to apologize is fed by other factors that they don't want to capitulate to." ( https://archive.today/20120722040754...backissue=open )

There are undoubtedly school districts that don't care either but due to the more local nature of school districts, there's no real comparison. The Department of Education isn't actively shuffling teachers around, though districts do it - they call it "passing the trash".
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-09-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Most of those cases are very old.

Having been in Boy Scouts in multiple troops, I can only speak for what I saw, which was going far out of the way to avoid even any appearance of problems. BSA observes a strict rule where no boy can be alone with any adult leader (unless that leader is his father), and my troop also avoided situations where older Scouts were camping with younger Scouts.
    Was your pack or den or whatever sponsored by a church?
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Was your pack or den or whatever sponsored by a church?
    Yes. My first troop was sponsored by a Nazarene church but I left because they started discriminating against me for being Baptist instead of Nazarene. My second one was sponsored by a Methodist church.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes. My first troop was sponsored by a Nazarene church but I left because they started discriminating against me for being Baptist instead of Nazarene. My second one was sponsored by a Methodist church.
    I wonder if that might have had something to do with the "no boy alone with a man not his father" thing.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wonder if that might have had something to do with the "no boy alone with a man not his father" thing.
    No, it was just a weird situation. They let the leader's son get away with bloody murder, but that adult leader just had it out for me. He once came up to me and accused me of talking to everybody about masturbation when I had done nothing even remotely of the sort. I found a much better situation elsewhere and my overall experience with Scouts ended up being positive in the end.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, it was just a weird situation. They let the leader's son get away with bloody murder, but that adult leader just had it out for me. He once came up to me and accused me of talking to everybody about masturbation when I had done nothing even remotely of the sort. I found a much better situation elsewhere and my overall experience with Scouts ended up being positive in the end.
    We had Royal Ambassadors in church when I was a kid, and a great bunch of decent men who led -- and we got to do all kinds of woodsy things, and buildy things, and rockety things...

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm not part of regular scouting anymore (though I was as a kid). However, I'm an adult leader with a program under the BSA umbrella of youth programs. We have to do "Youth Protection" training every two years. It's basically training to reiterate their multiple policies to avoid abuse of any sort -- which include, what do they call it? "Two deep leadership" or something. Basically you can't have any event without two adults present. You can't ever be alone with a youth or youths (two adults at all times, even if there are multiple youth present). One of the two adults has to be an adult leader (basically, been through background checks and current on their Youth Protection Training Certification). Technically, you're not allowed to even text a youth directly, one on one. You're supposed to make it a group chat and include another adult leader.

BSA failed to protect the youth in the past, but they've taken serious steps to keep current youth safe. They're so strict about the leadership thing, I had to submit to their criminal background check even though I'm a law enforcement officer and have already been through a far more rigorous background check, because they refuse to make any exceptions. Which is good.
    Last edited by myth; 08-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    "We see unmistakably the sort of universe in which we have all along been living, and must come to terms with it. If we had foolish un-Christian hopes about human culture, they are now shattered. If we thought we were building up a heaven on earth, if we looked for something that would turn the present world from a place of pilgrimage into a permanent city satisfying the soul of man, we are disillusioned, and not a moment too soon." - C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by myth View Post
    I'm not part of regular scouting anymore (though I was as a kid). However, I'm an adult leader with a program under the BSA umbrella of youth programs. We have to do "Youth Protection" training every two years. It's basically training to reiterate their multiple policies to avoid abuse of any sort -- which include, what do they call it? "Two deep leadership" or something. Basically you can't have any event without two adults present. You can't ever be alone with a youth or youths (two adults at all times, even if there are multiple youth present). One of the two adults has to be an adult leader (basically, been through background checks and current on their Youth Protection Training Certification). Technically, you're not allowed to even text a youth directly, one on one. You're supposed to make it a group chat and include another adult leader.

BSA failed to protect the youth in the past, but they've taken serious steps to keep current youth safe. They're so strict about the leadership thing, I had to submit to their criminal background check even though I'm a law enforcement officer and have already been through a far more rigorous background check, because they refuse to make any exceptions. Which is good.
    That sounds a bit encouraging. As I remind my leaders at Church - we live in a whole different world now.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think part of the problem with the RCC is that on a high up level, they've sent hints that perhaps they just don't care that much.
    Not just don't care about victims, but protect abusers, aid and abet. Victims say Boy Scouts of USA is same.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.