Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boy Scouts Pedophilia Scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    No, it was just a weird situation. They let the leader's son get away with bloody murder, but that adult leader just had it out for me. He once came up to me and accused me of talking to everybody about masturbation when I had done nothing even remotely of the sort. I found a much better situation elsewhere and my overall experience with Scouts ended up being positive in the end.
    We had Royal Ambassadors in church when I was a kid, and a great bunch of decent men who led -- and we got to do all kinds of woodsy things, and buildy things, and rockety things...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I wonder if that might have had something to do with the "no boy alone with a man not his father" thing.
      I'm not part of regular scouting anymore (though I was as a kid). However, I'm an adult leader with a program under the BSA umbrella of youth programs. We have to do "Youth Protection" training every two years. It's basically training to reiterate their multiple policies to avoid abuse of any sort -- which include, what do they call it? "Two deep leadership" or something. Basically you can't have any event without two adults present. You can't ever be alone with a youth or youths (two adults at all times, even if there are multiple youth present). One of the two adults has to be an adult leader (basically, been through background checks and current on their Youth Protection Training Certification). Technically, you're not allowed to even text a youth directly, one on one. You're supposed to make it a group chat and include another adult leader.

BSA failed to protect the youth in the past, but they've taken serious steps to keep current youth safe. They're so strict about the leadership thing, I had to submit to their criminal background check even though I'm a law enforcement officer and have already been through a far more rigorous background check, because they refuse to make any exceptions. Which is good.
      Last edited by myth; 08-10-2019, 11:30 AM.
      "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
        I'm not part of regular scouting anymore (though I was as a kid). However, I'm an adult leader with a program under the BSA umbrella of youth programs. We have to do "Youth Protection" training every two years. It's basically training to reiterate their multiple policies to avoid abuse of any sort -- which include, what do they call it? "Two deep leadership" or something. Basically you can't have any event without two adults present. You can't ever be alone with a youth or youths (two adults at all times, even if there are multiple youth present). One of the two adults has to be an adult leader (basically, been through background checks and current on their Youth Protection Training Certification). Technically, you're not allowed to even text a youth directly, one on one. You're supposed to make it a group chat and include another adult leader.

BSA failed to protect the youth in the past, but they've taken serious steps to keep current youth safe. They're so strict about the leadership thing, I had to submit to their criminal background check even though I'm a law enforcement officer and have already been through a far more rigorous background check, because they refuse to make any exceptions. Which is good.
        That sounds a bit encouraging. As I remind my leaders at Church - we live in a whole different world now.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I think part of the problem with the RCC is that on a high up level, they've sent hints that perhaps they just don't care that much.
          Not just don't care about victims, but protect abusers, aid and abet. Victims say Boy Scouts of USA is same.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment