Solein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solein

If this is legitimate it could change the world.
    sigpic

What is it? Your post provides no context.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Solein

We have plenty of locusts and tofu - not sure anyone is hungry enough for the new 'wonder food'.

Also, it's dumb - famine simply ISN'T the problem any longer - we can literally feed the planet from the US alone. The problem of hunger is political, not resource.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Solein

We have plenty of locusts and tofu - not sure anyone is hungry enough for the new 'wonder food'.

Also, it's dumb - famine simply ISN'T the problem any longer - we can literally feed the planet from the US alone. The problem of hunger is political, not resource.
        The fact that it can be produced in such quantities amazes me.
        It is true however that politics and natural disasters have a part to play.
        I hope this can help people.
        sigpic

Comment

I have no belief that we will ever have a perfect society on earth. I do think we can make things better.
          sigpic

Comment

I have no issue with trying to improve things - but your using a screw driver when you need a wheelbarrow.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              I have no issue with trying to improve things - but your using a screw driver when you need a wheelbarrow.
              Well personally I want to change all kinds of things. Ever heard the song Everybody Wants to Rule the World? Truth is I cant and honestly shouldn't rule the world.

I admit I am no expert on food starvation exports , or food preservation. I know from history that places like the USSR had government caused starvation. I know that during the great depression pigs and cows were burned. I admit though I have no idea how to solve global problems.

I donate food to food pantries sometimes.

Things like this and the world literacy foundation and many other things excite me because of how they can improve things.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                Well personally I want to change all kinds of things. Ever heard the song Everybody Wants to Rule the World? Truth is I cant and honestly shouldn't rule the world.

I admit I am no expert on food starvation exports , or food preservation. I know from history that places like the USSR had government caused starvation. I know that during the great depression pigs and cows were burned. I admit though I have no idea how to solve global problems.

I donate food to food pantries sometimes.

Things like this and the world literacy foundation and many other things excite me because of how they can improve things.
                Nothing wrong with any of that. My issue is diverting resources into creating a technological solution for a political problem - because it literally cannot work.

When the famine hit Africa in the '80's the US and Europe produced - and sent - more than enough food. Most of it was either diverted to the black market and never got anywhere near the folks who needed it - or it was deliberately withheld from them by their own governments. A good bit of it rotted on docks while people starved. There wasn't a food shortage - there was a political distribution take over.

This scenario plays out over and over again. We can produce plenty of food. We can provide assistance with land reclamation (this gets us into another set of tricky political issues - but here at least innovation can help). There's no need for famine to ever take another life - but we cannot force governments to care about all of their people and we cannot make warring factions stop using food as a weapon. Even with military intervention, our options are limited.

That doesn't mean it's hopeless - it does mean we have to be very particular when we ship food to starving people and we have to use all our political clout to make sure it gets where it is supposed to go.

Wonder products that require large scale infrastructure are fine - in First World nations that have the infrastructure - but they are often detrimental when introduced to places that do not have the infrastructure to support them. A lot of very well intentioned programs have resulted in people being worse off because once the outside support stopped, the people couldn't - or wouldn't - provide it themselves.

I'm enthusiastic about rotational grazing - we've seen solid results both here and in Africa. We need to find workable solutions that work for the people who live there to desertification. Economic issues of both land control and business acumen need to be addressed. Lots and lots of things are being done - and we need to do lots more - but with a weather eye on what is actually feasible for the folks that live there.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Sounds like it could be a good source of food for long duration space travel, or colonizing Mars until they can get gardens and raising animals up and running.

And it beats Soylent Green.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    If this is legitimate it could change the world.
                    Please see the updated Decorum:

Source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/faq.php?faq=theologywebdecorum#faq_decorumetiquette

Please do not start a thread with just a link or a title with a non-descriptive one line post. - You may start a thread with articles or other larger pieces posted in accordance with our copyright rules without further commentary from the thread starter but include a link to the source article in addition to the article text.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment