Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

There is no way to Win - the Left Just Enjoys Hating Trump too Much.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
    What I mean is that this stunt is not intended to make a difference, and it won’t.
    Yes, it's always best to assume the worst of those doing good, and to insist that their efforts won't really make a difference.

It's attitudes like yours that make the world a better place.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      You're not helping.
      That is never his intent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But it did. When a neighborhood looks like a dump, there's no reason not to dump additional trash. When you have a clean slate, it's a lot more impactful to dump that first load of trash.

Let's pretend you're capable of actual discourse -- are you aware of the broken windows theory?
        Let’s hope that you are right. Let’s see that effort being sustained and supported.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Let’s hope that you are right. Let’s see that effort being sustained and supported.
          If I lived in one of those neighborhoods, and a bunch of people came and cleaned up all the garbage, I'd be far more grateful than critical. Might consider that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

gift horse.jpg

Go ahead and look - just don't blame us when you get bit.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              If I lived in one of those neighborhoods, and a bunch of people came and cleaned up all the garbage, I'd be far more grateful than critical. Might consider that.
              I think the residents were very grateful for the help they received. I'm sure that the volunteers likewise were pleased that they were able to help. It just seems to me that there is another aspect to this event, and it is worth looking at why it happened. To you, it may not matter.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

I think the residents were very grateful for the help they received. I'm sure that the volunteers likewise were pleased that they were able to help.
                You really shoulda stopped right here.

It just seems to me that there is another aspect to this event, and it is worth looking at why it happened. To you, it may not matter.
                You mean like because attention was drawn to the problem? As has been noted the person behind it planned on going up to Baltimore and helping out by himself but as folks got wind of it they started telling others and suddenly there was a whole group going up to help.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

You mean like because attention was drawn to the problem? ...
                  You will recall that this started because Rep, Elijah Cummings was critical of the inhumane conditions under which prisoners where being held in the concentration camps at the southern border, to which, Trump argued that Baltimore was even worse while calling Cummings a brutal bully.

So Presler, goes Goebbels mode, very cleverly, to move the focus of attention.

Comment

You will recall that this started because Rep, Elijah Cummings was critical of the inhumane conditions under which prisoners where being held in the concentration camps at the southern border, to which, Trump argued that Baltimore was even worse while calling Cummings a brutal bully.

So Presler, goes Goebbels mode, very cleverly, to move the focus of attention.
                    facepalm3.gif

That little rant does not speak to the motive of Scott Pressler but does speak volumes about your own fetid imagination. But then, why should I bother, since you really are nothing more than a

Comment

You will recall that this started because Rep, Elijah Cummings....
                      ... went on a typical political hypocritical rant.

Next?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        So have I. To the point at one time I had a knife drawn on me in high school. Another time litterally spat upon by someone. You and Teal are nothing special in that regard.
                        I had my life threatened at 4 years old, have been spit on, hit, and permanently disabled by the acts of bullies. To put what you've experienced here on the same level as actual bullying is to devalue the term. Stop doing that, you just undermine a cause you claim to support. Being called an idiot a handful of times, and being told to stop being a jerk to not equate to cyber bullying.

That you think you were only mirroring me is interesting, but incorrect. It has gone way beyond a simple mirror. As for self refection, where is the evidence any of my attackers have engaged in one moment of self refection?
                        That evidence is in the many, many posts addressed to you. You have shown yourself incapable of doing what you said you would, which was focus on ideas rather than people.

I wasn't mirroring you, that was Teal. I only pointed out to you, alongside herself and others, that she was doing that. You justified your vile rhetoric as a "wake up call". Anyone can go back and read the posts. I went back and read many of them just now. I gave an accurate description of what happened.

CP is one of the few that is actually trying to take a step back and interact with me without continuing personal attacks in response to a previosly percieved wrong. And the irony there is that of all the people here that i've lost my battle with decency over, i was perhaps the harshest with him.

OK, I will accept my part in this:

I hereby apologize to Teal, CP, Sparko, MM, or any other TWEB person i've lost the battle with decency with and succombed to the tempstion to lash out because of a percieved attack. And I commit to all of you to do the best I can not to repeat the offense.

Jim
                        If I'm remembering right you've done this before, and there has been no real change. The last paragraph of MaxVel's previous response is how I expect things to go with your interactions with anyone who mildly disagrees with you. So, I'm done. I'm going to try and just ignore your posts from now on.

Edit: You can see this all as a vile accusation, or a wake up call. I'll leave that to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                          I had my life threatened at 4 years old, have been spit on, hit, and permanently disabled by the acts of bullies. To put what you've experienced here on the same level as actual bullying is to devalue the term. Stop doing that, you just undermine a cause you claim to support. Being called an idiot a handful of times, and being told to stop being a jerk to not equate to cyber bullying.

That evidence is in the many, many posts addressed to you. You have shown yourself incapable of doing what you said you would, which was focus on ideas rather than people.

I wasn't mirroring you, that was Teal. I only pointed out to you, alongside herself and others, that she was doing that. You justified your vile rhetoric as a "wake up call". Anyone can go back and read the posts. I went back and read many of them just now. I gave an accurate description of what happened.

If I'm remembering right you've done this before, and there has been no real change. The last paragraph of MaxVel's previous response is how I expect things to go with your interactions with anyone who mildly disagrees with you. So, I'm done. I'm going to try and just ignore your posts from now on.

Edit: You can see this all as a vile accusation, or a wake up call. I'll leave that to you.
                          May God richly bless you.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-10-2019, 09:42 PM.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            That is never his intent.
                            demi tells truth about oxmix. That is real love, tough love. Not 'nice' help.
                            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              It is bullying, as is this section of your post. I have been verbally spit upon over and over in this thread alone, and having actually been spat upon, it doesnt feel much different.

As for what you endured, that is truly sad, and am not going to play a game of one upsmanship with you. But you and teal act like I know nothing of what it means to be bullied or abused, and that is simply false.

In your zeal to 'put me in my place', you have not understood what happened with maxvel, nor have you accurateky represented what has happened since.

Reading them out of context and full of the disdain and indignation driving this post have simply led you to confirn your own biased view of who I am.

You do not remember correctly. First. I genuinely apoologized then. Second, why my response to maxvel occurred was due to being overwhelmed by the group piling on much as they have done in this thread and I misunderstood his entry into the discussion and responded much too harshly to him.
                              Once I realized what I had done I immediately apologized. And I was very upset with myself for not being more careful.

My promise at that time was to try harder not to respond indiscriminarely to one person out of frustration with a group, and specifically to endeavor to provide an extra measure of care with him if he ever chose to engage with me again.

And I have done all I know to do to keep that promise to this day, though Im sure if you look you can find tines I've failed.

As for a wake up call. What my experience in this thread and others have shown me is how horrble it is for those that are despised by a large group of people because they hold opinions or beliefs that are contrary to those around them. It has helped me see the sadness and frustration they must feel as their attempts to find community are continually rebuffed by irrational demands and false or, more importantly, distorted accusations.

I entered this thread with goodwill. But as I see it any harsh words from me in this thread were only me defending myself against personal attacks. I am sincere in my apology for whatever I have said that can be interpreted as unprovoked attacks, but I also realize that in this environment i can not defend myself in any way whatsoever without at least one of you interpreting my act of self defense as an act of unjustified offense.

So as it is now, I have no capacity for defense against personal, below the belt attack unless honest people observing what is happening will speak up.

Jim
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                First of all, you need to drop the victim mentality and your rush to blame everybody else. It's not helping you.

Secondly, you mention JimL, Tassman, Charles, etc. and say that we should treat them better, but these are people who have been members of this forum for many, many years and have had the truth of the gospel carefully and clearly explained to them hundreds, and possibly even thousands of times, but they spit in our face and mock the cross. Even Jesus didn't put up with that kind of nonsense and had no problem with putting mockers in their place. I can't see how we should be expected to do any less.
                                I notice the irony of the victim mentality in the second part of your post right after you asked someone else to drop it.

Anyway, speakning only on behalf of myself, obviously, I can say that your post with your false aqusations is yet another demonstration of why I think you have misunderstood what Christianity is. The childish name calling, the personal attacks, portraying of other actual persons as dogs that I have seen from people who call themselves Christians is not even the worst part of it. The worst part is that the radical message of Jesus, his message that you should love the least of these, that you should even love your enemies, seemingly leads people to conclude that it is ok to dehumanize, it is ok to put children in cages, it is ok to rely on personal attacks and it is ok to rely on relativism.

When I read the Bible, I am confronted with a strength and a message that is not only far beyond what I see on tweb. It is also radically different in quite many cases.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment