Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Over Reacting

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Question Am I Over Reacting

About a year ago, the church I attend announced they were going to go through The Story (https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu...gateway&sr=8-2) as the Sunday teaching including the sermons.

What really bothers me is during the Sunday Service when this was being presented as the new Fall program, they had a woman get up front and say something like "The Bible I can't understand but The Story I can." I know most people don't know the Bible at the pastor or theologian level and that's fine. But for the church to present someone not able to understand the Bible at all seems out of line.

To me, The Story is a watered down Christianity. It may not qualify as "another Gospel" but it seems to me dangerously close. Don't get me wrong. I read a lot of Christian books to supplement and help me understand what the Bible is saying. But I recognize those books are not the Bible and are to be read in the light of the Bible. After scanning through my free copy, The Story is presented as another version of the Bible. Sort of like the Message Bible but with a lot of stuff missing. For example, Jesus' teachings are pretty much reduced to the Sermon on the Mount.

It seems to me this church has lost it's way and no longer serves God. What do you think?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's a children's bible aimed at adults with no pictures? Because most adults should be able to read the Bible. I could read it when I was 9! The actual Bible, not the watered down kid's Bible. Do churches need to teach reading comprehension skills?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wouldn't want to sit through The Story. The sunday teaching or message should go directly through scripture and, sometimes, urgent messages for the current era.

But I also find Christian inspirational books to be boring -- at least what I've picked up.

4. Amen NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    About a year ago, the church I attend announced they were going to go through The Story (https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu...gateway&sr=8-2) as the Sunday teaching including the sermons.

What really bothers me is during the Sunday Service when this was being presented as the new Fall program, they had a woman get up front and say something like "The Bible I can't understand but The Story I can." I know most people don't know the Bible at the pastor or theologian level and that's fine. But for the church to present someone not able to understand the Bible at all seems out of line.

To me, The Story is a watered down Christianity. It may not qualify as "another Gospel" but it seems to me dangerously close. Don't get me wrong. I read a lot of Christian books to supplement and help me understand what the Bible is saying. But I recognize those books are not the Bible and are to be read in the light of the Bible. After scanning through my free copy, The Story is presented as another version of the Bible. Sort of like the Message Bible but with a lot of stuff missing. For example, Jesus' teachings are pretty much reduced to the Sermon on the Mount.

It seems to me this church has lost it's way and no longer serves God. What do you think?
    I think you are right. If the deep things of scripture are being taught, the Spirit will bring understanding, and the more things are understood, the deeper one wants to go. So many churches are dumbing down the deep things and so nobody has the desire to go deeper.
    Last edited by mossrose; 08-08-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Agreed. Why are there so many adult Christians that should still be in Bible Buddies? Scratch that, the children(1st through 5th grade) at my church likely have a better understanding of the Bible than them!

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

From the Amazon reviews, it sounds like your church is far from the only one doing this. It's supposed to be an abridged version of a chronological bible, but appears to have been poorly executed (and the NIV is about the most boring translation out there). I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with such a church. Then again, I'm dissatisfied with Protestant churches in general, so the difference in this case is merely one of degree. I don't think anyone would be satisfied with that level of Christianity for long; either they're going to drift away from the faith entirely or leave for something more substantial.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I am thankful the children are being taught better than this at my church, but the adult Sunday School material still isn't deep enough for me. The Christianity classes at the Christian college I went to spoiled my appetite for high school level lessons(seriously, I think the typical Sunday School book would work just as well in the youth department!). They were so rich and meaty! Yes, I am comparing the college level religious class to a good steak. I understand Churches can't provide seminary level material, but they could still explore the context of a passage! They just assume that those looking for deeper material can educate themselves.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Preach the Word - and allow the Holy Spirit to work.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

11. Amen Christianbookworm, NorrinRadd amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As I've often said, the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand, but complex enough that you could study it for a lifetime and still learn something new every single day (and isn't that exactly what you would expect from a divinely inspired book?).

There's no need for a simplified version, and I would be suspicious of any church that set the Bible aside in favor of another book.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    When I took a class on the books of the Bible written by John, it was said the Gospel according to John was simple enough for a child to inderstand and deep enough to drown an elephant.