Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Am I Over Reacting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Over Reacting

About a year ago, the church I attend announced they were going to go through The Story (https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu...gateway&sr=8-2) as the Sunday teaching including the sermons.

What really bothers me is during the Sunday Service when this was being presented as the new Fall program, they had a woman get up front and say something like "The Bible I can't understand but The Story I can." I know most people don't know the Bible at the pastor or theologian level and that's fine. But for the church to present someone not able to understand the Bible at all seems out of line.

To me, The Story is a watered down Christianity. It may not qualify as "another Gospel" but it seems to me dangerously close. Don't get me wrong. I read a lot of Christian books to supplement and help me understand what the Bible is saying. But I recognize those books are not the Bible and are to be read in the light of the Bible. After scanning through my free copy, The Story is presented as another version of the Bible. Sort of like the Message Bible but with a lot of stuff missing. For example, Jesus' teachings are pretty much reduced to the Sermon on the Mount.

It seems to me this church has lost it's way and no longer serves God. What do you think?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

It's a children's bible aimed at adults with no pictures? Because most adults should be able to read the Bible. I could read it when I was 9! The actual Bible, not the watered down kid's Bible. Do churches need to teach reading comprehension skills?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I wouldn't want to sit through The Story. The sunday teaching or message should go directly through scripture and, sometimes, urgent messages for the current era.

But I also find Christian inspirational books to be boring -- at least what I've picked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
        About a year ago, the church I attend announced they were going to go through The Story (https://www.amazon.com/Story-Continu...gateway&sr=8-2) as the Sunday teaching including the sermons.

What really bothers me is during the Sunday Service when this was being presented as the new Fall program, they had a woman get up front and say something like "The Bible I can't understand but The Story I can." I know most people don't know the Bible at the pastor or theologian level and that's fine. But for the church to present someone not able to understand the Bible at all seems out of line.

To me, The Story is a watered down Christianity. It may not qualify as "another Gospel" but it seems to me dangerously close. Don't get me wrong. I read a lot of Christian books to supplement and help me understand what the Bible is saying. But I recognize those books are not the Bible and are to be read in the light of the Bible. After scanning through my free copy, The Story is presented as another version of the Bible. Sort of like the Message Bible but with a lot of stuff missing. For example, Jesus' teachings are pretty much reduced to the Sermon on the Mount.

It seems to me this church has lost it's way and no longer serves God. What do you think?
        I think you are right. If the deep things of scripture are being taught, the Spirit will bring understanding, and the more things are understood, the deeper one wants to go. So many churches are dumbing down the deep things and so nobody has the desire to go deeper.
        Last edited by mossrose; 08-08-2019, 02:04 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Agreed. Why are there so many adult Christians that should still be in Bible Buddies? Scratch that, the children(1st through 5th grade) at my church likely have a better understanding of the Bible than them!

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

From the Amazon reviews, it sounds like your church is far from the only one doing this. It's supposed to be an abridged version of a chronological bible, but appears to have been poorly executed (and the NIV is about the most boring translation out there). I certainly wouldn't be satisfied with such a church. Then again, I'm dissatisfied with Protestant churches in general, so the difference in this case is merely one of degree. I don't think anyone would be satisfied with that level of Christianity for long; either they're going to drift away from the faith entirely or leave for something more substantial.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I am thankful the children are being taught better than this at my church, but the adult Sunday School material still isn't deep enough for me. The Christianity classes at the Christian college I went to spoiled my appetite for high school level lessons(seriously, I think the typical Sunday School book would work just as well in the youth department!). They were so rich and meaty! Yes, I am comparing the college level religious class to a good steak. I understand Churches can't provide seminary level material, but they could still explore the context of a passage! They just assume that those looking for deeper material can educate themselves.

Comment

Preach the Word - and allow the Holy Spirit to work.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As I've often said, the Bible is simple enough for a child to understand, but complex enough that you could study it for a lifetime and still learn something new every single day (and isn't that exactly what you would expect from a divinely inspired book?).

There's no need for a simplified version, and I would be suspicious of any church that set the Bible aside in favor of another book.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

When I took a class on the books of the Bible written by John, it was said the Gospel according to John was simple enough for a child to inderstand and deep enough to drown an elephant.

Comment

If you still need milksop, the problem is you, not the Bible.
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Again, preteens have better reading comprehension skills than these"adults"? If they have trouble reading, they can use an audiobook version of the Bible.

Comment

It's probably not an inability to comprehend but simply intellectual laziness. They want something that's easily digestible without really having to think about it.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If the general state of affairs at your church is that the adults need a simplified version of the Bible, something is very, very wrong. The people need to be taught deeper stuff so that their understanding increases, not have their curriculum dumbed down so that they can stagnate.

I was in a similar situation once, and I found a new church.
                            Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

And that is how people get conned by the prosperity "gospel", Was it not said that we should be as innocent as doves and as wise as serpents?

Comment